🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute - Reject or Accept?
Page options
curiouslondon
Community Member

Dispute - Reject or Accept?

Hello everyone,

This is part 2 of a previous question: I initated a dispute because a client cancelled a fixed-rate contract after the drafts were all delivered, this was on March 6th. It says it takes 2 business days for Upwork to respond to both parties, but I've receieved no updates.

I am confused about this (screenshot attached)

Since I am the one who initiated the dispute, why am I again being given the option to Accept or Reject the Dispute...with no updates?

Do I need to do something else, or just wait?

Thank You!Dispute.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
lysis10
Community Member

The initiation of a dispute is kinda weird. Client asks for refund. You either initiate a dispute or accept. then it goes back to the client who can accept or reject. If they "reject your request" this starts the dispute, and the email wording is "client rejects your dispute," which doesn't make sense to me since he can't reject my dispute. lol

have you gotten to the point where a ticket is created? I don't remember that screen either but I just woke up and no coffee means I ain't thinkin too clearly. If you get to the point where a ticket is created, this means a mediator will be emailing you soon and you can ask the mediator.

It looks like a bug and that's pretty crappy since you have limited time. A mod will be around but if there is no ticket created yet, then technically there is no dispute and you only have one day more I believe to initiate it.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if a ticket has been created or not. The only other screen I've got with any information on it is attched below. I'm just really confused as to whether or not I need to click the Accept Dispute button or Reject Dispute button...since as I said, I am the one who initiated it, so that doesn' make any sense.

ok, so it looks like you have a dispute open. When you click that does it take you to a ticket? A CS ticket opens and that's where the mediator will communicate with you. You'll also get an email with the ticket number. When you reply to the email, you register a response to the ticket.

Mediators only work business hours, so you won't hear from them during the weekend. They tell you five days to hear from one, and that's business days. I've had it take 5 days and I've had it take a few hours.

When the client asked for a refund, did you go through the steps to file a dispute? It asks you if you want to dispute and then gives you a place to upload docs. That's all you should need to do, and then you get notification from the client that they reject your dispute. Then you just wait for the mediator.

Just as an aside, remember that mediators can't decide so don't bother with defending yourself or showing evidence. Just tell them what you'll settle for or tell them you want arbitration. You'll have to pay $300 but chances are for $60 the client will back out and you get that money back.

OK, thank you.

I'll just wait it out, a chat support person also said I did what I needed to do.

The client has not apparently replied to my dispute, as there has been no update.

Thanks again for your help!

I am facing the same dispute. Can you help me to know the further process?

Hi Abhishek,

One of our dispute agents will reach out to you directly with more details as soon as possible, and guide you through this process. 

Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
moonlight1122
Community Member

Hi I am facing the same issue 

so, should I accept dispute or reject dispute please help metempsnip.png

ALI S wrote:

Hi I am facing the same issue 

so, should I accept dispute or reject dispute please help me

Neither, just ignore it.

Latest Articles