🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute. Mediation team is not responding aft...
Page options
tanyajackdaw
Community Member

Dispute. Mediation team is not responding after I said I want to go with arbitration 3 days ago

I’ve started a dispute with a client who is not willing to pay for the contract that is almost finished. We couldn’t come up with agreement and Upwork Mediation team gave us a deadline till 26 November to pay the fee for arbitration. I said I want to go to arbitration and pay the fee. I said that on Friday, 22 November at 12:40. 3 days have passed and I see no response from Mediation team and I don’t see payment arranged for me so I could pay the arbitration fee on time. Why  would dispute agents set the deadline and become dead silent after that? So I could miss it because of their fault? Oh and they’ve mentioned if I won’t pay the fee till 26 November, the rest of the money on this contract will go to the client. I have a strong feeling that that’s exactly what they are counting on. And that’s why they don’t respond, so I could miss my deadline to pay the fee and they could send money to the client and close the dispute. Which I don’t want to happen.

Mediation team, why wouldn’t you set the deadline for me to respond to the message and then arrange the payment for me to pay arbitration, and THEN give me a deadline again. Instead of setting a deadline and not responding.

Currently, I have no idea what should I do. Should I dispute a mediation team to this point. Or what are the next steps in this situation?

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tanya,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you.

I would like to confirm that this is not with the intention to have the funds refunded back to your client. Our dispute team may take up to 3 business days to update your dispute. 
I`ve also escalated your concern to our team and your dispute agent will follow up as soon as possible with additional instructions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

3 business days? They never mentioned that. What they said I have a deadline to pay the fee till November 26, without arranging the payment even before setting this deadline. It's not okay to set such  deadline and make people fail it because of their fault. It's like saying to freelancer to create a website till such date and not providing any company name or whatever information. 

Mediation team should have set a deadline for me to respond to them, like they did in the beginning of the dispute. And then set a deadline for me to pay the fee after they arrange the invoice. The deadline for this dispute should be changed. I hope I won't see the dispute closed tomorrow and money released to the client because of them failing to respond

Hi Tanya,

I understand your concern with this but rest assured your dispute agent will update your dispute as soon as possible and assist you further with proceeding to arbitration.
To learn more about our dispute process check out this Thread. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your dispute directly, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Good luck with arbitration. I wish it were a viable option for all projects.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths