🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Difficult client
Page options
bushra_a
Community Member

Difficult client

How to say no if a client doesn't create a new milestone and asking for work? He didn't even make payment for the last project. I am really disappointed.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

Does it take hours to create a milestone and approve it????

No! Minutes.

From now on, every time the client asks you to work you say "Yes, sure, I look forward to it. I'll get started as soon as the old milestone has been paid and the new milestone has been funded." and you leave it at that. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

How to say no if a client doesn't create a new milestone and asking for work? He didn't even make payment for the last project. I am really disappointed.

You say No by saying Yes. You say "Sure, great idea, I'd love to help you with this. Why don't you go ahead and pay me for the last project we did together, and set up the new milestone, then I can get started."

How did the cluent not pay you for the last project? Did you not have a properly funded milestone?

Otherwise you can just say "No" politely. Being freelancer means you can just walk away from clients.

bushra_a
Community Member

Thank you Petra. It was a fixed price job. He approved two milestones for the two projects. Then he asked for a new job. I said to create a new milestone and he said he would. I thought he did. But after sending the file I noticed that he didn't actually make any, let alone approve it. Now, he's asking for 3 more tasks. I asked him to clear the previous bill and make a new milestone for the new task. He said he will but still no news about the milestone. Does it take hours to create a milestone and approve it????

petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

Does it take hours to create a milestone and approve it????

No! Minutes.

From now on, every time the client asks you to work you say "Yes, sure, I look forward to it. I'll get started as soon as the old milestone has been paid and the new milestone has been funded." and you leave it at that. 

bushra_a
Community Member

Thank you, Petra. From now on, I will definitely follow your advice.

bushra_a
Community Member

Hello Petra! Please let me know what should I do now. He kept ignoring my message for the previous payment and new milestones and asking to complete the new tasks. Can I end the contract by myself? I am worried that he will give a bad review and rating, which will affect my JSS. I have maintained 100% JSS for the last couple of months and I don't want anybody to ruin it. 😞 

petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

Hello Petra! Please let me know what should I do now. He kept ignoring my message for the previous payment and new milestones and asking to complete the new tasks. 

As I said: From now on, every time the client asks you to work you say "Yes, sure, I look forward to it. I'll get started as soon as the old milestone has been paid and the new milestone has been funded." and you leave it at that. 

If he asks you again you tell him the same thing. 

Bushra A wrote:

Can I end the contract by myself? I am worried that he will give a bad review and rating, which will affect my JSS. I have maintained 100% JSS for the last couple of months and I don't want anybody to ruin it. 😞 

How about you tell the client to pay the previous milestone and then close the contract, and send a new contract offer for the new work.

That way you won't get poor feedback for the existing contract. When the new offer arrives, decline it.

bushra_a
Community Member

Earlier I told him to send a new contract. He didn't do that either. I think he won't pay anymore. He's planning to get as much work he can get done by me. Every time I ask for clearing the payment he says- 'where's the new work?'  so irritating. As there's no active milestone can I end the contract? I think he needs the money more  than I do, so I have decided to give away.

petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

can I end the contract? .

Of course you can. Don't forget to leave honest feedback!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members