cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest Feedback

Rabiul I Member Since: Jul 31, 2012
1 of 5
Hi Odeskers! I have been working in odesk over 1 and half year. I had no problem so far till now but recently one of my client gave me negative feedback dishonestly though I had done a perfect job for him. I can prove that too but as there is no option to dispute about the "Dishonest Feedback" so, I'm stuck. Everybody knows how valuable feedback is for any contractor. I worked so hard and maintained my feedback to 4.95, now one stupid client gave me negative feedback and it went down to 4.89. I just don't know what to do now. I can't refund the money as I had worked for 35 hours and made $700 from this project. I requested so much to the client too but he will not change his mind for sure. It could be more than wonderful if odesk will have the feature to investigate contractor's feedback if anyone disputes. I hope odesk will consider my thoughts seriously. Best , Rabiul.
Andrea L. R Member Since: Jun 10, 2015
2 of 5

I'm not sure where to post this - I have a huge negative feedback problem and I've tried talking to someone on help chat about it and he simply sent me the same links over and over and saying I have no recourse, and then right in the middle of the chat he signed out.

Since joining, I've had two female bosses and they've each been a monster. One insisted that I lie to each person I came into contact with while working for her, and the other insisted I work off the clock. As in, for free.

I did not recieve a notification from Upwork telling me this last client had canceled the contract and had left feedback and that I needed to respond. Without knowing the contract had ended and without knowing she'd left feedback, I did not submit my own feedback.

Needless to say, this woman's feedback was derogatory towards me. It is now a public statement ON MY PROFILE with seemingly no dispute from me. I was told I did receive the notification, and James F. on help chat backed that up by showing me a screenshot OF HER messages, he simply showed me her messages about canceling the contract and said that proved I received the email. I did not. With as many problems as I've had with this client, and after talking to help center about her, and after being advised by this board to cancel the contract, and knowing I'd asked her to end the contract, why on earth would I have ignored any notification telling me I needed to leave my own feedback???

I am very upset both by this and by James F. shutting down the help chat because I insisted on being treated fairly. I am not a controversial person, I generally let things go because they're not worth the time or the stress. But these are public insinuations that I can only handle "simple" tasks, unjust summation of my job performance, and so forth......from a client who demanded I work for free. Literally work for free.

What can I do?? How can Upwork be so supportive of a client who violates a site policy and not of the freelancer who has worked hard and submitted thorough, correct work since joining? I've had two bad reviews, both from females who think for some reason since they're a female they have to be a monster to be respected. I've done extensive data entry work for two clients, one of which gave me a 5 star rating and the other who hasn't closed the contract because they want to use me again, I am currently doing a research project for one client whom I communicate daily with and a recruiter coordinator job with a VERY intense, busy, fast-growing, successful professional recruiting company, and they are both more than happy with my work.

This is so blantantly unfair to me, and I need to speak up for myself on this. I did not wish to continue working for someone who insisted I lie every day, and I did not wish to continue working for someone who insisted I work off the clock and account for each MINUTE of the 30 hours total I submitted to her. 

Can nothing be done about this??

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

Ouch, that does indeed not look very good...

You can make that feedback go away by refunding all money that has been paid under that contract. It's not a huge sum (on the latest contract), so you may want to see it as an investment in your profile as currently it's not looking great.

That will help a little.

Refunding the latest little contract would make the stars / comments vanish, it will not make a difference to your 9% job success score, and only a small, if any real difference to your overall feedback score because it was only worth $ 28.33.

The next thing you could and probably should do is talk to the clients you have those ongoing contracts with.

See if they would consider ending those contracts and then rehiring you. Feedback is Dollar weighed (the more a contract was worth the more it counts) and 5 star feedback on a $ 1900 and a $ 470 contract would give you a sharp rise in your overall score, and go some way towards your job success score coming up some again. It would still be terrifyingly low but not quite as terrifyingly low as it is now! Anything under about 70 % puts your account at risk. 9% is somewhat below that....

If you did that with both your ongoing contracts and refunded the $ 28.33 to get that latest bad feedback to go away things would look massively better already as far as the feedback score go.

It would also improve your job success rate which is currently - well... you see that yourself.

Having said that: With that first contract (the wine one) would you not have figured out that you were expected to lie to "every person you came in contact with" after a couple of days? Why would you have carried on after that? The client has very good feedback from over 50k spent, and has only once before left feedback less than a 5, and that was a 4.7.

So, whilst you may have perceived her as "a monster" the other freelancers she has worked with don't seem to have shared that sentiment?

I am also not sure what to make of your "I've had two bad reviews, both from females who think for some reason since they're a female they have to be a monster to be respected" comment... Well, I do know what I think about it, but let's leave that out of this for the minute) For your own personal and professional growth it might be a good idea to take some steps back and examine your own part (and you will have played one) in this, and learn from it - when you freelance you encounter all sorts of people, and learning to handle conflict and manage clients and contracts are key skills you will have to aquire very quickly to make it.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
4 of 5

@Petra R wrote:

So, whilst you may have perceived her as "a monster" the other freelancers she has worked with don't seem to have shared that sentiment?

Keep in mind that the actions you (rightly) recommend to have the client's feedback removed for the freelancer also translate to having the freelancer's feedback removed from the client.  The system is too easily gamed; monsters (both clients and freelancers) can hide in plain sight.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

@Darrin O wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Keep in mind that the actions you (rightly) recommend to have the client's feedback removed for the freelancer also translate to having the freelancer's feedback removed from the client.  The system is too easily gamed; monsters (both clients and freelancers) can hide in plain sight.

You are absolutely right, and I am personally very VERY torn on the idea that refunding removed feedback.

It is a two edged sword. On one side it hides the monsters' actions, on the other side it can sometimes be the only thing that will tempt a nasty freelancer to refund for a horrible job.  I see both sides clearly and believe that this is one of those "Upwork is damned if they do, and damned if they don't" situations because both keeping this rule, and removing it, has very strong and valid positive and negative effects.

Having said that, even if feedback is removed such bad outcomes still affect both client and freelancers' metrics, and whilst it allows both to hide in plain sight for a while, if they do it once too often they're likely going to be history sooner or later!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS