I asked the dispute mediator and support, but it's still a very muddy topic. I had this client with which after 4 out of 5 milestones paid, wanted to close the contract and get a full refund. I returned the Escrow and said that I will not refund the other milestones, as the work was almost complete and they started to refuse to cooperate. They went to dispute. The dispute mediator said I should complete the job, the issue is that the client doesn't want that anymore, they just want the refund. Now the client wants to go to arbitration. Now, I don't really want to pay for something I get absolutely nothing in return for. And I don't have so many clients here anymore. If I refuse to go to arbitration, everything that can happen is that I get my account suspended? If so, for how long?
EDIT: Also, If we go to arbitration (for some reason) and then then they rule that I have to refund some previous milestones, is that legally binding? What I will not refund anyway?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Luca C wrote:
1) Now the client wants to go to arbitration. Now, I don't really want to pay for something I get absolutely nothing in return for. And I don't have so many clients here anymore.
2) If I refuse to go to arbitration, everything that can happen is that I get my account suspended?
3) If so, for how long?
1) You do get something out of going to arbitration. You get to keep your money if you win. And your Upwork account.
2) Your account would be suspended, the client "could" take you to court.
3) Until you refund. If you don't refund: Forever.
Luca C wrote:
Hi Petra, thank you for the answers. I edited while you were replying, can you answer to the rest?
2) But the client could take me to court in any moment anyway, no?
Yes. If you go to arbitration, you agree to be legally bound to abide by the ruling.
I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you have with your client.
In addition to Petra advise, you can also check out this Thread to learn more about our dispute process.
You can refer to the Important Arbitration Notes section to learn more about the Arbitration process as well, thank you.
Talent Scout is a service we launched to a small subset of clients last year, that matches pre-vetted remote talent to some of the leading clients on our platform.Learn More
Attend the talent webinar and learn about the different journeys you can embark upon as you grow your independent business from your first job to full scale.Learn More
We began collecting Mexico's Value Added Tax (VAT) when talent and clients registered in Mexico purchase Upwork services.Learn More
If you want to take the first step towards becoming a freelancer but aren't sure how to begin, you're in the right place. This article will discuss seven steps to becoming a freelancer.Learn More