cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling screenshots

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
41 of 72

Hi Robby,

It's correct, manual time isn't covered by Upwork Protection in case of a failed charge or a dispute. I suggest you communicate with your client to agree on terms that satisfy both of you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Robby P Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
42 of 72
I think it would be great if upwork introduce feature that allow freelancer to disable screenshot in their time tracker with their client permission, something like toggle enable/disable manual hours.

I don't mind the way time tracker screenshot what I doing randomly, but in my case the client ask me to not post any screenshot as I mentioned in earlier post because the project is sensitive.
43 of 72

Okay, I assume there are plenty freelancers in Upwork world that had client like mine. Basically the project is really straight forward bug fixing, add new feature here and there. I don't really mind these little app taking randomly screenshot from my working screen.

The problem is when client ask me to not take a single screenshot, documentation, even I need to work via Remote Desktop because the project was very confidential, as he said.

He does allow me to log manual time as I already done, and the payment was fine. BUT, can't just Upwork provide something like "Request to disable screenshot" button that need to be client confirmed to stop the App taking screenshot ? Just exactly like "Request Manual Time" button.

Just as simple as this :

Freelancer ask permission to disable screenshot -> Client agree -> Upwork App stop screenshooting my working screen = Everybody happy, Upwork still get the $$$

I just want to do my job, make my client happy and STILL get the payment protection from Upwork.

Any idea guys ?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
44 of 72

@Robby P wrote:

Okay, I assume there are plenty freelancers in Upwork world that had client like mine. Basically the project is really straight forward bug fixing, add new feature here and there. I don't really mind these little app taking randomly screenshot from my working screen.

The problem is when client ask me to not take a single screenshot, documentation, even I need to work via Remote Desktop because the project was very confidential, as he said.

He does allow me to log manual time as I already done, and the payment was fine. BUT, can't just Upwork provide something like "Request to disable screenshot" button that need to be client confirmed to stop the App taking screenshot ? Just exactly like "Request Manual Time" button.

Just as simple as this :

Freelancer ask permission to disable screenshot -> Client agree -> Upwork App stop screenshooting my working screen = Everybody happy, Upwork still get the $$$

I just want to do my job, make my client happy and STILL get the payment protection from Upwork.

Any idea guys ?

There is no way to get payment protection through manual time. The payment protection only covers using the app with screenshots, memos and high activity levels.  

You are taking a chance if this is a new client. Manual time is not covered.  Also you may ease your client's mind that the screenshots are confidential. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
45 of 72

I know there is no payment protection in terms of manual time, thats why I asked if possible to make an option to disable screenshot in first place. I just need the automatic logging hours, activity tracking without screenshot involved.

Yeah, I kind of took chances here agreeing to only log manual hours. What make me agree to this because he has hundreds of good review, tenth jobs in progress as I checked couple of minutes ago, and his account is 7 years old should I still be worry ?

And you're right Katrina, I should tell him that the screenshots is in the safest place.

Sorry for my bad english.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
46 of 72

Robby, a "disable screenshot" option defeats the purpose of the time tracker being used to guarantee hours. What you are proposing effectively already exists - the option to add manual time. Upwork is not going to add a feature where they guarantee you for hours where they can't see what you're doing. The payment protection for tracked time only exists because Upwork can see that you were actually doing the work you agreed to do. If there was a dispute over tracked time where the screenshots were turned off, there is no proof that you were actually doing the work. So they are not going to guarantee to pay you.

You basically have two options: 1) explain to the client that the screenshots are only visible to yourself and the client, and that no one at Upwork will review them unless there is a dispute, and try to convince him to let you use the time tracker for the protection of both of you; or 2) take the risk of using manual time, understanding that there is no guarantee for those hours.

Marek K Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
47 of 72

It's not totally true @jeniffer.
Screenshots are available on storage that nor I nor my client has no acces.

None of my clients require me to do automatic time tracking, and I believe them that they will pay me.

So the best option seems to be using manual time, but truth is that timetracker is nice and easy - i just cannot use that for my syadmin projects as sometimes some passwords are visible on the screen, or some API keys, so I can not allow it to be leaked to any screenshot on server which doesn't belong to me nor my customer.

Maybe there is possibility to add checkbox
[ ] Please don't make print screen and I agree that it will not be covered by escrow protection.

This will help me (and other people a lot) and I understand that time that is without screenshot cannot be protected by upwork.

Also - manual time adding is very weird - i think it has some problem with timezone calculation as it is always hard for me to put correct time.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
48 of 72

Hi Marek,

Regarding adding manual time, you can switch the Work Diary from UTC to your time zone and add the hours in your local time.

Community Leader
Charlie E Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
49 of 72

I know the whole screen shot idea can seem a little "big brother" to some, but I've been a freelancer and now an employer, and I really think that it is a great tool. 

We hire mostly off Upwork, and rely on remote workers for many aspects of our business. We use the leading time tracker software which also integrates payroll (a simple Google search and you will know which provider I'm talking about).

It allows an employee to simply click a button to stop tracking time, which it tracks to the second, so if you want to check personal email, go on Facebook, or take a break, it will not monitor your activity. You will not however be paid for the time when the time tracker is swithced off. 

It is no different from your office computer which keeps an audit trail of when you login and log out, or your keycard that tracks when you enter or leave the building. The only difference is that time tracking software is in your face, whereas the tools most brick and mortar offices use are very subtle. 

Trust me, clients have much better things to do than to pour over your screenshots. Time tracking is merely a method for creating an audit trail and automated the time-sheets/payroll process. It creates accountibility on BOTH sides. 

If you work in an office, your manager knows where you are at all times. When you work remotely for an employer 100's or even thousands of miles away, we have no way of ensuring that you are at your station when you are being paid to be there. Time tracking software solves this issue. 

Freelancers expect to be paid in a timely manner which they should be. Is it too much to ask that an employer ensures that you are actually working the hours that you are being paid to work? Or should we merely take the word of someone we've never met, or never worked with before, who lives on the other side of the world? That's not how things work in the real world. If we have a relationship, then maybe it wont be necessary. 

IMO, like it or not, time tracking software will play an even greater role in distributed workforce environments from henceforth. Best to get used to it and get on with work. 

Umair A Member Since: Feb 7, 2017
50 of 72

Kudos to all those people who find it intrusive because I don't find it any different either!

I also understand its benefits from client's perspective. I'd add an ability to include/exclude apps for screenshots. For example, only use Sublime, iTerm but don't use any other apps for screenshots.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS