douniab

Difficulties after good start

Hi there, 

I have been on Upwork for about three months now and managed to get three small jobs. The jobs have been completed successfully and the clients were really happy with my work and gave me good reviews. I am however having a hard time now to land other jobs and I am not getting any answers to my proposals. I feel like it is more difficult for me now than it was when I first started and had absolutely no reviews or job history. I don't know if it's a matter of luck or if my profile leaves a bad first impression for some reason. I know that I don't have a JSS yet but I was hoping I could land some other small gigs to prove my skills. 

Any insights would be much appreciated. 

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
bucky0319

Hi Dounia,

You have made a good start. Actually, there is enough competition in the field where you are offering services. However, you can still win new jobs by applying in a proper manner. Please read these article on how to write a job winning proposal. I hope they will help you win the job.

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2017/03/eye-catching-proposal/

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs/

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/submitting-a-winning-proposal-on-upwork/

Please keep applying to the jobs that are relevant to your skills and don't lose hope.

Thanks.

Thanks, I will check all of these helpful articles 🙂 

sharonliu

I noticed you are a frontend developer, which is great as I am currently doing a frontend job.

Your profile is pretty good, particularly the portfolio and tests sections. However, your profile overview could be longer.

The key to getting regular work is to land a long-term client. You may need to think about how you are going to find one, e.g. applying for long-term jobs. However, sometimes a job which is temporary may lead to more work from the same client.

With test results like yours, you could be looking at hourly jobs. The pay rate definitely goes up if you move from fixed-price to hourly jobs.

Hourly jobs are defenitely better, but I haven't had the opportunity to get one yet which is probably because of unsufficient work history. 

Hi there, 

I have been on Upwork for about three months now and managed to get three small jobs. The jobs have been completed successfully and the clients were really happy with my work and gave me good reviews. I am however having a hard time now to land other jobs and I am not getting any answers to my proposals. I feel like it is more difficult for me now than it was when I first started and had absolutely no reviews or job history. I don't know if it's a matter of luck or if my profile leaves a bad first impression for some reason. I know that I don't have a JSS yet but I was hoping I could land some other small gigs to prove my skills. 

Any insights would be much appreciated. 

Thanks! 

You mentioned proposals specifically so I'll give a tip about that. Usually our overview is a reflection of what our proposals are like. If that's the case with you, there is a way that you can increase your chances of getting responses. Instead of using "I" so much and explaining your experience and what you do, focus your proposals around the client.

Talk mainly about what they need, ask a thoughtful question and, most importantly, show that you know the end result the client is looking for. In your case, for example, they don't just want a Wordpress theme, they want a site that's attractive, easy to navigate, etc. Talk about those results that you get. That's what clients really want to hear.

It looks like you do beautiful work; that speaks for itself. All the more reason why proposals (and the overview) should focus on potential clients! Hope this helps!