🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Direct Contracts Payment request
Page options
jey_korney
Community Member

Direct Contracts Payment request

Direct Contracts, fixed price.
Can the client pay me only if I send him a payment request?

If I don't send the request, then he won't be able to pay, right?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Evgeniya,

If you have multiple milestones, the client will be able to fund the second one once the first milestone is approved. You will need to submit a request for payment on both milestones. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
martinceisel
Community Member

I think the client can still pay you even if you don't submit a request, though they'd have to take it upon themselves to do so. This graphic from Petra R should help explain the process.

JoanneP

Hi Evgeniya,

From the main navigation bar click on the paper airplane icon (beside the bell) to go to Direct Contracts. Click on the (...) beside the contract and you’ll see an option to “Request Payment” and include a personalized note. You must request payment for the full amount, not a partial amount.

Your client will then receive an email informing them that you are requesting payment for the full amount of the fixed-price contract. From that email, they will land on a webpage that allows them to either approve or decline the payment request with a personalized note. What happens if the client doesn’t respond to my fixed-price payment request?

~ Joanne
Upwork

Example:
Fixed rate. 2 milestones ($500 and $1000). The client has funded the first mileston.
I finished the work and send a payment request for the first mileston.
In this case, does the client have the technical ability to pay the full amount ($500 and $1000)? Release funds $500, funded $1000 and release funds $1000 at once (without my payment request). Or should I wait for each milestone to be funded and press the "request payment" button every time?

Hi Evgeniya,

If you have multiple milestones, the client will be able to fund the second one once the first milestone is approved. You will need to submit a request for payment on both milestones. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
rowse02
Community Member

Hi, what if I don't see a "Request Payment" on (...)? Just submit expense, pause contract and so on. But no "request payment"? I am hourly. Direct Contract. Thank you 

petra_r
Community Member

Rose Marie E wrote:

Hi, what if I don't see a "Request Payment" on (...)? Just submit expense, pause contract and so on. But no "request payment"? I am hourly. Direct Contract. Thank you 

For hourly contracts you get paid for the hours you tracked automatically. There is no need to request payment and no such function. Did you track your hours using Upwork's time tracker? Or at least added manual time to your work diary?

That will mean that you'll get paid for the hours you worked from the funds the client deposited into escrow (if it is a direct contract).

rowse02
Community Member

Hi it's a manual tracking only
petra_r
Community Member

Rose Marie E wrote:
Hi it's a manual tracking only

There is no such thing. There is tracking (using the tracker, which gives you protection should the client not want to pay) and manual time (which isn't protected).

Have you added the time you worked to your work diary? If you have, payment (provided the client doesn't dispute) is automatic.

rowse02
Community Member

Yes I am. I logged all my working hours
petra_r
Community Member

Rose Marie E wrote:
Yes I am. I logged all my working hours

Then you don't need to do anything further!

rowse02
Community Member

Ok thank you, I will just wait for it to reflect on my back account?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths