cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute With Client Over Quality, Need Help!

Highlighted
Saeed S Member Since: Nov 2, 2018
1 of 15

Hi everyone, the client in question has asked for a LinkedIn revamp. I spent an hour with them on the phone clarifying what they needed, learning more about them and letting them know what I was going to provide as a deliverable. 

I worked diligently on the product (similar products have received praise from previous clients) however when the client received it they said they were disappointed with the work. After asking the client how I could remedy the situation and improve the product, they were unclear as to how to do so but remained firm that they were unsatisfied. I even logged in directly to their LinkedIn to attempt to fix the situation, they were still dissastified but couldn't explain why. I have even asked multiple times for a phone conversation or re-writing the product and they have now become unresponsive. It is clear that the client is inexprienced and does not know much about the very thing they hired me for.

As I only have a few jobs on UpWork I find it unfair that even if I end the contract and issue a refund, they can still leave feedback that while it won't show up publically it will still affect my JSS. Also I should not have to refund them for generating such a high quality product, but I'm open to it as I care more about not having this negative review from this client who I feel has now trapped me. 

Please assist if you can. 

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 15

If the client can't clearly express to you what they want changed, don't let it be your problem.

And don't refund any money if you feel you did your best with the guidance and information you were provided by the client.

It's not a good idea to run your business on Upwork with serving the fickle Job Success Score god as your primary measure of success. Leave correct feedback for the client, including a professional appraisal of their inability to communicate clearly.

Then move on to the next project. 

3 of 15

Good call Will thank you, helpful.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 15

Saeed S wrote: Also I should not have to refund them for generating such a high quality product, but I'm open to it as I care more about not having this negative review from this client who I feel has now trapped me. 

Please assist if you can. 

Bottom line: How much money are we talking about?

Your JSS will take a hit either way, as the client is unhappy.  The sum of money in question determines whether it is worth your while to dispute or not.

Was the client a native English speaker?

5 of 15

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 15

Saeed S wrote:
Thanks for your quick response.

Just $100 so I can definitely afford to lose it as I have been underpricing
to begin on UpWork in order to build more of a clientele then charge
ideally what my going rate is.

Yes the client is a native English speaker with a a highly rated client
score, it seems like they are not generally problematic but in this care
they are in the wrong.

And now you have learned what type of clientele you will build. 

ETA: If I were to read your profile summary here on Upwork and you were then to agree to revamp my  LinkedIn content for $100, I would think you were lying about your credentials. (Yet I see that you published elsewhere with same.) Most people who create high-end LinkedIn bios and/or resumes charge several hundred dollars per deliverable. IMO, your pricing makes you appear to be someone who is amateur or can be taken advantage of.  (And keeping the pricing private doesn't help.) Your pricing should be part of your brand strategy. (Are you Payless or Palessi?)

7 of 15

My pricing is starting at $100/hour to build a client base, as part of being new to UpWork it suggests that you start low in order to attract your first batch of clients, followed this for first few clients and increased gradually, this worked thus far. Noone has accused anyone of lying and that clearly isn't the crux of the issue as mentioned, this client is just problematic, one that I'm sure every UpWorker has at some point. The pricing is not private nor is there any option to make it private (earnings are private). 

Community Guru
8 of 15

I too started with lower rates than I charge now and explain from experience that there are risks associated with this strategy. However, I had nothing resembling your credentials when I began freelancing. IMO, you should not undersell yourself to such a degree. 

Would you not be suspicious if someone offered you a $1000 product for $100? 

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
9 of 15

If you continue to care more about bad reviews than earning, you will continue to fall prey to unreasonable clients. Use what you have learned from your interaction with this client to help you better identify similar ones and avoid them in the future. But, if you did the work, keep the money. There is nothing you can do to influence your client's review of you. 

10 of 15

Thank you, very true.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS