🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Direct Contract with Client through Upwork. D...
Page options
358f0f2e
Community Member

Direct Contract with Client through Upwork. Does W-9 need to be shared with the client?

I wanted to create a direct contract through rework. In this case, my client will make payment to outwork. I wanted to check in this case, do I need to provide Wis to the client or only to rework. I am not comfortable sharing my Wis with the client.

5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gayatri,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Could you please clarify your concern? Please let me know if you were referring to the W-9 when you mentioned 'Wis'?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I'm so sorry!
I wanted to create a direct contract through Upwork. In this case, my client will make payment to Upwork.

I wanted to check in this case, do I need to provide W-9 to the client or only to Upwork. I am not comfortable sharing my W-9 with the client.

Hi Gayatri,

Thanks for clarifying your concern. Your client doesn't need your W-9 form as you should submit it already on Upwork in your Settings > Tax Information. Feel free to check out this help article for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks, Aleksander. I checked the link you shared earlier but specifically wanted to check for direct contracts as the information wasn't mentioned explicitly. 

Hi Gayatri,

Just to clarify, were you asked by a client to provide a W9? As a freelancer on Upwork, if you're a U.S person you need to complete the W-9 form on the Tax Info page on your account. You can find more information about reporting your Upwork income in this article and talk to a local tax adviser for more information. If a client requests you to submit a W9, please reach out to us and also direct the client to contact us here or communicate with Customer Support.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members