cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusting ODesk Client that posts "Transcription" jobs that later turn out to be something else

Esperanza T Member Since: Jun 15, 2013
1 of 6
Good day! I'd just like to warn some of you out there as my daughter and I have encountered this same person three times now (although his profile in ODesk was different and the Skype usernames were also not the same, once he asked to use the webcam, he was indeed the same person.) As you can see in my profile, I offer mainly transcription services. Of course, I apply to jobs that offer significantly higher pay. First, I saw his job posting for $20 per audio hour transcription. After I sent in my application, he contacted me and said a PA role was available for someone who was young as they have a fresher perspective. Of course, my 18-year old daughter, who is on ODesk as well, was interested since the client offered a rate of 18$ per hour. The conversation went on between the two of them then. He asked for my daughter's Skype ID for the interview. During said interview, he asked her to use a webcam and started saying all sorts of inappropriate things like how she's so beautiful and how much he likes her full lips and her eyes, and then moves on to how he expects her to wear "small, tight clothing" like the girls do in the U.S during video conferences and act like a "naughty girlfriend" type secretary. She started to get really uncomfortable and insulted, of course and told him crisply that although she was a novice, she is also a professional and would not tolerate that kind of behavior from her employer. On that note, she told him that this was not the right job for her after all and signed off. The next time, we saw a job posting for PROFESSIONAL TRANSCRIBERS offering $40 per audio hour. This time, my daughter was the one who applied directly since I was bound by another contract at the moment. She came to me and said she was seriously getting suspicious of this guy because after sending in her application, he asked her for her Skype ID and said only a PA role was available. I told her it might be totally innocent since the name of the client was different than the first one although they were both from India. And so, she agreed to a Skype interview and again, the same thing happened! Although she refused to use our webcam, claiming it was "broken", he used his and it was the same guy. "A middle aged guy who looked close to forty", according to my daughter. It was completely obvious they were the same person by the way he talked and the terms he used. He even went with the whole tight clothing, naughty girlfriend dialogue. Again, my daughter was mad as hell and felt so disgusted by this person that this time, she logged off without so much as a by-your-leave, not that I can blame her, of course. And now, I just saw another job posting for an experienced transcriber with the rate of $50 per hour and just minutes after I applied, he sent his Skype ID and told me a PA role was available! Another important detail is that once I told my husband about this, he applied to the guy and he was hired as a "TRANSCRIBER" so clearly, he only pulls this PA position junk when women apply for the job and he's lying when he says the positions are all filled up and only the PA role is open. Anyway, I just wanted to get this irritation and frustration (laced with a very considerable amount of disgust)out of my chest and wanted to let you know about it in case you encounter situations like this yourselves. P.S I don't know if it was okay to post his name or ID, etc so I didn't. I just checked the last job posting for "Transcription Services" I saw from him and he closed it after I flagged the post as under the wrong category. God bless!
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
2 of 6
Hi can't see you, your profile, its private. Smiley Happy though it does not matter. Smiley Happy But seriously the only thing you can do is Flag those A**Hole. Its really uncommon for clients requesting video call on skype. They don't really hire or even pay anyone they hire if ever. Your daughter did right by dropping the call. Don't let it get to you, take it in stride and just do what you do. BTW, we can't broadcast the Name nor Profile of those A** Holes. Against Forum Rules.
Esperanza T Member Since: Jun 15, 2013
3 of 6
Really? I know, it just makes me mad how my daughter had to experience that, she's so young and that was her first try at applying for a position. I don't want her to think that this is the way it actually works out there when a girl tries to get herself a decent job. I'm happy she's got herself a couple of writing jobs now, though. Clearly she's over it. Lol I just hate how this guy thinks he can use this platform now for that kind of thing. Thanks for the info, it did seem unusual when he insisted on a video call instead of just conducting a phone interview and I guess I should have listened to the warning bells going off in my head when he said he was looking for "a young woman" to be his PA. Fresher perspectives my a**. Oh, I see. Good thing I didn't mention his name, then. Thanks!
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 6
Hi Esperanza, You definitely should report someone like this to oDesk support and send a copy of any written text (if there was any). You can also go back to the ad and flag it. I've actually had a Skype vid chat with a potential client before and he just wanted to get an idea of who he was talking to, so not all clients are suspicious. But obviously in this case the client had other things in mind. Most clients I know only use text or voice chat on Skype. I don't blame you for being mad. Glad that all seems to be well now.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
5 of 6
As a parent I understand how you feel, but for her its part of growing up and learning how to deal with such things and she did good I would say. And see, she's the one who experience it and already over it. While the mom still fuming Smiley Very Happy. Just teach her how to recognize red flags, I sure she will encounter alot on oDesk and other similar platforms. There is thread here somewhere on recognizing red flags. You and your daughter might want to read thru this link Job Warning Signs
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
6 of 6
I can relate to what the OP experienced, as I've got my fair share of these creeps... Blame it on the 'mindset'. I mean, most folks think that Filipinas are either of these two: a domestic helper (aka maid) or someone who works in the red light district. All you have to do is check out those expat blogs and forums talking about their 'adventures' Smiley Sad
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS