cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling screenshots

Dustin J Member Since: Apr 6, 2019
31 of 72

So what about when your friend sends you an email that's like "F&*#^()% Sh()#&% dude! You have to check this Fu((#&%$ thing out!" You get a notification, screenshot happens. Doesn't mean that you're not paying attention to what the project, you just had an automated OS notification of a new email/chat/anything. Then if you delete that screenshot, it removes time you actually worked! Screencapturing is highly offensive, intrusive, and something I did not agree to.

Personally, I have some atheist bookmarks in my address bar. Why should my religious/lack of religious beliefs be involved in my work?!? That's absolutely none of the client's business, however a devoutly religious person may arbitrarily cancel my contract if they decide to read through what's going on in my bookmarks bar.

I sometimes have to go off my computer to physically draw out a logo or UX idea. I'm still working, but I'm drawing at my desk. Why do you need a screenshot of my blank computer? It appears like I'm not working, however I most definitely am.

This is a horrifically flawed system and offensive to people on here that actually try to work.

Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
32 of 72

Just about  today, I needed a screenshot,  and  its  being automatic  was  welcome that moment. The screenshot seem to  be independent,  one  is on  the start up  toolbar  and the other   in  the  TimeTracker  itselfof  .. I think  there's back-end maintenance   going on  yet  coz the time tracker  seem to be sensitive  to a keypad  or  mouse with  the screenshot.  Besides,  better to  have maintenance  than  none.  There  should also be  an Anti-Fraud security for  the site, and  the  screenshot is  part  of  it.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 72

re: "In summation, I would say that the ideal freelancer/client relationship is one that is built on trust and communication - not on the ability to spy on my computer."

You don't like the time-tracking software that takes screenshots of the contractor's computer.

There are three main ways to work on Upwork:

- Fixed-price contracts

- Hourly contracts using manually-recorded time

- Hourly contracts using the time-tracker

Only one out of these three methods uses the time-tracking software and screenshots.

Everything you are saying you don't like is totally optional. Optional for clients and optional for contractors.

So with the choices that are available, I don't see any reason for complaint. Maybe you aren't complaining, just explaining the reasons for your preference.

Christopher S Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
34 of 72

Let's just say it's a suggestion to the makers of the tool since there is a lot of room for improvement. It's very useful, but this is a huge downside. It would be great if one of the options were if time is taken but without the screenshot.

I have had set it to active screenshot, and when I do work, I have other things going on to - someone might send me a chat message that I must quicky respond to.  I don't want that in the screenshot.  So I've had to time myself around that if I am replying to someone. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 72

re: "It would be great if one of the options were if time is taken but without the screenshot."

That constitutes a different business model, and is an option available on some other work platforms.

re: "I have other things going on to - someone might send me a chat message that I must quicky respond to.  I don't want that in the screenshot.  So I've had to time myself around that if I am replying to someone."

An alternative solution would be to not chat with other people unassociated with the project while logging time billed to a client.

Sam H Member Since: Dec 26, 2013
36 of 72

"An alternative solution would be to not chat with other people unassociated with the project while logging time billed to a client."

That's totally unrealistic, Preston. I don't know what places you've been working at, but no job I've worked has had a problem with me at least reading a quick message now and then and responding to it. (even an hourly job)

Ace Contributor
Sherry W Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
37 of 72

Hi  doesn't anyone feel if you ask a client not to use time tracker because you don't like it spying on you that this might make them feel like they can't trust you. Does the client need to see everything on your computer. Really! If I trust a client to pay me then they should trust that I am giving them my full attention to their project and not chatting or surfing the web when I should be working. Does it explain anywhere the settings for time tracker so it does not show other tabs even when they are not active? If it does let me know please. I know I read somewhere that you can delete the screen shots but I could not find it. Does anyone know how to do that? Just another opinon on this subject!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
38 of 72

Hi Sherry,

You can go to Preferences and set the Team app to take screenshots of the active screen only, and you can delete screenshots from the Work Diary. Please note that when you delete a screen snapshot, you also delete that time segment’s activity (meaning it won’t be included in your weekly invoice).

Please check this video and this Help article, and learn how to use the Upwork Team App. 

Christopher S Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
39 of 72
Yes, of course. If a client and freelancer agree upon such a model, then great. And I suggest that Upwork consider adding a feature that accommodates this.
Robby P Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
40 of 72

Sorry for bringing this old post back but I have similar concern regarding this.

My client ask me to not take a single screenshot since it was "sensitive project" he said, and he allow me to put manual hours instead, but what I feel about it I feel insecured in term payment since (correct me please if I'm wrong) *Upwork give no guarantee with manual hours logged.

What happen if the client decide to deny all my logged manual hours ? What protection did I have since the only proof that I have is Skype chat.

* Got this info from work diary hovering the (?) icon that said : "Time manually entered through the Work Diary. This time is billed weekly but it is not guaranteed."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS