reichstephen

Do Freelancers READ Job Posts and do Clients Know How To Fill Out Job Posts.

This is my rant for today.

Today I was looking over My Job Feed and saw a post for a job.

The Client specifially states he wants to call the hired freelancer about the job instuctions.

So i check out who is applying. Only 1 of 20 applicants is from his country (Currently).

If you are appying, do you think this client will call you if your half way around the world?

Do you read and understand the post? Do you see the word logo and apply automaticly?

Then I have have to ask why didnt the client add job filters? This way they could make a call

to a freelancer without spending more than his logo budget? 

It seems something is broken in the job application process.

Only experience helps you hack your way through the Upwork Jungle Job Posts. 

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r

@Stephen R wrote:

The Client specifially states he wants to call the hired freelancer about the job instuctions.

So i check out who is applying. Only 1 of 20 applicants is from his country (Currently).

people can be called from and in any country, what is the problem?

Petra,

I am not talking about calling Italy from Switzerland.

I'm playing Devils advocate. I find is funny a client with a cheap budget for a logo

would call half way around the world? The phone call would cost more than the logo.

Who knows, maybe this is the way to run an effecient business. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

suznee

There is a thing called Skype. Cheap calls anywhere in the world. I am  not sure why you think a job posting that says he wants to call the person has anything to do with location.

kat303

@Stephen R wrote:

Do you read and understand the post? Do you see the word logo and apply automaticly?

I can understand what you're referring to in a way. As for phone calls, with Skype you can call other countries "low cost." You need to be aware though, of the time differences. When you're up and needing answers or detail or more information the client/freelancer may be sleeping.

However I can take this one step further. . there are "bot" programs out, that freelancers use to search the job postings for specific keywords. When found, a proposal is generated and submitted. That is why, when a job listing specifically states that a freelancer needs to be physically present for x days in order to do this job, that there are proposals from freelancers in India, Packistan and Bangladesh. I doubt that the client is going to pay for the flight for these freelancers. Or a job posting may ask for a translator fluent in Chinese  and freelancers from these countries are appling. Are 20 of these freelancers all fluent in Chinese or is it because the word "translator" is being detected by one of these bot programs.

I know what Skype is.

I know its free.

I use it all the time. Thanks.

The Client Sepcifically stated he wanted to call.

Skype is usally mentioned in job posts. 

They also have no hiring experience.

Do you think they will call India to discuss a logo on cell phone?  Maybe they have skype, Maybe I'm wrong. 

I would never waste my job connects on a job in Bali if the client wanted to call me on cell phone. 

Kathy breaks it down well. Time difference and Bots.

Freelancers see the word "Logo" and its like blood in the water. Here come the sharks.

I am not sure how BOTs work and how they effect Upwork, but its not a good thing.

@Stephen R wrote:

The Client Sepcifically stated he wanted to call.

Do you think they will call India to discuss a logo on cell phone? 

I would never waste my job connects on a job in Bali if the client wanted to call me on cell phone. 

Is "cell phone" mentioned anywhere?

If a job posting mentions "call" I assume a skype call ...

And has anyone ever SEEN a bidding bot? I always hought they're part of Upwork folklore.....

Clients asks for a cell phone number, not skype.

I never assume on Upwork.

@Petra R wrote:

And has anyone ever SEEN a bidding bot? I always hought they're part of Upwork folklore.....

Petra,

I think you better do a Google search. There are all kinds of bidding bots out there. You really think that some of those posting hundreds of jobs aps previously really sat here bidding on those jobs?

I am from India.  I apply to jobs all over the world and get calls from UK, Australia, USA, Canada, Germany and so on.

It seems you are working on carnet where by your speed is by cars, today world travels by Internet.

Thanks Tarpinder.

I better look into that internet thing.

Cars? Net? Where do i sign up for Carnet?

Is it faster than the Internet?

Oviously its better to call India for a logo than just go to the local print shop in your community.

That is exactly what I was getting at.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Stephen R wrote:

Today I was looking over My Job Feed and saw a post for a job.

If you are appying, do you think this client will call you if your half way around the world?

Then I have have to ask why didnt the client add job filters? This way they could make a call

to a freelancer without spending more than his logo budget? 

It seems something is broken in the job application process.

Only experience helps you hack your way through the Upwork Jungle Job Posts. 

I have experienced several times when I applied to a job offer with perfect native German language knowledge and/or knowledge about the German market necessary that besides me only people around the globe without this language knowledge applied for the job. Logically, I am the only one to be interviewed (and sometimes to be hired) then. A waste of connects for all the others.

I do not know why the freelancers applied for these jobs. Have they been recommended to them? Are some of the low-bidders robots? Are there freelancers who apply for every job on the platform? I sometimes get invitations for the United States as well. However, they are not suitable for me because English is not my native language and therefore I will never write English articles.

I speak English and some Canadian. Yes i crack myself up.

I did have one logo job from Germany. The Client was great but we had a language barrier. The job got done but it was a challenge. 

Yes Margarte you hit the nail on the head.

Culture, language, experience all play into applying on a platform like Upwork.

Why would some person from Iowa want to call Antartica for a logo? It makes no sense. 

Personally i never get phone calls from anyone outside the US. Its to expensive. I get skpye calls from England, Canada and Australia. Only english speaking countries. If I am a corporation and have a budget then I will spend the company money on some hail mary across the ocean. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Stephen R wrote:

I speak English and some Canadian. Yes i crack myself up.

I did have one logo job from Germany. The Client was great but we had a language barrier. The job got done but it was a challenge. 

Yes Margarte you hit the nail on the head.

Culture, language, experience all play into applying on a platform like Upwork.

Why would some person from Iowa want to call Antartica for a logo? It makes no sense. 

Personally i never get phone calls from anyone outside the US. Its to expensive. I get skpye calls from England, Canada and Australia. Only english speaking countries. If I am a corporation and have a budget then I will spend the company money on some hail mary across the ocean. 

It depends from the work you offer. I work for clients around the globe. However, they mainly need perfect German language knowledge and PR in the German market. So, the work to be done is linked to the language knowledge. However, the Upwork algorithm up to now is not able to suggest the suitable jobs to those freelancers whose first language is NOT English. A few days ago writing an article in Spanish language was suggested to me. 

I usually get odd invites or job recomendations where i dont have the skill or wont work for such a low wage.

tanner-james

Wste of the golden connects, but good proposal writing practice I guess.

Regarding time zones, some freelancers specifically take jobs where they will have to work odd hours, because they prefer to be up and working when others are asleep, and to be sleeping when others are up and working. This is why they aren't working at 9 to 5 jobs in offices.

You definitely have an advantage bidding from the same country as the client. That's why I mainly stick with US/Canada bids. I've had a few from other countries but it sucks sometimes. For instance, I've had a couple of Russian clients and at 7am they were emailing me. Not enough coffee to respond... I should never respond before coffee. lol

Had one in Sweden. The company that set up the job was in Vancouver. Try getting a phone call that fits for everyone on that one. lol

I don't think freelancers always read job posts, usually they do. What I have been doing is I'll mass-heart jobs based on advanced search and then I'll later go thru and unheart the jobs I'm not interested in. One of the things that I take note of IS how poorly worded the job is written out. "Need smm" isn't helpful at all when trying to submit a good proposal. I don't know, I have to wonder if there's some sort of educational resources for clients in how to fill out a job; they'd find better providers this way.

As for time zone differences, it's never really been an issue for me. I think the worst one - in terms of time - was a client in Australia. But I know if they want someone available during regular business hours, I don't apply to those either.

All good points.

I think all of us work late, on weekends, on vacations and holidays. Its feast or famine.

I have some great Australian clients, yes its crazy time difference but i get the work done and they skype me early evening and we B.S. about how the weather is there and talk over corrections. Love working with clients Down Under.

Not sure why professional clients need you to  "type a word" if you read the job post?

I guess applicants dont read it. That goes back to my original point. 

Know somebody show me how to sign up for Carnet?

I had an invite last night where I just had to put lol in my response.

He asked me to put "unicorns are cool" in my reply. LOL

I dont think i ever got a job when i posted a KEY WORD.

Again Im not sure why clients ask for it.

I like the tricky ones who put at end of job invite.