🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute relating to client asking me to use a...
Page options
barrie-davies
Community Member

Dispute relating to client asking me to use a specific tool

Hi, I recently picked up a piece of work, which specified to deliver 1 hour of voice recording for the gig. The client specified an app to be used to complete this. Normally I would use my own equipment. 4 hours later of trying to get this very poor quality app to work, the client told me that the work was not good enough as the volume was low, there were issues with the app etc. They are refusing to pay me on the grounds that I did not deliver 1hr of usable voice data. Foolishly, I agreed on Whatsapp and they had access to the data on the app, which I recorded. They have taken the voice data from that app.... Not a great experience!

What recourse do I have here? It is only for a small amount. and I am new to Upwork. I am concerned that if I push this, even if they pay me, they may give me a very bad review. 

Any advice, warmly received 🙂

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
tlbp
Community Member

What do you mean "you agreed on WhatsApp" Did you agree that the work was not done properly or something else? 

Sorry, that was a typo. I agreed to chat to them on WhatsApp and bot in the Upwork chat room
lysis10
Community Member

Barrie D wrote:

Hi, I recently picked up a piece of work, which specified to deliver 1 hour of voice recording for the gig. The client specified an app to be used to complete this. Normally I would use my own equipment. 4 hours later of trying to get this very poor quality app to work, the client told me that the work was not good enough as the volume was low, there were issues with the app etc. They are refusing to pay me on the grounds that I did not deliver 1hr of usable voice data. Foolishly, I agreed on Whatsapp and they had access to the data on the app, which I recorded. They have taken the voice data from that app.... Not a great experience!

What recourse do I have here? It is only for a small amount. and I am new to Upwork. I am concerned that if I push this, even if they pay me, they may give me a very bad review. 

Any advice, warmly received 🙂

Thanks

Mediation is your ownly option if it's escrow. Do a search on here for mediation. You'll find lots of info on mediation and arbitration. If this person was just looking for some cheap dev, then paying the $291 is very likely to bank you a win.

nvm, if it's the hourly contract on your profile, then the only thing that matters is activity levels in tracker and memos.

May need to let this go.

At the heart of this issue is a freelancer who agreed to do a job using a tool he was not familiar with. He gave it a shot. It didn't work out.

Thanks Preston.

Thanks for taking time to respond Jennifer.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths