Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Difficult customer, endless changes to the project

Active Member
Emy F Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
1 of 12

I have a problem with a customer: we started work three months ago and although the delivery date was at the end of July, I can't even close the first milestone!


The customer took a long time to send me feedback on the first sending of my graphic proposals, so I sent the work with the payment request and she asked for changes and I made them. 

The 14 days established by Upwork have passed, the customer has canceled my payment request and asked me for other changes!
I have sent again the work done requesting again the payment of the first milestone, but the customer keeps saying he's not satisfied and keeps wasting my time with endless changes.

 

Is it possible that Upwork allows the customer to eliminate my request for payment and go on forever requesting changes?
What can I do to get out of this endless chain?
I feel so frustrated...

 

Thank you so much!

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
2 of 12

Is it possible that Upwork allows the customer to eliminate my request for payment and go on forever requesting changes?
What can I do to get out of this endless chain?
I feel so frustrated...

 

Thank you so much!


I beleive that they can - yes.

 

However, i dont know if you can setup a dispute for this (im not suggesting you do this at the moment neccesarily, i'm just wondering if it could be a possibility)

 

I always try and setup milestones that cover 1 revision. After that point, if i feel the need i can ask the client to activate the next milestone so we can continue with further revisions (as the milestone has been copmpleted).

I also try and make the initial milestones a higher value than the later ones, as (for me at least) this is where the majority of the design work is and any tweaks after that point are usually minimal.

Active Member
Emy F Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
3 of 12

I think you're right!
He's my first difficult client and I have to learn a lot about these little tricks. 

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
4 of 12

I guess it depends on what the milestone provides - If you have done the work described in the milestone then you should obviously be paid for it. 

Is the client trying to change things that he has already changed once? 

 

Just as an idea, could you try explaining to the client nicely that you can do one more round of revisions for this milestone but any further revisions would need to be charged for?

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
5 of 12

Please leave accurate feedback for this client when the project ends, so other freelancers will know what it's like to work with him.

Active Member
Emy F Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
6 of 12

Of course, I will!

Active Member
Martin D Member Since: Jul 16, 2019
7 of 12

It is the most frustrating thing. I recently had a client pile on change after change for what was meant to be a small incremental job. 2 hours work became almost 2 days work but I couldn't risk the bad feedback by standing my ground.

 

 

Community Guru
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
8 of 12

So upwork can do nothing about it ? What's the benefit of escrow then ?


Marvelous.
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
9 of 12

Hi Emy,

 

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

I would like to add that you can open a dispute for your contract at any time. If you decide to open a dispute you can do so, by following the steps in this Help Article under the section "To file a dispute on an active contract". Thank you.


Untitled
Active Member
Emy F Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
10 of 12

When a client wants to make things difficult, he will do it regardless of everything.

The worst thing is when they start offending your work by saying that they don't like what you've done but if you follow their advice you might be able to improve it. Smiley Frustrated

Luckily 95% of the customers are wonderful people, for the remaining 5%... you need a lot of patience and calm! 

Thank you, everyone!


TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS