🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Difficulty Getting Started as a Freelancer
Page options
f25903ff
Community Member

Difficulty Getting Started as a Freelancer

I've recently just started out using the freelancer app, and have submitted 7 proposals so far over the past 4 days. I'm a bit concerned because I have not received any responses despite providing, what I believe to be, great cover letters and proposals that fit the poster's budget.

Am I doing something wrong? What aspects of a freelancer profile does your data show posters care about most? Since I have only just started, I don't have any Upwork job history to show. I'm working on getting some testimonials and proof of certifications. The problem with the certifications is that I had done them with an old employer and everything is registered with a Google account I don't have access to anymore.

I appreciate any advice or assistance.

Thanks,
Mike

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

Mike C wrote:

I've recently just started out using the freelancer app, and have submitted 7 proposals so far over the past 4 days. I'm a bit concerned because I have not received any responses despite providing, what I believe to be, great cover letters and proposals that fit the poster's budget.

Am I doing something wrong? What aspects of a freelancer profile does your data show posters care about most? Since I have only just started, I don't have any Upwork job history to show. I'm working on getting some testimonials and proof of certifications. The problem with the certifications is that I had done them with an old employer and everything is registered with a Google account I don't have access to anymore.

I appreciate any advice or assistance.

Thanks,
Mike

Patience, my friend. 7 proposals in 4 days is literally nothing. Right now, most new freelancers have to submit around 100 proposals (according to what we hear on the forum here) before they land their first gig. A colleague of mine who just started probably submitted about 30 proposals before her first gig, but she listened very carefully to a lot of advice given to her on starting out, and that helped her. It still took her at least a month to get the first contract. Now she has 3 ongoing, I think. It will probably take you a month to get the first job, especially in a field saturated like yours. 

tlbp
Community Member

I imagine it is hard to get traction if you aren't able to show some proof of skill (which would be difficult for SEO work). Clients coming to Upwork want to see that you've been able to get results for others and they don't want to (and aren't supposed to) leave the Upwork platform to do so. Your pitch here on your profile needs to show them enough proof to validate your claim of skill and price point. 

Seven pitches is a very low number of tries given the competitive landscape. Have you looked at how many of the gigs you bid on were filled by anyone and how many people bid on each one? 

johnchristopher2
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I've been struggling with the same thing.I have a lot of work to do on mine as well. I'm expanding the list of services offered and I need to get a much better introductory video.

Good luck & Happy Holidays.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members