Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Dismal Job Success Score

halo12
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
1 of 9

Well, I got my first Job Success Score today and drum roll, please ... It is dismal 75%.

 

I know Job Success Score represents job performance along a broader set of indicators, including private feedback, but I had a few great public feedback (really long ones) and a 5/5 on all the contracts completed so far. So, it is kind of disappointing that the client will give you a good public comment but score you down on private feedback.

 

I had no job refunds or cancellations. Yes, I did decline a couple of job offers/invitations last week as I was swamped with work but I guess declined job offers does not negatively affect your JSS.

 

In haste, I did raise a ticket with Upwork Support today. I assumed maybe they will shed some light on this but to be fair to them, I know that revealing the exact calculation of your JSS will allow the freelancers to artificially boost their scores. So, not blaming the Upwork support team here.Smiley Happy

 

The bottomline is the clients were not happy with my performance/effort. I reckon that I must not have done a 100% perfect job on some projects else they would not have a left a bad private feedback. I would definitely like to improve my JSS but I have no clue where to begin as I do not know where I went wrong. Only thing I know is I have to improve a lot and provide a stellar experience to the clients which had been my aim all along.

 

Seeing my great public feedback, I was over the moon thinking getting a 100% JSS is easy peasy. Hats off to other freelancers who consistently maintain a 90% JSS. Highly commendable Smiley Happy

 

Now, coming to my real question: Do you think any sane client will hire someone with a dismal job success score of 75%? Any experienced freelancers here who initially had a bad JSS of 75%, then went to become a Top Rated Freelancer?

In fact, the clients who said they will re-hire will also not hire me now seeing my awful JSS.. lol

 

Rant over. Time to watch Stanger ThingsSmiley Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

out of curiosity, were you pushy about feedback? At some point, I think it starts to work against you. The fact that you have long notes on almost all jobs tells me that you might be pushing for people to give you feedback and some people get annoyed with it. I know that I get annoyed with companies that do it to me and I'll spam bin them.

 

Also, someone probably hit you somewhere on private feedback

halo12
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
3 of 9

@Jennifer M wrote:

out of curiosity, were you pushy about feedback? At some point, I think it starts to work against you. The fact that you have long notes on almost all jobs tells me that you might be pushing for people to give you feedback and some people get annoyed with it. I know that I get annoyed with companies that do it to me and I'll spam bin them.

 

Also, someone probably hit you somewhere on private feedback


 99% of the time not at all pushy. I had only one instance where I requested for the feedback as the client had not left any feedback. But that message was also very subdued and not at all annoying. This is the exact message "If possible, can you please leave me a feedback as it will greatly help me in my future projects."

 

But for all the other contracts, I just submitted the work and did not even once requested for the feedback. I know the clients find it very annoying if we push them for feedback. But, I always try to ensure that I do not explicitly ask for feedback. Only if they do not send the feedback, I gently remind them to give the feedback ( In my case, only once so far. All the other clients have left me the feedback without me even asking them to do so)without being too cocky or arrogant

 

Thanks for the help Jennifer :-) I guess maybe he must have a left a bad private feedback.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 9

@Vinod Kumar N wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

out of curiosity, were you pushy about feedback?


 99% of the time not at all pushy. I had only one instance where I requested for the feedback as the client had not left any feedback.


 The trick is to NEVER even MENTION feedback, and simply ask for the contract to be closed. The client can not avoid leaving feedback while closing the contract, so by getting the client to close the contract you guarantee yourself feedback without ever having to ask for it.

halo12
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
5 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

 The trick is to NEVER even MENTION feedback, and simply ask for the contract to be closed. The client can not avoid leaving feedback while closing the contract, so by getting the client to close the contract you guarantee yourself feedback without ever having to ask for it.


 Makes sense Petra. Will follow your lead. Thanks!

adhikary-steve
Ace Contributor
Steve T Member Since: Nov 17, 2014
6 of 9

My JSS went down 73% about 1.5 year ago. But I managed to get that up to 90+ . I am top rated for almost a year now.

halo12
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
7 of 9

@Steve T wrote:

My JSS went down 73% about 1.5 year ago. But I managed to get that up to 90+ . I am top rated for almost a year now.


 This is encouragingSmiley Happy

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 9

Vinod, as a client when I post jobs I don't have a minimum JSS/Top Rated requirement. If I see an applicant that has a "low" JSS, then I will look at their job history and feedback. I would see that you don't have a huge job history (so any average is questionable anyway) and that all your feedback is 5 stars with good comments, and ignore the JSS blip.

 

At a guess, was the one that you had to push the one that gave you a star rating and no comment? Maybe they left you bad private feedback.

halo12
Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
9 of 9

@Jennifer D wrote:

Vinod, as a client when I post jobs I don't have a minimum JSS/Top Rated requirement. If I see an applicant that has a "low" JSS, then I will look at their job history and feedback. I would see that you don't have a huge job history (so any average is questionable anyway) and that all your feedback is 5 stars with good comments, and ignore the JSS blip.

 


Thanks Jennifer for your insight. It is really helpful.

 


@Jennifer D wrote:

At a guess, was the one that you had to push the one that gave you a star rating and no comment? Maybe they left you bad private feedback.


 No. It was the third one from the top (The 2nd longest feedback). 

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS