cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Auto Pausing of Contracts?

Ace Contributor
Kamal S Member Since: Mar 24, 2015
1 of 4

I have few consulting jobs , that can have few weeks to a few months before the clients need my services again.

New data is shared via dropbox/googledrive by the clients team and its become such a hassle that the contract has been automatically paused, and now the boss has to login and unpause the contract.

Most of the time it becomes frustrating the they need the job done while I cant log hours because of the paused job ( and most of the times the client does not even know that the contract has been auto paused ).

Can you please tell whats the best way to tackle this issue because I don't want to
1) make the clients team wait (for the contract to be unpaused ) and after that I would start working
2) neither do I want to put myself in a position where I am at risk not even getting paid for all the hard work.

Is there any option at clients end to disable the auto pausing of contracts, or a more effective way to tackle such situations?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Kamal,

I understand how it can be inconvenient. However, contracts are paused after long periods of inactivity to prevent unauthorised logging of hours. Currently there is no option to disable the auto-pausing of the contract but I will gladly pass you feedback to the team. 

Meanwhile, instead of having the boss log in to unpause the contract, he can add another team member as a hiring manager who would have permissions to manage contracts. It can be one way for the company you work for to manage everyday activities on the Upwork account such as pausing and unpausing contracts. You can forward this help article with more information to them.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

re: "Can you please tell whats the best way to tackle this issue because I don't want to
1) make the clients team wait (for the contract to be unpaused ) and after that I would start working
2) neither do I want to put myself in a position where I am at risk not even getting paid for all the hard work."

You are in no risk of not getting paid for hard work.

If your contract is paused, don't do work.

The paused contract is not so confusing to clients that they can't grasp the concept.

I have had contracts paused and then clients want new work. One note explaining that their current contract is paused and they need to log into Upwork and unpause it is all it takes to resolve this.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 4

Preston's right. I have a lot of jobs that have been paused. Whenever the client wants more work, I just let them know they need to unpause the contract and I'll get started. It's never been a problem.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS