Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Discriminatory job post

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 45

Tatyana M wrote:

"Or do you actually for one second believe that removing that sentence will somehow also remove the fact that the client wants to hire someone from their preferred demographic?"

That is not my goal or point, the client is free to hire whoever they please. To me, removing that sentense is the difference between a normal job post and one that is discriminatory.

So you are perfectly happy for the client to only hire a certain demographic, as long as they don't save people who are not part of that demographic from wasting their time, money and connects by making it clear on their job posts.

OK then. That clears your position up perfectly. You want people to waste their time, connects and money applying for job posts they can not win just so your sensibilities are not offended by the wording of a job post.

Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
12 of 45

"So you are perfectly happy for the client to only hire a certain demographic, as long as they don't save people who are not part of that demographic from wasting their time, money and connects by making it clear on their job posts.

OK then. That clears your position up perfectly. You want people to waste their time, connects and money applying for job posts they can not win just so your sensibilities are not offended by the wording of a job post."

Petra, please don't put words in my mouth. It is unnecessary and unhelpful. It is clear that you see things differently and I don't aim to change your mind. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 45

Tatyana M wrote:

"So you are perfectly happy for the client to only hire a certain demographic, as long as they don't save people who are not part of that demographic from wasting their time, money and connects by making it clear on their job posts.

OK then. That clears your position up perfectly. You want people to waste their time, connects and money applying for job posts they can not win just so your sensibilities are not offended by the wording of a job post."

Petra, please don't put words in my mouth.

I am not putting words in your mouth in any way, shape or form.

That is, according to your own posts, exactly what it boils down to though, isn't it?

Read your own posts and think it through to its logical conclusion.

You want the wording removed, so freelancers are misled into thinking they stand a chance and waste their time, their money and their connects.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 45

Tatyana M wrote:

"Or do you actually for one second believe that removing that sentence will somehow also remove the fact that the client wants to hire someone from their preferred demographic?"

That is not my goal or point, the client is free to hire whoever they please. To me, removing that sentense is the difference between a normal job post and one that is discriminatory. Personally, those details matter a lot to me. I feel strongly that we shouldn't let any kind of discrimanation, be it religion, race, age, or gender grow more prevalent and little actions make a difference. You might disagree with this or my point, and I respect that, but I am stating my opinion. 

So you DO think it's better for the client to be silenced on who he/she is willing to hire and so trick freelancers into buying connects and bidding on a job they have no chance of getting?

Ace Contributor
15 of 45

Yes, you got me, I am against discrimination, even it if inconvinences you. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 45

Tatyana M wrote:

Yes, you got me, I am against discrimination, even it if inconvinences you. 

It doesn't inconvenience me in the least.

It does, however, inconvenience the targets of the "discrimination." Maybe it does more than inconvenience them--maybe it causes them to use up their connects budget on jobs they won't ever be hired on and then not be able to secure paying work.

It just seems odd that you care more about what someone writes down in an ad than their actual practices or how it impacts the people being discriminated against. Usually when people feel strongly about discrimination, it's because they want to protect the people being discriminated against, so it's surprising to see someone who supposedly objects to discrimination so willing to sacrifice the victims.

Ace Contributor
17 of 45
Let's not dramatize and exaggerate here. If the post says they are a religious company looking for work based on that religion, a freelancer can infer that they would prefer someone of that religion and not apply if they don't want to.

Regardless, I can't find that job post now so perhaps upwork thinks it violates their policies.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 45

re: "I can't find that job post now so perhaps upwork thinks it violates their policies."

Presumably they finished hiring people.

As a client, when I have finished hiring the people I need, I close the job posting as soon as possible, so that other freelancers don't waste their time or connects bidding on an already-filled job.

Community Guru
19 of 45

Tatyana:

It sounds like you want to limit the freedom of Upwork users. Why is that?

If a client needs to hire somebody with a specific skill set, background, or knowledge base, then there is nothing wrong with that.

Would you like to provide more details so we can understand this job posting better?

Community Guru
20 of 45

Keep in mind that every job posting on Upwork is discriminatory.

Only Upwork freelancers may apply to Upwork job postings. Only a few million people in the world are Upwork freelancers, out of approximately 7.7 billion people. And Upwork actively rejects most people who apply to become freelancers.

There is nothing wrong with that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS