🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute with client
Page options
hd3dart
Community Member

Dispute with client

For some reason, I decided to work freelance, and this is my first job.
I have a project with my client.
This deal was ok, and he agreed with this. Until I received an email from Upwork inform me that I need to change Avatar and Name( before my avatar was my wife and Name was my son, I’m so sorry because I thought it just likes Social network- facebook). When I received this informed immediately I changed my avatar and my name, identity verification by video call and personal id.
I completed my job and sent a file to him, but It seemed he had trouble with his job (he wants to make a games but he doesn't even know how to connect material to model).
He gave me indecorum words and canceled this project. I think I fixed my fault and it was involuntary. But it didn’t have any fault with my job, I even completed it before the deadline and fixed everything if he requires. During the course of work, he also constantly praised the work I did as well, and did not have any complaints about the quality of the work.

He blames me for pretending to be a girl to seduce clients (what??) (in spite of his project doesn't mention the gender of freelancer. The work I perform also has no problem).

I have no reason to pretend to be a girl, because what the client cares about is the quality of the job

The mediator also confirmed this, explaining to him that his project did not mention that he needed a working woman, ending the contract to be unfair.
But he still insisted on getting his money back.
What do you guys think will happen next, and what should I do.
I can follow the dispute to a third party, I don't want to accept that I've been cheated and a bad guy gets his purpose.
This project is $ 250

10 REPLIES 10
2a05aa63
Community Member

Anyone would feel lied to if they'd hire one person, and then another shows up. You destroyed the trust the client had, so the moment they had issues with your product, surely they didn't want to deal with you anymore. Clients hire people that deal with things they don't understand. So trust is essential. 

The dispute fee is 291$, so unless you want to pay additinal 41 dollars event if you'd win, you better give up.

Refund the client the money. They did nothing wrong, while you did.

hd3dart
Community Member

I would consider it an option.
But my product has no problem. thank you

petra_r
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Anyone would feel lied to if they'd hire one person, and then another shows up. You destroyed the trust the client had.

The dispute fee is 291$, so unless you want to pay additinal 41 dollars event if you'd win, you better give up.

Refund the client the money. They did nothing wrong, while you did.

Agreed. The arbitrator will take a very dim view on those stunt you pulled. The client hired someone who did not exist. You violated Upwork's (clearly stated) terms of service.

So if you pay the $ 291 for arbitration, you'll likely lose. I'm surprised you still have an Upwork account.

hd3dart
Community Member

After creating an account, I went looking for a job. Everything in my profile is incomplete. When my client chose me, I was just starting to be interested in profiles and changing a few things. At that time, Upwork emailed and notified me directly on the web. I changed the name (I used GAU3D as a stage name before, I used this name on watermark for my portfolio), avatars, add credit cards, send personal id pictures and have video call with the staff of Upwork.
After the change, my work continued as normal.
It was not until I sent the file to the new customer that the problem occurred.
Customers still use words like "wow, sound good, perfect" when working, but after receiving the file, everything changed back, and the reason was my gender at the time?
Client pay money to receive the product, freelancer trade health and time to making the product. Why do you advise me to give up when my clients have received what they need?
I confirm that my product is no problem.
I brought up here just to ask what will happen next if he insists on not paying, how should I behave, there is no purpose of seeking personal consent or criticism.
Thanks!

petra_r
Community Member

Ha D wrote:

I brought up here just to ask what will happen next if he insists on not paying,

You have to pay $ 291 to take it to arbitration

hd3dart
Community Member

The mediator asked many questions with my client, and asked him to give evidence but didnt have one. Because when I changed my profile we continued to work together.
After I send the file, something new happens. So that can't prove that I or he is the cause of this incident?
Escrow only works when the two sides behave fair, if the client purposely gets a reason to claim the money back, based on what to arbitrate or still need to seek arbitration?
Sorry about the question, I'm trying to find out more

petra_r
Community Member

Ha D wrote:

The mediator asked many questions with my client, and asked him to give evidence but didnt have one. Because when I changed my profile we continued to work together.
After I send the file, something new happens. So that can't prove that I or he is the cause of this incident?
Escrow only works when the two sides behave fair, if the client purposely gets a reason to claim the money back, based on what to arbitrate or still need to seek arbitration?
Sorry about the question, I'm trying to find out more

Upwork as an Escrow agent can not make a legally binding decision. Only arbitration (at a cost of $ 291 for each party, can.)

If you decline to pay the arbitration fee, the client gets their money back

If you pay, and the client does not, you get the escrow funds and the arbitration fee.

I do not believe you are likely to win arbitration based on the deception leading the client to believe the person hired was someone other than you.

Even if you were to win arbitration, the amount you could get (the money in escrow) is less than what you have to pay for arbitration, so it makes no sense.

hd3dart
Community Member

Do you think I deceived my client to impersonate others? Good thinking
Thank you for the reply, I have found what I was looking for

hd3dart
Community Member

Of course I still have an upwork account, this account has a green check mark, it is the account I used to do that job. This is to explain when you think that I faked someone or my account was not real

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ha,

I understand your concern and do see our team is already assisting you regarding the issue that arose on your contract. Please note that we can't discuss contract-specific issues in the Community and I'd strongly encourage you to keep communicating on your dispute ticket.

Feel free to continue communicating with other experienced users via this thread but please do avoid sharing any specific information, which we'd be obliged to edit in line with our Community Guidelines

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members