🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute worth it?
Page options
maiya-yu
Community Member

Dispute worth it?

I took on a low paying fixed-price contract for a website. The client has decided she is unhappy with the work so far and has cancelled. Because the only milestone was the final site, I had not submitted, but I had paid for a month of of hosting, which I was planning on just throwing in since I would be paid. The client has requested a refund, which I am thinking of disputing, with a settlement of the cost of hosting. The client has been somewhat difficult to work with, so I'm not unhappy about losing the gig.

Is it worth it? Am I not understanding the dispute process?

*EDIT: Nevermind, solved it*

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

You made a number of mistakes on this project.

You could have arranged for an hourly contract.

You could have arranged for the client to pay for hosting.

You could have obtained a fixed-price payment that covered hosting costs, and received that payment right at the beginning.

You could have broken down the project so that you get paid for individual tasks rather than rolling the dice all on one big project.

I hope you will arrange your contracts in the future in a way that minimizes risk and maximizes the likelihood that you will be paid for your work.

========

But all that is in the past.

Let's see what we can do to help you now.

How much did you pay for web hosting?
How much is the fixed-price contract for in total?

====

I just saw your edit:

"Nevermind, solved it"

I am glad that you solved the problem.
You don't have to answer any of our questions, of course.
If you want to briefly tell us what ended happening, we would all enjoy hearing "the rest of the story."

petra_r
Community Member

Maiya Y wrote:

... so I'm not unhappy about losing the gig.

You should be, because the contract will negatively affect your metrics.

In future stay away from low paying clients and projects, because more often than not, that kind of client is as mean with their feedback as they are with their money, and working with such clients comes with a very real danger of wrecking your profile before you eve got started.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members