🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Difficult customer, endless changes to th...
Page options
mammapata
Community Member

Difficult customer, endless changes to the project

I have a problem with a customer: we started work three months ago and although the delivery date was at the end of July, I can't even close the first milestone!

The customer took a long time to send me feedback on the first sending of my graphic proposals, so I sent the work with the payment request and she asked for changes and I made them. 

The 14 days established by Upwork have passed, the customer has canceled my payment request and asked me for other changes!
I have sent again the work done requesting again the payment of the first milestone, but the customer keeps saying he's not satisfied and keeps wasting my time with endless changes.

Is it possible that Upwork allows the customer to eliminate my request for payment and go on forever requesting changes?
What can I do to get out of this endless chain?
I feel so frustrated...

Thank you so much!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Emy,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

I would like to add that you can open a dispute for your contract at any time. If you decide to open a dispute you can do so, by following the steps in this Help Article under the section "To file a dispute on an active contract". Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Is it possible that Upwork allows the customer to eliminate my request for payment and go on forever requesting changes?
I feel so frustrated...

Thank you so much!

I beleive that they can - yes.

However, i dont know if you can setup a dispute for this (im not suggesting you do this at the moment neccesarily, i'm just wondering if it could be a possibility)

I always try and setup milestones that cover 1 revision. After that point, if i feel the need i can ask the client to activate the next milestone so we can continue with further revisions (as the milestone has been copmpleted).

I also try and make the initial milestones a higher value than the later ones, as (for me at least) this is where the majority of the design work is and any tweaks after that point are usually minimal.

I think you're right!
He's my first difficult client and I have to learn a lot about these little tricks. 

I guess it depends on what the milestone provides - If you have done the work described in the milestone then you should obviously be paid for it. 

Is the client trying to change things that he has already changed once? 

Just as an idea, could you try explaining to the client nicely that you can do one more round of revisions for this milestone but any further revisions would need to be charged for?

Please leave accurate feedback for this client when the project ends, so other freelancers will know what it's like to work with him.

Of course, I will!

drahony
Community Member

It is the most frustrating thing. I recently had a client pile on change after change for what was meant to be a small incremental job. 2 hours work became almost 2 days work but I couldn't risk the bad feedback by standing my ground.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Emy,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

I would like to add that you can open a dispute for your contract at any time. If you decide to open a dispute you can do so, by following the steps in this Help Article under the section "To file a dispute on an active contract". Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

When a client wants to make things difficult, he will do it regardless of everything.

The worst thing is when they start offending your work by saying that they don't like what you've done but if you follow their advice you might be able to improve it. Smiley Frustrated

Luckily 95% of the customers are wonderful people, for the remaining 5%... you need a lot of patience and calm! 

Thank you, everyone!

kat303
Community Member

Emy F wrote:

I have a problem with a customer: we started work three months ago and although the delivery date was at the end of July, I can't even close the first milestone!

The customer took a long time to send me feedback on the first sending of my graphic proposals, so I sent the work with the payment request and she asked for changes and I made them. 

The 14 days established by Upwork have passed, the customer has canceled my payment request and asked me for other changes!
I have sent again the work done requesting again the payment of the first milestone, but the customer keeps saying he's not satisfied and keeps wasting my time with endless changes.

I feel so frustrated...

Thank you so much!

-----------------------

Hi XXX. The scope of this job has gone way above and beyond what was originally called for on this project. I will finish this last modification. If you need any more modifications you will need to close this contract and open a new hourly contract. Once you do that, I'll be more then happy to do whatever modifications you need otherwise, if you don't need any more modifications after this, you can release payment and close this job. How do you want to proceed with this job?

You have let this job get way out of hand. It's time YOU took charge. If you don't get a positive response with the above messag and/or If he sends another modification after that message, then your next step would be to start a dispute and take it all the way up to arbitration if you have to. This client is trying to scam you. Don't let him win. Stand your ground. He's playing with you in the hopes you'll get so frustrated that you'll refund all the money and he'll get free work. Don't reward him by doing that. And don't worry about any negative feedback. You're top rated and you have a perk where you can delete any public and private feedback that you might get. 

mammapata
Community Member

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll try not to be discouraged! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths