cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute after project is closed and feedback is received.

Highlighted
Kinner P Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 8

I recently had a project for 300$ , To be on safer side i convinced client to make it an hourly job. Now the project is completed feedback is received and its been 20 days.

suddenly i received a message from customer support saying please take care of the issue and refund the money the project was not completed and client is not satisfied.

I had been working on Upwork since 4 years have 100% job satisfaction ratio all my projects are 5 star but if this will be the sitiuation it will tough for good freelancers to trust this marketplace.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Seriously?

You ALREADY were paid and received feedback?

LOL. Sounds like a customer support representative is WAY overstepping their bounds. I sense a toothless request.

Tell the customer service rep. you will handle things.

Then do so, in whatever way YOU see fit. Whenever you feel is appropriate. Which could be never.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 8

@Preston H wrote:

LOL. Sounds like a customer support representative is WAY overstepping their bounds. I sense a toothless request.

That rather depends on why the client contacted Support in the first place.....

@Preston H wrote:

Tell the customer service rep. you will handle things.

Then do so, in whatever way YOU see fit. Whenever you feel is appropriate. Which could be never.

Seriously bad advice.

This will not just "go away" - Obviously the client is seriously unhappy about something (and we do not know what that is) and it is likely that there was communication between the client and the OP about whatever it is the client is unhappy about. The client may have a legitimate complaint, or the client may be completely wrong. We have no idea which it is.

Just telling Upwork that "it will be handled" and then doing nothing at all is a neat way to have an account suspended and funds frozen until whatever it is gets resolved.

So the OP needs to contact the client, find out (if he does not already know, which is more likely) and then either fix what needs fixing (if it would realistically be his responsibility to do so) or explain to Upwork (preferably with proof) that whatever it is the client is freaking out over is nothing to do with him.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Kinnel.

Please, communicate with the client to resolve the issue amicably. Upwork team reviews accounts associated with reports of poor performance and will assist you further in this situation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 8

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Kinnel.

Please, communicate with the client to resolve the issue amicably. Upwork team reviews accounts associated with reports of poor performance and will assist you further in this situation.

Valerie ... how does this happen when it's an hourly job and the client approved the work week, left great feedback and paid for the work.

Are we protected by the hourly guarantee or not? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

It reflects poorly on Upwork if the platform allows clients to complain about work done so long after a contract was closed, payment was made, and feedback was given.

When I hire contractors to do an hourly job, I can see screenshots of their work within 30 minutes, I can ask for work to be submitted at any time, and I have the ability to pause or close the contract at any time, even midweek, and without needing to notify the contractor or explain myself.

I would never consider providing feedback, closing a contract, and then returning 20 days later to complain about a contractor's work. How did the client provide feedback if they didn't actually review the work?

And Upwork claims to protect payment to contractors using hourly contracts based on the time they spent working, not based on a client's assessment of the quality of their work.

Petra and Valerie may well be correct that the original poster will need to address this, but that's unfortunate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

@Preston H wrote:

It reflects poorly on Upwork if the platform allows clients to complain about work done so long after a contract was closed, payment was made, and feedback was given.

Petra and Valerie may well be correct that the original poster will need to address this, but that's unfortunate.

Again, it dependson what is actually going on.

In the vast majority

of cases the normal procedures apply - no dispute after the review-period etc.

However, there can be several situations where clients have a legitimate issue and the freelancer is not co-operating.  Not everything can be seen in a work-diary. There are cases where freelancers trick clients into ending a contract with good feedback, even blackmailing them by withholding passwords or code (I AM NOT SUGGESTING THE OP DID ANY SUCH THING) There are cases where later it turns out someone else had done the work. There are cases where copyrighted material was used. There are cases where a site was built with stolen code. Or illegal software, or use templates that can't be used for free etc etc.

There are indeed some cases where Support will have to get involved long after a contract was closed. Again, we do not know. I am NOT suggesting that the OP did anything wrong, but even after a contract is closed a freelancer should co-operate with a client who has a problem with his or her work. You can't just wash your hands of a problem you created simply because a contract is ended. (not saying the IP created a problem, I don't know, obviously, and neither does anyone else here, just explaining why telling someone to ignore  a clear request to contact a client and resolve a problem is terrible advice)

We do not know what happened here, and it depends on the circumstances which we are not party to.

Highlighted
Eslam H Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
8 of 8
Hi Preston,
I have a similar issue with a client. I was working on hourly rate and after he used to ask me from week to week about anything related to the system performance. He disappeared for a fee weeks and I thought I was doing a well understood job because he was not inquiring me. Suddenly he came back and told me that the work done was not satisfied and I should refund him or he will make a complaint! I really did a great job and told him I will type a report for the work done so far. Am I wrong? Or Is he had the right to make a complaint?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS