Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Name

wptophat
Ace Contributor
Tim B Member Since: Jan 29, 2019
1 of 7
Upwork requires my legal name understandably. But I live and work using my religious name. That is the name my entire professional career, portfolio, and reputation is tied to. It is the name they will most easily find me with in internet searches.

Is there any way to change the name my clients see to be my religious name? I am NOT talking about hiding my legal name from the client. But simply having the name most prominently displayed be my religious name.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Many of us would prefer the capability to use nicknames or whatever we choose, but that's not allowed, nor would it be fair if it were allowed for some and not all. I'm not denegrating your religious name ... just sayin'. Since it looks like you've found a few jobs, it doesn't appear that using your real name is hampering your abilitiy to get work here.

View solution in original post

wptophat
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

I understand that.

True, I have been able to get some work and MOST clients do not seem to mind. The downsides are that 

1. I have to let clients know every time I send a proposal so they are not confused about the different name  I use in other places. If they want to see my personal site, my LinkedIn portfolio, my Facebook page, etc.

2. Trying to get clients to use my religious name is difficult at best. 

But TBH, it really is NOT that big of a deal to me. Yes, it would be nice to be allowed to INCLUDE my religious/nickname in my Profile. But it is not a must.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 7

Maybe just add a phrase such as, "I publish my work under the name ________________, you can find examples here...."  

Edit: If it is just a matter of using a nickname along with your same last name, I doubt anyone will notice or care. If you need to bring it up, you could say, "but you can call me 'Wolf'" Sign your messages with your chosen name and don't worry about it. Clients will either work with you long enough to pick up on the name or, they will come and go and not care. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

In most countries you can legally change your name to what you like to be known as, including passport etc.

In German passports you can include a pen / artist name.

Why not consider that?

wptophat
Ace Contributor
6 of 7

LOL! Yes, I have already begun the process. But where I live, it is a 6-12 month process. So that brings up another question. 

What happens when my legal name change becomes official. Do I have to start a new profile and lose all my progress? Or will I be able to change the name on my account?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

Tim B wrote:

LOL! Yes, I have already begun the process. But where I live, it is a 6-12 month process. So that brings up another question. 

What happens when my legal name change becomes official. Do I have to start a new profile and lose all my progress? Or will I be able to change the name on my account?

You'll be able to change your account name Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS