🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute
Page options
_anastacia_
Community Member

Dispute

Hello! I had fix-price contract and delivered the work on time, before deadline. But a client didn't respond on the day of the deadline. Then I requested a payment next day. After 3 days he wrote: "Since we are 3 days past the suggested deadline (11/28/2019), we no longer need the 3D model sketch. Thank you"
He did not answer me to my message after that and did not take any actions on our contract. Does that mean I will not be paid? Shoud I end the contract myself or just do nothing for 14 days (than money will come automatically)?
I have proof that I delivered the work on time (screenshot from our contract)
Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If it was me, I would do absolutely nothing at this point. No further messages. No contacting the client in any way. Just wait.

My hope is that 14 days after I clicked the "Submit Work" button, payment will be released to me automatically.

If a client hires a freelancer to do work, and the freelancer does that work as agreed, then the client needs to pay for the work. This is NOT a complicated or controversial concept. But I have nothing to gain by lecturing the client at this point.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jared_k
Community Member

You did what you needed to do. Since you officially requested payment you'll get paid fourteen days after the request, unless the client requests a refund.

prestonhunter
Community Member

If it was me, I would do absolutely nothing at this point. No further messages. No contacting the client in any way. Just wait.

My hope is that 14 days after I clicked the "Submit Work" button, payment will be released to me automatically.

If a client hires a freelancer to do work, and the freelancer does that work as agreed, then the client needs to pay for the work. This is NOT a complicated or controversial concept. But I have nothing to gain by lecturing the client at this point.

This was sent by A certain Nick from Upwork who was supposed to help with the dispute. The client was unresponsive. Refused to pay for 5 articles submitted, I filed a dispute because it's only fair that I get paid for work submitted, after a few days without any participation from the client, i thought it will be released to me, but i got another message saying it should go to arbitration, so I read on it, it eas clearly stipulated that after the client pays for the fee, the freelancer will be invoiced... so i said okay i understand. Again, nothing from the client.. And today i got a message from Nick saying I will need to pay for arbitration???? Wow Upwork KUDOS!!!!

**Edited for community guidelines**

See screenshot of article regarding disputes

Maria Allison P wrote:
 The client was unresponsive. Refused to pay for 5 articles submitted, I filed a dispute because it's only fair that I get paid for work submitted, after a few days without any participation from the client, i thought it will be released to me, but i got another message saying it should go to arbitration, so I read on it, it eas clearly stipulated that after the client pays for the fee, the freelancer will be invoiced... so i said okay i understand. Again, nothing from the client.. And today i got a message from Xxxx saying I will need to pay for arbitration???? Wow Upwork KUDOS!!!!

Has the client not participated in the dispute at all?

Is all the disputed money in escrow?

Has the client paid for arbitration?

Yes, the disputed money is in escrow, he claims plagiarism when he instructed to copy and paste product descriptions.. 5 articles 1200 words each. He replied today and I quote.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I have attached a screenshot of his instructions.

Nick wants me to pay for the arbitration first so I find it unfair because it was clearly indicated that the client should pay first. And he he has been given a massive amount of time to reply, I was the only one replying and i get this message from Nick that client responded privately.

Hi Maria, 

I understand that your situation is frustrating, and I'm sorry to learn about your experience. As you are already being assisted through a dispute ticket, it would be best to continue communicating with the team through the same ticket thread so that they can assist you further. I request that you refrain from posting more information about the dispute here, as this may misrepresent the situation. 

Please also refrain from posting chat transcripts and other identifiable information about your client through the Community as these are considered violations of the Community Guidelines.

Thank you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

We're sorry to hear that, Maria Allison! 

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I appreciate it Bojan but Nick's responses made it clrar that he's leaning towards the client which is unfair, now the client replied on thr group discussion. please see attached. Clearky stated he didnt pay me not bec of plagiarism, but because of something else. I hope Nick notices that.

The client knows you can’t pay it. Your choice is to pay it or lose the dispute. If the mediator said that you have to pay those are your only options.

Please suggest...

I was working this guy. He never sent me the contract. He gave me stuff to do. I did; it still says proposal.

I did the work and he never gave me the money for what I did. I sent me the message to send me the contract. He didn't reply. I let Upwork people know.

Parminder:

If you never had a contract, then this is really between you and the client. Upwork can not enforce a contract that does not exist.

You made a mistake. The important thing for you to do is to learn from your mistake and not make the same mistake again.

One GOOD thing is that because you were never paid for the work, it belongs to you. You may put it in your portfolio or sell it or do whatever you want with it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths