🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Difficult project and client is watching me o...
Page options
nelmaff
Community Member

Difficult project and client is watching me on Google docs.

I have a difficult project and the client goes onto Google docs and watches whenever I log on. It makes me really nervous. 

Also, I may want to end this contract, but I'm afraid of a bad review. How should I handle this?

Thanks,

Nancy M.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is the client's job. He will watch if he wants to.

If the job doesn't meet with your approval, you don't need to continue doing it.

A lot of the times when I hire freelancers it is to have them do something on my computer while I watch. Of course, I DO specify that doing so is part of the job. I suppose your current client could have been a better client if he has specified that he would be doing this.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
wescowley
Community Member

Nancy M wrote:

I have a difficult project and the client goes onto Google docs and watches whenever I log on. It makes me really nervous. 

Also, I may want to end this contract, but I'm afraid of a bad review. How should I handle this?

There are a few options, depending on the type of work you're doing

1) Copy the Google doc to your own drive account (making sure to use the copy comments option). When you're done, share it with the client and tell them to copy it back to their account (again, using the copy comments option). I've done this with complicated edit & format jobs to avoid changes being made while I'm working.

2) Download the doc to Word, do your work there, and send it back to them to reimport to Google docs. Comments and changes will carry forward.

3) Politely ask the client to stay out of the doc until you're done.

If you end the contract, you are Top Rated so you can have any negative review removed.

Thank you. That sounds complicated to do, but I can try it. Yes, I am Top Rated Plus, so I guess I can delete the review if I want to.

It is the client's job. He will watch if he wants to.

If the job doesn't meet with your approval, you don't need to continue doing it.

A lot of the times when I hire freelancers it is to have them do something on my computer while I watch. Of course, I DO specify that doing so is part of the job. I suppose your current client could have been a better client if he has specified that he would be doing this.

Yes, I understand. I[ve never had that situation before, though. All my other clients have just let me be to do the work. This guy must get a notification whenever I log on to docs, and he comes right on and watches what I'm typing. It's unnerving -- not helpful.

No argument that it is kind of weird.

To each his own, I guess.

Yes, it certainly is. It unnerves me, but I keep working through it.

I always write in Word and then copy/paste into google docs. I'm just used to using word, so I find it easier that way. 

This is a complicated Excel spreadsheet, so I can't really copy and paste. I have to be on the doc itself, unfortunately.

It is entirely possible that the reason the client is using Google Sheets is due to its collaborative nature.

This is clearly a feature that is core to the nature of Google Sheets/Google Docs and not something one would try to do with Excel: Watching a person work, or working together on the same document simultaneously.

I'm sorry. It's not Excel, but the spreadsheet in Google docs. Yes, it is
collaborative, but unnerving just the same.

Really? I'll have to investigate that.
Thank you!
petra_r
Community Member

Nancy L M wrote:
Really? I'll have to investigate that.
Thank you!

works perfectly. I do it all the time. I don't tolerate people hopping in and out of files I work on very well at all.

nelmaff
Community Member

Thank you so much! That really helps.
66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Nancy L, 

I am also a freelancer. I am a Content Writer. But I am highly professional. I believe one cannot do quality work if one is not mentally relaxed. I have worked with many clients, they put trust in us and handle their projects. If anyhow, a client has not built trust, why he delivers his project.

Mutual trust building is essential for giving and taking projects.

Best,

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/
nelmaff
Community Member

Thank you, Naheed. Yes, I too have had many projects, and this is the first one that has unnerved me like this. I'm working on the project anyway, and trying to ignore his icon face in the right hand corner.

66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Nancy, 

There are a few options, you can opt anyone to avoid nervousness you're feeling while doing this project. 

• Ask the client politely to stay away from the Google doc until you're done.
  • Download the Google doc to Word, do all the work here and when you complete the task, reimport it to the google doc.
  • If you cancel the contract and get a negative review, you are Top Rated. You can get the negative review removed. 

Thanks

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/

But I don't think it is an accident that the client is using Google Sheets.

There really are work arrangements that are intentionally observational and simultaneously collaborative.

For example, look up "pair programming."

I know many people aren't accustomed to this. But it's thing, and I think that what the original poster's client intends is a variation on this.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 9.29.48 AM.png

Yes, I can appreciate that. He's only observing, though, not collaborating.

tlbp
Community Member

Nancy L M wrote:

Yes, I can appreciate that. He's only observing, though, not collaborating.

I worked on a team where several people left their active project documents open in their tabs all the time. This gives the appearance that they are always on and watching when they are not. We actually had a conversation about it and they had no idea that it was disturbing to some of their other team members (including me). 

nelmaff
Community Member

Yes, I would do that if I could. But it's a spreadsheet I'm working on with over a dozen bottom tabs, so I'm afraid to mess with importing the information. I just will have to stay on the spreadsheet anyway.

petra_r
Community Member

Nancy L M wrote:

Yes, I would do that if I could. But it's a spreadsheet I'm working on with over a dozen bottom tabs, so I'm afraid to mess with importing the information. I just will have to stay on the spreadsheet anyway.

you can choose "make a copy" of the spreadsheet and then work on that. 

in complete privacy

make a copy.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members