🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Dispute with a client over payment.
Page options
madbanditroy
Community Member

Dispute with a client over payment.

Last month, I got into a fixed contract that involves a low-four figure amount. I did the work, but heard nothing from the client until this month and they told me that it was supposed to be an unpaid sample while they supposedly hired other freelancers. The client offered me one hour of work ($50) but I countered with 30 hours (the client's milestone is 60). The client still wants to give me one hour of work. I feel I should dispute this.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

Did you have a contract? It clearly says in the screenshot that this was a test. Do you usually receive $1500.00 for a test?

What did you do for 60 hours when it was a simple test job? More information is needed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
the-right-writer
Community Member

Did you have a contract? It clearly says in the screenshot that this was a test. Do you usually receive $1500.00 for a test?

What did you do for 60 hours when it was a simple test job? More information is needed.

I don't usually have a receive a $1500.00 for a test, but I was expected to do 60 hours for the work. The client never bothered to tell me if they approved of my test of not.

You are not an employee. You didn't do the work, so you should not expect to get paid for it. 

"I don't usually have a receive a $1500.00 for a test, but I was expected to do 60 hours for the work. The client never bothered to tell me if they approved of my test of not."

Expected to do the work? OK, fine. When you complete the job, it is approved and the client releases the funds.

But you didn't earn the money and billed the client for $1500.

If I were the client, I would never let you work for me, and I would leave a negative review. And I would not be talking to you again. You didn't do the work, but you tried to charge the client anyway.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

This was a fixed price job. It seems you input the $1500 amount into your payment request when the milestone was not funded with that amount. No wonder the client is puzzled as to what happened. You don't counter with anything. This is not a negotiation. With what amount was the milestone funded?

The $1500 shown there.

That doesn't count.

Only funded escrow counts.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Leroy, it doesn't matter how many hours you worked on this.

lt doesn't matter what the client said.

It doesn't matter what you said, or what you did.

The only thing that matters is how much money is in escrow.

If the client is willing to give you some money, I advise you to accept it.

You made mistakes in how you used the Upwork system. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

But the only mistake I have made is dealing with a client who doesn't know the difference between a fixed contract and a hourly one. If the client have given me the material I needed to accomplish the task and I didn't do it, that's one thing, but to give me a test and not any communication with me about it is pretty different. 

Leroy P wrote:

But the only mistake I have made is dealing with a client who doesn't know the difference between a fixed contract and a hourly one. If the client have given me the material I needed to accomplish the task and I didn't do it, that's one thing, but to give me a test and not any communication with me about it is pretty different. 

No, it isn't. You should never ask for money when you didn't do the work, that is not how a professional conducts himself. This can only end in terrible feedback. 

I strongly disagree. I was given a bad offer, and the other party didn't want to admit.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths