cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disallow clients from using feedback extortion.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
11 of 21

We agree Jennifer, and as mentioned this violates our User Agreement. Please report the job post so we can take a look.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
12 of 21

JH, I agree that clients should not be allowed to make overt promises of positive feedback and 5.0 ratings in exchange for services. On the other hand, if the client were to use appropriate and ethical wording to point out that they recognize the importance of positive feedback and 5.0 ratings, I would not object to that.

I would interpret that as the client attempting to emphasize their good character. Of course, a very thorough review of the job description and all information available about the client is necessary in order to determine the client's true intent.

How does the phrase go, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck. Ref.: Duck Test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

Challenge (Probably should have been posted under "Coffee Break): Take the creative writer challenge. One variation for clients and one for freelancers. The Client Test and the Freelancer Test...if it....

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
13 of 21

Jennifer I've reported similar posts in the past and all I got is either the same reply posted by the mod above or something along the lines of just flag it. One time a support agent said it isn't feedback blackmail so I said, fine, it is feedback manipulation then the agent said they will investigate but only IF many people complain. I said no need for that just read the job ad, it's pretty obvious! The chat disconnected. Sad.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
jenmhutson
Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Apr 30, 2012
14 of 21

Garnor, I report these posts all the time and nothing is ever done about them. They continue to stay up and the clients that post them are usually ones that are not new to oDesk.

What is the point in reporting them, if your customer servcie team allows them to stay up?

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
15 of 21

I agree. It's highly frustrating to flag the same job post over and over again… Recently, I asked myself why is it that I bother to do that when oDesk seems not to bother at all... I mean, no action seems to take place except for saying 'the job is no longer available', but then, a few minutes later, there it is again… 

rumakidesign
Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
16 of 21

One solution for oDesk would be to come up with one of their famous algorithms to determine trusted members whose reports would go straight to the top of the pile.

I suspect there is a lot of reporting and it may not be accurate. But let's say you find that I've made 10 accurate spam reports. Seems the next time I report spam - oDesk should feel pretty comfortable that it's a good report.

I've seen this type of thing used well on Yahoo Answers, for example, where a bad post would take three reports before it is removed OR just one report from one of the trusted members.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
17 of 21

Knowing oDesk's robots, the one assigned to this  would notice that you write"spam" a lot, and so decide that you must be a spammer, and secretly hide all your job applications..

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
18 of 21

No offense but please not another algorithm Smiley LOL

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
19 of 21

Hi Jennifer,

We will review these reports and do our best to consult with the clients to fix the violations or where egregious, remove the job post ourselves. Your efforts to report these posts are helpful in identifying any cases that made it through our reviews. 

anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
20 of 21

Garnor,

I've flagged jobs like the OP described in the past and even went as far as contacting support. I have flagged one client about 15 or more times over the course of a few days and the job ads was never taken down. The client simply recycles them and reposts them again and again.

How come something like that is allowed if it is indeed true that job posts are investigated when we flag them? That person is still very much active and I stopped flagging his/her ad. Why? Nothing comes out of flagging them in my experience.

How many times does a client has to get flagged for posting jobs like that before they are told to revise their practices? 

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS