🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute
Page options
uzairmughal110
Community Member

Dispute

Hi,

I recently had a client who hired me to write a MATLAB code so to detect number of fish in a water tank. I explicitly told him that I will require video of the tank rather than pictures as it is easier that way. He sent me pictures and video both, and was happy with the video processing. I implemented a 2 days task within 24 Hours, and tell him that if he has any revisions then I am good to help you (The code was working as confirmed by the client also). After 3-4 days, the client responded by saying that my supervisor rejected the code as he only wanted image and not video processing. Without asking me for revisions he cancelled the contract saying "I am not having advanced knowledge". xD I was surprised as he never offered any revisions and even I offered to work again from scratch and produce results within 36 Hours under the same contract, he said "I don't think you can do it". It is fine as long as it is his opinion, but the problem is  I am not getting my money.

Do I have any chances of winning a mediation, as I don't want to pay arbitration fees since it is too much compared to the Amount in Escrow.

Thanks in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Uzair:

You're in the mediation stage right now.

You have nothing to lose by participating in the process.

Be polite.

Maybe you can tell the mediator and the client that you understand the client's concerns, and you want to work with him. You could ask for a settlement of $50 instead of $60.

I am not you, and I can't tell you what to do. But if it was me, I just don't have time for that kind of nonsense. I would have told the client that he can pay $60 and receive ownership of the work. Or pay zero and I will retain ownership of the work so that I can put it into my portfolio. It sounds like a worthwhile project that would aptly demonstrate your abilities.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

A person does not "win" mediation.

Mediation means that Upwork encourages the freelancer and client to work out an agreement.

And although the details of your project may be interesting, I can assure you that Upwork is not going to look at pictures or videos or MATLAB source code or anything else.

The client in the situation you describe was being unprofessional, unethical, and immoral. If you did the task that was originally agreed upon, the client should have released payment to you. Period. It does not matter what the client's supervisor thought, etc., etc.

How much money is this contract worth?

Indeed Gentleman, I told him clearly that 

"I am only concerened with you and I have nothing to do with the supervisor"

Seriously, I don't know if it exists or not. All I want to know what I can do to get some money, as only $60 out of $110 was escrewed. I know $50 are gone. Can I do "something" to get those $60 atleast.

Thank you

If there is $60 in escrow, then the client can not actually get the money back unless he closes out the contract while requesting a refund, thus triggering a dispute.

You will then have the chance to agree or disagree to his request for a refund.

Have things already gone to that point? Or is the contract still open?

You said in your original post that the client "cancelled the contract."

So does this mean you have now received a message telling you that you need to decide between agreeing to the refund, or disputing it?

(A side comment, which has NOTHING TO DO with any specific situation or client, but is just a general comment: What kind of person hires a freelancer to do complex, difficult work, lets the freelancer spend a lot of time doing it, and then tries to weasel out of paying just $60?)

Yes, he "cancelled the contract". I did the task within a day, saved myself a day for revisions. But still he sneaked away. I actually think he is good with the code, because even though I said I will do with the pictures under the same contract (I was doing this rumble since I needed good feedbacks, as I am not too far from being a "TOP RATED FREELANCER"), but still he said I, who submitted the work within 24 Hours wasted his time.

I am still waiting though, nothing from the mediator so far. Hope it goes well!

Uzair:

You're in the mediation stage right now.

You have nothing to lose by participating in the process.

Be polite.

Maybe you can tell the mediator and the client that you understand the client's concerns, and you want to work with him. You could ask for a settlement of $50 instead of $60.

I am not you, and I can't tell you what to do. But if it was me, I just don't have time for that kind of nonsense. I would have told the client that he can pay $60 and receive ownership of the work. Or pay zero and I will retain ownership of the work so that I can put it into my portfolio. It sounds like a worthwhile project that would aptly demonstrate your abilities.

Yes, very helpful.

Thanks alot

Escrewed?

A new word for the digital age!

Good luck with this clown. If Upwork had a fund for paying the arbitration costs for small projects that are a big deal to the freelancer, I'd contribute to it. 

versailles
Community Member

Uzair M wrote:

After 3-4 days, the client responded by saying that my supervisor rejected the code as he only wanted image and not video processing.

Boss: John, do me a MATLAB system that counts fish in the aquarium.

John: aye boss.

John: frak this, I'd rather play WoW. Uzair, do me a MATLAB system that counts fish in the aquarium.

Uzair: aye John.

Uzair: here it is John.

John: here it is Boss.

Boss: not with videos, idiot! With photos!

John: OMG, frak! 

Uzair: John?

John: what? Oh, yes, er, screw you!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hahahaha,  agreed! Totally the case here.

kat303
Community Member

The only thing I have to say, IMO, is that this job sure sounds like academic school work. And this client's boss is actually his instructor. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths