cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute or not?

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
1 of 10

I have a question for the experienced freelancers and if someone from oDesk wants to reply, that would be helpful as well.

I have a contract with a client that is worth $1100 (fix-price contract) to proofread 473 articles. I started working and everything was fine, and when I updated him about the progress, he told me that he has a big meeting in London and that I stop working until tomorrow.

Then, after I contacted him, he notifies me that there has been huge changes and that he now only needs 270 articles. I understood that these things happen and we agreed on a new price $650. He told me that he will give me login information on Monday, and now when I contacted him, he told me that he no longer needs my help because he is spending $8000 per month on freelancers and can't afford me.

I lost 4 days of my time and declined 3 job offers because of it. The only reason I accepted such a low rate $1100 for 473 (1000-word articles), was the amount of them. And now he wants to pay me what he owes me for the first 37 articles + $50. 

He wasted my time and caused me to lose money, as I declined 3 offers. Do I file a dispute or just accept it and go on with my life? 

ThanksSmiley Happy

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 10

Tough one. I personally, would cut my losses and move on. I don't see how anything good could come out of a dispute, even if you manage to get paid in full, surely it will be make for a terrible client experience and very poor rating. I'd thank the client for his honesty and express my disappointment for the reasons you mentioned above as factually and unemotionally as I could, and would ask to be considered for future positions should the need ever arise. This way you get out of the situation as a professional, still ensure a good client experience, and who knows, if worded and done right, and if your client is fair which he seems to be, it might result in more lucrative future business. 

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
3 of 10

Still waiting for the answer from mods to shed some light on the question we have asked last week in a thread here

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Top-Rated-Performance-Indicators-Absentee-Clients/m-p/7421...

As  I think to make a dispute its not a good idea as it will count against you so you lose your time and mony and you cant do nothing and if you start forcing client that he wasted your time bla bla he may can leave you a bad private feedback.

So think what's better for you.

Ace Contributor
4 of 10

I ended the contract and gave him 1 star and left my honest feedback. That is enoughSmiley Happy

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 10

Well now let the robot to decide if you did right or wrong just keep an eye on JS%.

Best of Luck!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 10

You were / are in a pickle either way especially because of the new system in place. If you went the dispute route, your JS would have plummeted as well as leaving a bad taste. Ending the contract will still count against you and decrease your JS.

Sad to say that you get shafted either way. Now it is clear that the new system shackles the freelancer to the will of the client (bad or good).

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
7 of 10

I don't think you did yourself a favor by leaving the rating you did. Ask yourself how you would feel if a client rated you a 1, despite the fact that you did communicate unpopular news, were available, technically did have the skill set, etc. I can only think of a handful of scenarios where a rating of 1 would be justified, but that's just me, who feels a 3 is devastating enough. It looks like you got paid for the work you did, and received a fair rating, so it could've gone worse. Not convinced it was worth or necessary to burn the bridge behind you though.

Ace Contributor
8 of 10

@Krisztina U wrote:

I don't think you did yourself a favor by leaving the rating you did. Ask yourself how you would feel if a client rated you a 1, despite the fact that you did communicate unpopular news, were available, technically did have the skill set, etc. I can only think of a handful of scenarios where a rating of 1 would be justified, but that's just me, who feels a 3 is devastating enough. It looks like you got paid for the work you did, and received a fair rating, so it could've gone worse. Not convinced it was worth or necessary to burn the bridge behind you though.

I had more than 180 clients on oDesk and rated everyone with 5 star so far. So I'm not the one who easily gives bad rating. I just wanted to send a message that you can't do your business like that.  If I gave him a good review, what is stopping him to do the exact same thing to someone else?

Ace Contributor
Weera P Member Since: Sep 11, 2013
9 of 10

Hi Dejan,

You should use the dispute when you really need it. If you read Odesk message that mean you have to interview your client before start to work.

https://www.odesk.com/my-stats/

It seems like Odesk support has lot of work to do and it may useless for freelancer.

In my expereince, seem like the dispute decrease JS score about 10-15 scores. Most Odesk clients don't read the Odesk Policy and don't do the test. There's few of my client were exceeding the contract and invited me to work at leaset 2 times. I was not interested to work for them any more. I thought that affect my JS score.

If we have at least 2 disputes that may enough for Odesk to close our account. Finally, you have to break a bad new too.

I and my client we didn't have any problem untill we asked for Odesk help, then Odesk forward our message back and forth. Finally we got dispute. Financial transactions for Weera have been limited(More than 3 month) from that dispute. I treated my client with all of my best by sending him all Odesk information but he still didn't read it.

If Odeks would like to use new system, Odesk should set 0 for all freelancers.

Weera,

Community Guru
10 of 10

@Dejan H wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:

I had more than 180 clients on oDesk and rated everyone with 5 star so far. So I'm not the one who easily gives bad rating. I just wanted to send a message that you can't do your business like that.  If I gave him a good review, what is stopping him to do the exact same thing to someone else?

Hi Dejan, I wasn't trying to suggest that you easily give poor ratings, but based on what you've shared, I still find a 1 unfair. Imho, that rating should be reserved for frauds and nonpayers (although we can't rate a nonpayer 1 because no money was paid!). I think leaving a 3 would've accomplished the same. Fortunately for you, you received a 5 and that's all that's visible on your profile. I really sympathize with your situation and would be frustrated if I were you too, but things like that happen unfortunately, and look at it from another side. At least your client was honest about it and didn't let you proofread all of those articles and not pay you. Or cancel the job and not even pay you for the work you had already done. So while it's an unfortunate situation, it does seem like your client tried to make the best out of it and at least compensate you $50 extra. It's not much, but it's more than many others would've done in that situation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS