🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Dispute with a client from past twenty da...
Page options
ambersar
Community Member

Dispute with a client from past twenty days

I have opened up a dispute because my client took the complete source code and it was last milestone instead of approving the milestone he end the contract , I opened up dispute and the Upwork support is not responding to that dispute , What should i do I have lost my TOP rated badge as well  due to this client , 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Preston

That philosophy only works if the client disappears. But in this case the client closed the contract without approving the last milestone. I may be wrong, but  wouldn't that initiate a refund if a client closes a contract without approving or paying out on the last milestone. Assuming that there were funds in escrow. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
lysis10
Community Member

It's been 20 days since you opened a dispute and a mediator still hasn't contacted you? Are you sure you filed a dispute? Did you get notification that a dispute was filed?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Saad,

I checked and it looks like you do have a dispute case opened with our team currently and you can communicate with them via email. I'll also follow up with them about your case and ask them to update you as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Twenty days?

My philosophy on Upwork is this:

If somebody owes me money for work I completed more than 2 weeks ago...

Then they don't owe me money.

Because on Upwork, we get paid for our work within 2 weeks, whether we use hourly or fixed-price contracts.

Preston

That philosophy only works if the client disappears. But in this case the client closed the contract without approving the last milestone. I may be wrong, but  wouldn't that initiate a refund if a client closes a contract without approving or paying out on the last milestone. Assuming that there were funds in escrow. 

ambersar
Community Member

so I can conclude that even with escrow protection you are still relaying on the mercy of client if he cancel the contract the escrow would have no meaning . 

tlbp
Community Member

Did you refuse the refund when the client closed the contract? Has Upwork told you that the dispute has been closed? The moderator's answer in this thread would imply that the matter has not been closed and the money is still being held in escrow until such resolution is made. 

ambersar
Community Member

I did not approved the refund , actually the client end the contract and ask his bank for re-fund so there is nothing under escrow .

petra_r
Community Member

saad H wrote:

I did not approved the refund , actually the client end the contract and ask his bank for refund so there is nothing under escrow .

You mean the client did a chargeback?

That is very unfortunate. The client will have been suspended from Upwork but chargebacks are a pain and it sounds as if Upwork were unable to defend the chargeback.

ambersar
Community Member

it was not just the charge back amount rather i lost my TOP rated badge as well , I think this is very thought provoking subject and i hope upwork team site will check it as if someone put the biggest milestone onto the last phase and after getting everything he quit so there would be nothing left for the freelancer to do so.

petra_r
Community Member

saad H wrote:

it was not just the charge back amount rather i lost my TOP rated badge as well

Isn't that the contract you used the perk on and had the feedback removed? In that case this is not what lost you the top rated status, because the contract is excluded from your JSS calculation - pluy the client (if he pulled a chargeback) is suspended, so the contract would nnot factor into the JSS anyway.

removed.jpg

ambersar
Community Member

Thanks Petra R  for the relevant response i was assuming that due to this dispute i lost my top rated badge because other than that i have 5 Start throughout 

lysis10
Community Member

saad H wrote:

I did not approved the refund , actually the client end the contract and ask his bank for re-fund so there is nothing under escrow .

That sucks, man. I just ghosted a $150 escrow offer because I just didn't want this hassle. It's why I argue with the trogs on here that say "OMG THERE IS PAYMENT PROTECTION SEE IT SAYS IT HEREE!" There really isn't. The only thing escrow does is tell you that money came from somewhere but no guarantee it's legit or will stay there.

Stick to hourly. You'll sleep better.

ambersar
Community Member

I was assuming that the protection means the client cannot withdraw , I got to know that Protection means clients just shows his pocket that he can bear that amount for the work (just like bank statement ) in my case it was not 150 USD instead 600 USD .. THanks Jennifer M  for giving me the other way around to sleep Batter 🙂 

lysis10
Community Member

saad H wrote:

I was assuming that the protection means the client cannot withdraw , I got to know that Protection means clients just shows his pocket that he can bear that amount for the work (just like bank statement ) in my case it was not 150 USD instead 600 USD .. THanks Jennifer M  for giving me the other way around to sleep Batter 🙂 

One thing to note is that clients lose their account if they file a chargeback, so if you get a client with a long history and other jobs currently in process, they might not do a chargeback. In my last dispute, some dumb broad filed a chargeback and reversed it because the mediator told her she would lose her account.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths