🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute on Fixed Price always loose USD 291 ?
Page options
cfd47813
Community Member

Dispute on Fixed Price always loose USD 291 ?

Hi everybody, how are you?

I have a contract signed by the developerwith all the features the software must have and the fixed price modality.

Developer changes his mind after 8 months, 7 months more than the dealine and wants money upfront.

Developer said several times, He did not finish the work, the software.

Clearly is against the policy of Fixed Price.

Upwork wants me to pay USD 291 so somebody else could apply the UPWORK fixed price policy??? Where is the safety promissed by Upwork? Pay only when you receive?

So there is nothing you can do defend yourself against dev scams?

You will always loose USD 291, because the arbitration team cannot read the obvious?

This is not because I didn't like the final product , the final product was never delivered, words of the develper, but arbitration wants me to pay USD 291 so someone could see the obvius?

How can we defend against this to avoid loosing the USD 291, in the future, hiring somebody else?

1) I have a signed contract with all the details.

2) The dev himself said many times he didn't not finish or delivered the software.

3) We have a fixed price contract.

4) He wants to receive some money upfront breaking the rules of fixed price contract, after 7 months after the deadline.

I really don't understand the need to pay somebody outoside UPWORK to enforce UPWORK policy.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eric:

This freelancer has never been paid anything for a project that has gone on for 9 months.

He doesn't care about you and he doesn't care about your project any more.

This freelancer made a mistake when he agreed to work on this project.

He should have insisted on either an hourly contract, or a small fixed-price milestone such that he would get paid quickly.

I typically never agree to a fixed-price milestone that takes more than a day to complete.

So for a more complex project, I may finish multiple milestones in a week. Often I don't even let the client set up multi-milestone contracts. I require that each milestone be its own contract. So there have been times when I have completed five or more contracts in a single week, for a single project.

This is GOOD FOR THE CLIENT.

Because it means that work is continually being completed and tested and reviewed and archived. The project moves forward.

As a client, I don't want to get into a situation where a freelancer is working for me but not getting paid regularly.

Because then the freelancer will not be motivated.

I don't think the freelancer you hired is very motivated to finish this project.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
prestonhunter
Community Member

Filing a dispute costs nothing.

Going to arbitration costs:

$291: freelancer

$291: client

$291: Upwork

So going to arbitration costs $873

It sounds like you are struggling with how to successfully manage a development project on Upwork.

I will provide you with my opinions, as an experienced Upwork user - both client and freelancer. Here are some tips:

- Refund thinking hurts clients. Plan now to never ask for a refund, ever, no matter the circumstances. This will help you save time and money.

- Proactively monitor and review work submitted by freelancers, especially early on. Quickly end the contracts on underperforming freelancers. Continue working only with the freelancers who provide you with the best value.

- Avoid using fixed-price contracts. Hourly contracts are more flexible, do not tie money up in escrow payments, and are optimal for higher quality work.

- With a development project of sufficient scope, you really need an independent project manager in order to stay on schedule and on budget.

- It is a mistake to hire only one developer. It is impossible to compare his work to the work done by other members of the team if there is only one. And you are putting all your eggs in one basket. What if this developer dies, or disappears? A properly managed development project can withstand the sudden loss of any team member, and continue successfully. Is your project ready for this developer to disappear completely tomorrow?

=========

As for your CURRENT situation, I advise you to decide now that you will not go to arbitration. Decide now that you will work directly with the freelancer, and you will not involve Upwork. Because arbitration and disputes and mediation do not build software. They are distractions and unnecessary expenses.

Hire other developers to continue working on this project. You may use fixed-price contracts, but if you have not already done so, you should certainly try hourly. You may find that you much prefer hourly.

If you use fixed-price contracts, then asked sure they are small, especially when you start out with an unfamiliar freelancer. Don't expect that every hire will work out. If you have an unfortunate hire, don't try to mentor or tutor the freelancer. Just close the contract. You aren't here to train freelancers how to be better programmers or more moral people.

Keep an open mind about continuing to work with the original freelancer developer. Put your project first. Don't worry about his karma. The most effective thing for your project may be to release any remaining escrow money and close the contract, and ask him if he will be willing to work for you using an hourly contract. You could pay him to oversee the transition from a single-developer project to a multiple-developer project with proper version control/repository, etc. Or at the very least, to make sure you have all the source code necessary to move on.

Make sure you have your own copy of all the source code and database and related files sequestered in a place that no freelancer has access to.

Hi Preston, How are you?

You didn't understand my case.

1) I have a fixed price contract and a signer contract with a developer.

2) Developer never said he completed the work or the software is delivered, so is not about that.

3) Dev wants money upfront now, going against the policy of fixed price projects.

4) Arbitration on Upwork is failing to see this. Dev said he never finished the work but he wants money upfront.

Upwork's arbitration is failling to enforce the rules of fixed price work and wants to hire a third party to enforce a UPworek policy.

But you would not be facing any of these problems if you had proactively decided that you will never ask for a refund, and never dispute or try to go to arbitration. These mechanisms, which clients think will protect them, end up being more of a curse than a blessing.

I have hired over 120 freelancers on Upwork.

If I don't like their work, I just fire them.

I don't care about them. I care about my project. And I care about saving money.

I know that some hires won't work out. I plan for that eventuality.

Hi Preston,

They said if I cancel the contract dev could open a dispute.

My freelancer is trying to change the deal from fixed price to money upfront and hourly.

Why arbitration cannot see that and need to hire somebody else?

What's more, how should I protect against this?

I even have a signed contract with him, there's no value for upwork arbitration, was never mentioned.

Eric C wrote:

Hi Preston,

My freelancer is trying to change the deal from fixed price to money upfront and hourly.

I even have a signed contract with him, there's no value for upwork arbitration, was never mentioned.

You are not in arbitration yet. If no dispute has been opened you are not even in mediation yet. 

First you have to request the escrowed money be refunded. Then the freelancer will dispute it. Then an Upwork mediator NOT an abitrator, will try to get you two to reach an agreement. Either one of you can then choose to pay for arbitration, and an arbitrator will review the entire case and your statements and make a judgment. 

But it sounds like you haven't even started the process by requesting the refund from the freelancer, who has done no work yet and not submitted any work yet. 

re: "They said if I cancel the contract dev could open a dispute."

Don't cancel the contract.

Release all money in escrow and close the contract. There is nothing that the freelancer can do to block such an action.

re: "My freelancer is trying to change the deal from fixed price to money upfront and hourly."

You must decide whether or not you want to continue working with this freelancer or not. Make your decision based on what is best for YOUR PROJECT. Do not try to prevent this freelancer from doing something immoral. His karma should be of no concern to you. Make this strictly about business. If switching now to an hourly contract will save you time and money and help push the project toward completion, then do it.

I think you should release all escrow money and close the fixed-price contract, and hire the freelancer with an hourly contract, and pay him to help you transition to a multi-developer situation. Pay him to help you get to the point where you no longer need him.

re: "Why arbitration cannot see that and need to hire somebody else?"

Avoid arbitration. Arbitration does not move you forward in achieving your goals.

re: "What's more, how should I protect against this?"

Decide right now that you will never again ask a freelancer for money, never again file a dispute, and never again go to arbitration. This is the only real way to protect yourself from this sort of fiasco.

re: "I even have a signed contract with him"

Who cares?

None of the customers or users who you are creating this project for are ever going to see that signed contract.

re: "there's no value for Upwork arbitration"

The idea that arbitration may be a way out of problems that you have with a freelancer has negative value. Meaning: it actually causes harm. Refund thinking hurts clients. You will benefit if you decide now that you will never use arbitration or disputes. Instead: Proactively monitor the work that freelancers submit. Quickly fire any freelancers whose work you do not highly value. Continue working only with the best freelancers.

Hi Preston, Answering yoiur questions.

Release all money in escrow and close the contract. There is nothing that the freelancer can do to block such an action.

How can I do that? Upwork support told me, the only to be clean were if the developer cancel the contract.

-----------------

re: "My freelancer is trying to change the deal from fixed price to money upfront and hourly."

You must decide whether or not you want to continue working with this freelancer or not. Make your decision based on what is best for YOUR PROJECT. Do not try to prevent this freelancer from doing something immoral. His karma should be of no concern to you. Make this strictly about business. If switching now to an hourly contract will save you time and money and help push the project toward completion, then do it.

I think you should release all escrow money and close the fixed-price contract, and hire the freelancer with an hourly contract, and pay him to help you transition to a multi-developer situation. Pay him to help you get to the point where you no longer need him.

-------------------------------------------------

I don't believe in hourly, I 'd rather fixed price,  the deal is fixed price, that's the best way for the business.

That's the deal, and developer is trying to change the deal and upwork cannot help against that, needs to charge me USD 291 to hire someone from outside enforce fixed price policy on developer. Doesnt make any sense.

--------------------------------------------------

Decide right now that you will never again ask a freelancer for money, never again file a dispute, and never again go to arbitration. This is the only real way to protect yourself from this sort of fiasco.

I believe you didn't understand the problem, I didn't ask anyone for money, developer after 8 months wants to change the contract from fixed price to pay me the money on escrow, then pay me per hour. Developer is changing the deal and being protected.

---------------------------------------------

The signed contract is part of the deal and it is attached on the process from the beginng.

For some reason Upwork mediation team don't read it, but it doesn't need to, because a have fixed price contract, ,meaning pay only when product is received.

Even de Developer said, he did not delivered anything.

I really don't see the problem,is clear, why the need to arbitration?

It's a clear fixed price contract infraction, but no one explained that to the developer, he cannot changes his mind and continue the same contract. He needs to cancel contract from his end. 

Eric C wrote:

Hi Preston, Answering yoiur questions.

How can I do that? Upwork support told me, the only to be clean were if the developer cancel the contract.

-----------------

-------------------------------------------------

I don't believe in hourly, I 'd rather fixed price,  the deal is fixed price, that's the best way for the business.

That's the deal, and developer is trying to change the deal and upwork cannot help against that, needs to charge me USD 291 to hire someone from outside enforce fixed price policy on developer. Doesnt make any sense.

--------------------------------------------------

I believe you didn't understand the problem, I didn't ask anyone for money, developer after 8 months wants to change the contract from fixed price to pay me the money on escrow, then pay me per hour. Developer is changing the deal and being protected.

---------------------------------------------

The signed contract is part of the deal and it is attached on the process from the beginng.

For some reason Upwork mediation team don't read it, but it doesn't need to, because a have fixed price contract, ,meaning pay only when product is received.

Even de Developer said, he did not delivered anything.

I really don't see the problem,is clear, why the need to arbitration?

It's a clear fixed price contract infraction, but no one explained that to the developer, he cannot changes his mind and continue the same contract. He needs to cancel contract from his end. 

Eric, the Upwork mediation team CANNOT make any kind of decision. It is outside the scope of what they can do. All they can do is try to get you and the freelancer to agree to a mutual resolution. 

What is it that you want? Do you want to:

(1) Keeping working with this freelancer on this project and wait for him to submit the work and then release the funds in escrow? (It sounds like this isn't going to happen, but it is an option)

(2) Get the money in escrow refunded to you so you can work with someone else? 

If you want (1) then you need to tell the freelancer that you will not be releasing any funds until he submits work for approval and you have approved it. Period. He can decide if he wants to end the contract and refund the money or do the work. 

If you want (2) then you need to hit "Request Refund" on the contract and get the process of a dispute and then arbritration started. The Upwork mediator cannot look at your contract and make a decision. But the third party arbitrator can. AND, if the freelancer does not pay up for the arbitration fee, it's automatically refunded to you and you win. 

Preston is right that you need to think of this clearly as to what options you have and don't have. You do not have the option of getting Upwork to decide in your favor without going to arbitration. It's also useless to try and get the freelancer to "do what's right"  or punish him. You need to focus on your project. The two options above are the options you have. 

Hi Amanda, thanks for your help.

Let me explain what support told me.

(1) Keeping working with this freelancer on this project and wait for him to submit the work and then release the funds in escrow? (It sounds like this isn't going to happen, but it is an option)

I offered him more money, on fixed price, but he thinks he deserves or is entitled to change the fixed contract deal and receive some money upfront.

If nobody from upwork tells him that he has to follow the rules of the contract, he will not change his mind.

(2) Get the money in escrow refunded to you so you can work with someone else? 

Upwork support told me that is not an option, developer needs to cancel the contract, not me.

If I cancel he can dispute, same thing is happening now.

In the future in case I have the same thing with another dev, what should I do?

tlbp
Community Member

Eric C wrote:

Upwork support told me that is not an option, developer needs to cancel the contract, not me.

If I cancel he can dispute, same thing is happening now.

In the future in case I have the same thing with another dev, what should I do?

The second sentence is true. If you close a contract with money remaining in escrow, the freelancer can dispute its return to you. That does not make the first sentence true. You can, in fact, cancel the contract. 

If you don't want to deal with arguing over the release of escrow funds. Then, you can  create a fixed price contract with multiple milestones and only fund one milestone at a time or use an hourly contract and monitor your freelancer's performance regularly. 

There is nothing you can do to eliminate all risk. 

On fixed price contract can I cancel the project anytime and hire somebody else at anytime and developer cannot do anything?

I don't thing this is fair for the developer.

If woirks like this, support told dev could enter on a dispute against me, so we will be on the same situation, or Am I wrong?

tlbp
Community Member

Whether Upwork's policies make sense is really irrelevant. Those are the policies you agreed to when you decided to use the platform. Your use of that platform is contingent on your acceptance of the various user agreements and the TOS. 

So, effectively, Upwork is enforcing its contract with you. 

Of course CS cannot guarantee that a freelancer who demands to be paid won't continue to demand to be paid after you close the contract. They don't predict the future or have mind-control abilities over freelancers. You close the contract and ask for your money to be released from escrow. The freelancer can choose to dispute. You not liking the policy won't change that. 

tlbp
Community Member

Eric C wrote:

Hi Preston,

If  you close the contract, the developer can say they want the money in escrow. But they didn't earn the money in escrow, so it is unlikely they will get it. If the developer wants to go to arbitration and explain to an arbitrator that they didn't do the work but want the money, the developer will have to spend $291. What is the likelihood that the developer will take that risk?

Also, if one party escalates to arbitration and pays the fee and the other does not agree to pay, the first party gets their fee back and the non-paying party loses. 

But yes, in a worst-case scenario, your "final" protection is arbitration. Litigation or agreed arbitration is really the only final protection for any contract. On Upwork, your costs for arbitration are split 3-ways. In the "real world" you might have to pay the full fee or hire an attorney to file a civil suit. 

When two parties to a contract cannot reach an agreement, regardless of the method of contracting--things get expensive. Upwork cannot predict who will be disagreeable. 

cfd47813
Community Member

Thanks Tonya,

So in my case, there is nothing I could do to avoid arbitration right?

If I cancel de contract the same thing would happen but the bad faith is from my side, right?

Fixed price with milestones or hourly in my project is bad, because is very hard to find a devs willing to work with somebody else's code.

Hourly will be the same, if dev quit.

The only way to garantee I can have a product or 100% investment is fixed price contract.

Even doing like this dev dissapear, create several excuses not to work.

The deadline was 1 month, we are now 8 months later.

Thanks.

re: "The deadline was 1 month, we are now 8 months later."

The deadline for my project was 1 month.

I hired 4 freelancers to work on my project.

One of them never did anythiing.

One of them was able to do some complicated work, but he was slow. I ended up assigning only the most complicated parts to him.

Two of them did reliable, quality work and did so quickly.

The project was finished in three weeks.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eric,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused! It looks like you have an open ticket with our team about this concern. I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
cfd47813
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

How are you?

I am just trying to understand what I did wrong and how should I proceed in the future wo avoid this and waste money.

I really don't understand how a member of Upwork cannot see the fixed price work was not delivered by dev, so it doesnt need to go to mediation, is a simple solution.

1. Work was done? No...dev should deliver the work as fixed price states or DEV should cancel the contract.

The deadline was 1 month, we are 8 months later and only now he is trying to change, otherwise I've been patient and will loose USD 291.

simple.

Eric C wrote:

Hi Bojan, 

How are you?

I am just trying to understand what I did wrong and how should I proceed in the future wo avoid this and waste money.

I really don't understand how a member of Upwork cannot see the fixed price work was not delivered by dev, so it doesnt need to go to mediation, is a simple solution.

1. Work was done? No...dev should deliver the work as fixed price states or DEV should cancel the contract.

The deadline was 1 month, we are 8 months later and only now he is trying to change, otherwise I've been patient and will loose USD 291.

simple.

How much was the funded milestone for? If it is small enough, the freelancer may not choose to pay his portion of the arbitration fee, in which case you'd be refunded your portion, the $291. 

Thanks Amanda, the problem is the waste of time.

If upwork said to dev he is wrong changing the deal, the negotioantion would be different.

I don't mind paying more, but I can't pay upfront or hourly due to the his history,m deadlines, etc..

Another question, should I pay on the of what is on escrow?

Where should I pay?

Eric C wrote:

Thanks Amanda, the problem is the waste of time.

If upwork said to dev he is wrong changing the deal, the negotioantion would be different.

I don't mind paying more, but I can't pay upfront or hourly due to the his history,m deadlines, etc..

Another question, should I pay on the of what is on escrow?

Where should I pay?

Upwork isn't going to tell the dev he is wrong. Mediation is to help you two come to an agreement. Arbitration is outside of Upwork and they make a judgment. 

I'm not sure I understand your question. Should you pay what? 

Have you actually requested the funds in escrow be refunded through the refund feature? Do you actually have a dispute open? 

I do.

Where should I pay the USD 291?

The worst part is dev didn't deliver the work, he even said it.

He is just trying to receive meony upfront and our contract is fixed price.

petra_r
Community Member

Eric C wrote:

Where should I pay the USD 291?

You don't have to pay ANYTHING at this point. Close the contract and request your escrow funds back. Then see what happens. If a dispute is created because the freelancer is disputing, follow the directions. Stop obsessing over the arbitration fee, you are a LOOONG way from arbitration.

cfd47813
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your help.

Even if a dispoute were already open?

I really believe when the dev find out the rules of a fixed contract he will continue the work.

Starting from zero with somebody else can create the same problems...

Best,

Eric.

re: "I really believe when the dev find out the rules of a fixed contract he will continue the work."

The freelancer already knows the rules.

He does not want to continue working for you using fixed-price contracts, unless you pay him up-front payments.

re: "Starting from zero with somebody else can create the same problems..."

Your project is too large and complex for you to plan to develop successfully as a single-developer project. What if this developer dies? Or adopts puppies? Or inherits his uncle's castle? Or otherwise is no longer available to work on your project? You should plan for your project to be one that more than one developer can work on.

I don't think is too big, he did 75% on a month.

Is not complex.

here is the asnwer from upwork.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Preston,

The freelancer already knows the rules.

He does not want to continue working for you using fixed-price contracts, unless you pay him up-front payments.

In this case, he needs to cancel the contract and loose all the work he already did it.

I don't have a problema with that.

But he wants to receive some money from work done, that;s no acceptable, 1/2  or 1/9 of the software doesn't work for me, it is 100% or nothing.

You don't buy half of t-shirt on a mall.

If he changing his mind 8 months later, he needs to cancel the contract so I can hire somebosy else.

He didnt do that and he thinks he is intitled to receive some money per work supposelly done, breaking the fixed price contract, clearl;y says, it's all or nothing, his decision not mine.

How much money have you paid to this freelancer in total? NOT including any money currently in escrow, but money that has already been released to the freelancer?

It's fixed price contract, I paid nothing upfront.

He said he would finish the project in 2 weeks, I gave him under a contract I did and he signed 1 month.

After a month he showed a version with 75% of the software done, but with a lot of bugs.

Asked for some money on december I denied, then he dissapeared.

He claimed on january directly to upwork, without contacting me, he had finished, was lying.

Dissapeared for several weeks, months... 

Now, after 9 months, wants some money upfront to continue...

If without money he doesnt work, imagine with some money.

Just close the project already and request the refund. WHy are you going back and forth? None of this matters. Just deal with the dispute and get it done with. Why are you invested in all this drama? Don't you want to get it over with and get your project done? 

Hi Amanda,

I believe I have been too kind and patient with my developer, I liked what he did so far and I believe he can finish the work.

Today I did a final proposal to him, but I am afraid that can create more problems for me in the future, let's see.

I will let you know, how it goes.

I believe is hard to get work right, at least where I live, that's why I would like him to have this opportunity, because this software could grow to version 1.1, 1.5, 2, with more money to him.

Best,

Eric.

Eric:

This freelancer has never been paid anything for a project that has gone on for 9 months.

He doesn't care about you and he doesn't care about your project any more.

This freelancer made a mistake when he agreed to work on this project.

He should have insisted on either an hourly contract, or a small fixed-price milestone such that he would get paid quickly.

I typically never agree to a fixed-price milestone that takes more than a day to complete.

So for a more complex project, I may finish multiple milestones in a week. Often I don't even let the client set up multi-milestone contracts. I require that each milestone be its own contract. So there have been times when I have completed five or more contracts in a single week, for a single project.

This is GOOD FOR THE CLIENT.

Because it means that work is continually being completed and tested and reviewed and archived. The project moves forward.

As a client, I don't want to get into a situation where a freelancer is working for me but not getting paid regularly.

Because then the freelancer will not be motivated.

I don't think the freelancer you hired is very motivated to finish this project.

I understand, BUT he told he would finish in 2 weeks, after a month he has 75% of the software done.

As I mentioned before, he dissapered several times.

I really don't believe he has been working on this project more than 2 month straight.

As I said before, I don't have use for 1/2 a software, I need the whole thing.

He could negociate more money, as I offered, but on the end of the project, fixed price.

I 've been working with fixed price projects for over 2 decades myself in different verticals, meaning I have to deliver the project to the client, including ones the had to do with several other people, weather, several different variants.

The job is not hard, is a little different, as you mention before, focus on the business but I 've tried helping him as well, I even offered myself to help him any way I can for free.

I really don't think it's my fault and I would give him more money, gave him other opportunities to make money, this is a project that will need more versions = new contracts, those new can be by an hour since we have a finished project.

I am a fair guy. 

Eric C wrote:

If he changing his mind 8 months later, he needs to cancel the contract so I can hire somebosy else.

But, of course, you don't get to decide what he needs to do. You can only control what you choose to do.

A man owned a store.

One day a 12-year-old boy walked into the store and picked up a $1 candy bar. The boy put the candy bar into his backpack and tried to walk out of the store.

This was unquestionably sinful behavior. The storekeeper caught the boy and called the police.

A police officer came to the store and explained that the storekeeper could have the boy arrested and charged with a crime. The boy would end up in jail for at least one month if the storekeeper pressed charges. There was a $150 filing fee for pressing charges.

The storekeeper did not want to pay the fee. So instead he ate the candy bar and let the boy go.

Because of his unpunished sin (stealing), the boy went to Hell when he died.

The storekeeper was able to keep his store running and feed his family because he did not let concern about a stranger's soul outweigh his desire to remain profitable.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members