cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute, and then arbitration. Legal prosecution?

Highlighted
Luca C Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
1 of 5

Hello,

I asked the dispute mediator and support, but it's still a very muddy topic. I had this client with which after 4 out of 5 milestones paid, wanted to close the contract and get a full refund. I returned the Escrow and said that I will not refund the other milestones, as the work was almost complete and they started to refuse to cooperate. They went to dispute. The dispute mediator said I should complete the job, the issue is that the client doesn't want that anymore, they just want the refund. Now the client wants to go to arbitration. Now, I don't really want to pay for something I get absolutely nothing in return for. And I don't have so many clients here anymore. If I refuse to go to arbitration, everything that can happen is that I get my account suspended? If so, for how long?

EDIT: Also, If we go to arbitration (for some reason) and then then they rule that I have to refund some previous milestones, is that legally binding? What I will not refund anyway?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Luca C wrote:

1)  Now the client wants to go to arbitration. Now, I don't really want to pay for something I get absolutely nothing in return for. And I don't have so many clients here anymore.

2) If I refuse to go to arbitration, everything that can happen is that I get my account suspended?

3) If so, for how long?

1) You do get something out of going to arbitration. You get to keep your money if you win. And your Upwork account.

2) Your account would be suspended, the client "could" take you to court.

3) Until you refund. If you don't refund: Forever.

Highlighted
Luca C Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
3 of 5

Hi Petra, thank you for the answers. I edited while you were replying, can you answer to the rest?

2) But the client could take me to court in any moment anyway, no?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5

Luca C wrote:

Hi Petra, thank you for the answers. I edited while you were replying, can you answer to the rest?

2) But the client could take me to court in any moment anyway, no?

Yes. If you go to arbitration, you agree to be legally bound to abide by the ruling.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 5

Hi Luca,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.

In addition to Petra advise, you can also check out this Thread to learn more about our dispute process.

You can refer to the Important Arbitration Notes section to learn more about the Arbitration process as well, thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS