cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling screenshots

Christopher S Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
1 of 75

Hello, I'm new here, and I've been asked by a client to use the time-tracking app. How do I prevent the program from taking a screenshot every 10 minutes? It's very distracting and intrusive.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
2 of 75

You can go to 'Preferences' -> 'Snapshots' and untick the checkbox saying 'Notify me when snapshots are taken'. Do that in the Time tracker app.

P.S. The time tracker must take screenshots every 10 mins, you can only do the above to disable the option to see it take the screenshot.

Highlighted
3 of 75

Thanks.

But, ugh. Very annoying. I don't want it taking screenshots at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
4 of 75

Smiley Happy)) Hmm, not possible, otherwise there's no point to it. How will the client know that you're actually working while you're charging him money? The screenshots are the only way to prove that. It's his safety net.

P.S. I've worked with other Time tracking softwares. All of them take screenshots. That's the point of time tracking softwares anyway. Or why need them, if we can just use a timer? Smiley Wink

Highlighted
5 of 75

Trust?

Out of the fulltime and freelance positions I have held, this is the first time where I've been in this sort of position. It feels as if the client is over my shoulder, it's like micromanaging. Not only that, but it's intrusive. The client does not need to see the other things on my computer (chat client and other tabs I have open). 

I fully understand that there are people who commit all kinds of abuse in a work arrangement such as this, but it really punishes those of us who have no intention of doing so. 

After I am through with my client, I don't believe I will be continuing on this site.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
6 of 75

Your client has the option to allow you to book manual time.

There are no screenshots, you just enter the hours you have worked.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 75

Don't even THINK about using manual time if you don't completely know and trust the client.

Even if a client "allows" you to add manual time to your weekly timelog for their project the client has no obligation of any kind under Upwork’s rules to ever actually pay you for that added time. Manual time is not protected in any way under Upwork's payment protection assurances.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062568-Upwork-Payment-Protection

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/how-to-manage-your-first-project-with-upwork-payment-prote...

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
8 of 75

If you don't like the time tracker then just focus on fixed-price jobs. Then you don't need to use it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
9 of 75

Christopher,

I think you're like me. Try Escrow Jobs that's the only thing that worked for me. You don't need to log any hours - just quote your client a set amount. I don't like anyone to watch me working to prove I'm doing well. Looking at the end result should be enough.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 75

"The client does not need to see the other things on my computer (chat client and other tabs I have open)."

The screenshot is only of the active tab/window at the time it is taken. When you're signed in to the tracker, you shouldn't be looking at any other windows apart from those directly related to the work you're tracking time for - that's the whole point.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS