🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Disrespectful rates.
Page options
carloslobo28
Community Member

Disrespectful rates.

How is it possible tha some clients are offering half a penny or sometimes less per word in translation? Should not Upwork have a minimum acceptable? Can I flag these jobs? 

On the other hand, can you see my profile? Do I look like a successfull person or not?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Carlos L wrote:

and someone in this world must say them: how can you expect for an expert at that price? 

It depends on your priorities. Many of us have found that it makes more sense to focus on the clients who are willing to pay our rates and not bother to interact with the lowballers at all.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Thanks Luce and others for understanding me in anyway! For the ones treating me like a criminal: I've to say that it looks like the average percentage a client has in hiring is about %70. 3 out of 10 jobs conduces to nowhere. In real world you looking for job, have to spend transport, time, effort to apply and many of the jobs you applied were cancelled, not hired anyone, maybe in the future. Do we have choice when we need the job? You say then that the world is unethical, maybe. 

Nobody here is a criminal.

People make mistakes. People learn from those mistakes and grow.

We are required to forgive.

Preston H wrote:

That would be true except that it doesn't sound like OP has learned anything at all; he just keeps defending his actions.

Preston H wrote:

Agreed

Some do. Others, not so much.

You may decide what you are "required" to do.

You may not decide what other people are "required" to do. This may come as a bit of a shock to the system, but it's a fact.

This has nothing to do with "forgiving" as far as this thread is concerned anyway. What he did is a violation of the terms of service and ethically and morally a horrible thing to do. Only the victims of his actions (those who lost time and money from that nasty stunt) get to "forgive" or "not forgive."

The rest of us can evaluate such behaviour from the vantage point of our own moral compass - (if present...).

Petra: I agree with you.

I can state that we are required to forgive everyone, but that is a moral and religious belief and has nothing to do with Upwork policies. It certainly isn't an Upwork requirement.

Moreover, whether or not anybody forgives anybody else for a given action has no bearing whatsoever on the wrongness of the action.

I have made mistakes as an Upwork freelancer and as a Forum participant. I try to learn from my mistakes and hope the same for others.

Proverbs 11:2: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom."

[Also not official Upwork policy.]

Preston H wrote:

I can state that we are required to forgive everyone, but that is a moral and religious belief

You do not get to impose your religious beliefs on others.

So whilst you are clearly free to impose that on yourself, there is no "we are required" here. "WE" are nothing of the sort.

Personally I feel only his victims have anything to forgive, the rest of us weren't affected, so have nothing to forgive.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All,

We'll be closing this thread from further replies as it's gone off topic. Please, be reminded that public accusations of misconduct aren't allowed in the Community.

If any violations of ToS are found, the team will be reaching out directly to the account owner via a support ticket 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths