cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disabling screenshots

Highlighted
John Christopher W Member Since: Apr 20, 2017
61 of 75

Just to add my 2cents. I tried the TimeTracking app for the first time yesterday, for all of 10 min. Yes, just enough time for it to take 1 automatic screenshot, before I was going through the settings and when I realised there wasn't a choice to turn it off, I ditched time tracking for good.

It does feel a bit 1984 esq, and I don't like it. I feel it goes against the idea of freelancing and tips control in favour of the client who is already like a kid in a candy shop. Able to shop around and go for the cheapest freelancer they can find, while expecting them to complete huge projects in just a short time, and have the ability to spy on their screen every 10min... what? 

Upwork isn't for freelancers, Upwork is for clients and their own 20%. We are just the life blood keeping this whole thing afloat.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
62 of 75

Hi John,

Please refer the the information Valeria shared in a post right your own regarding adding manual time and using a different contract type if you have any issues with the way the Desktop apps tracks your work.

Also note that freelancers are able to bid, discuss job requirements and accept offers that they feel comfortable with and which are in line with their preference, terms and expectations.

Other freelancers will follow up soon but in my personal experience, Upwork works both ways as freelancers have the ability to browse through available job posts, and freedom to choose jobs/clients they'd like to work with.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
63 of 75

You guys do realize that you can have a virtual machine installed on your PC where you can have the tracker running with only work-related applications installed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
64 of 75

re: "Able to shop around and go for the cheapest freelancer they can find"

...Or the most expensive freelancer they can find, which is how my clients find me.

For what they're paying me, I'm happy to have the time-tracker running.

Highlighted
Danijel B Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
65 of 75

The screenshots feature is super annoying.  This morning, it took a screenshot and the image was ghosted on my screen, with no way to remove it. I had to restart my laptop and lose a file i started working on because of this. I will not be using this app ever again. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
66 of 75

@Daniel B wrote:

This morning, it took a screenshot and the image was ghosted on my screen, with no way to remove it. I had to restart my laptop and lose a file i started working on because of this. I will not be using this app ever again. 

Strange. It's taken over 66,000 screenshots on various computers of mine over the years, and never once done that to me.

Highlighted
67 of 75

Oh lucky you.

It will not be taking any thousand screenshots on any computers of mine over any number of years.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
68 of 75

Hi Daniel,

I also haven't experienced or came across a user reporting a similar issue with the Desktop app. You don't happened to have a screenshot of the ghosted image? If it happens again, please take a screenshot and share it with our team, so we can investigate.

Highlighted
69 of 75

Hi Vladimir, i don't have the screenshot of the ghosted image.

The issue could be due to the graphics card drivers. As most laptops these days, mine comes with dual graphics. One is the onboard Intel HD, and the other is a dedicated nVidia GF 960M. The issue here is that drivers for these cards are packaged by latptop vendors, not the graphics cards vendors and thus updated rarely, if ever. I had similar issues on my old HP laptop as well.

I personally don't have time to troubleshoot this as my laptop is already set up for work and i can't afford to potentially create more problems than necessary.

Is there an update of some kind, or a different build of the Upwork desktop app i could use?

Thanks

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
70 of 75

Daniel,

I checked with the team and they are not aware of the issue you are describing. Could you please click on your name at the bottom of the App, go to Support and Feedback and submit a request with details? The team will be able to investigate the logs and assist you with the issue.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS