🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Do I have to pay Australian income tax on...
Page options
vidhib_06
Community Member

Do I have to pay Australian income tax on my upwork income when I pay GST?

Hi,

For the Australian tax of 2019-2020, I do not have ABN and Upwork pays GST on my income. Do I need to declare it in my income tax return? 

How would I do that? ATO does not seem to attend the call. Why is there no documentation on this?

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
donnelly_drew
Community Member

You will need to talk to an accountant in Australia about your tax obligations. But I think you are confused about GST. If you are an Australian tax resident it is your obligation to pay GST (if it needs to be charged), and Upwork does not pay GST on your income.

Perhaps you are confused because Upwork charges Australian GST on its own income from you (that is the GST that is shown on your invoices from Upwork).

Secondly, in general, you have to pay personal income tax on your Australian income, if you are an Australian tax resident. That is completely different than GST. Generally, you need to pay both. 

There is no comprehensive tax documentation available anywhere online, because it completely depends on your own circumstances, and this is what an accountant is for. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vidhi,

You need to check with your local tax advisor for more information on your taxes. Feel free to check out this help article for more information on the Australian GST.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
donnelly_drew
Community Member

You will need to talk to an accountant in Australia about your tax obligations. But I think you are confused about GST. If you are an Australian tax resident it is your obligation to pay GST (if it needs to be charged), and Upwork does not pay GST on your income.

Perhaps you are confused because Upwork charges Australian GST on its own income from you (that is the GST that is shown on your invoices from Upwork).

Secondly, in general, you have to pay personal income tax on your Australian income, if you are an Australian tax resident. That is completely different than GST. Generally, you need to pay both. 

There is no comprehensive tax documentation available anywhere online, because it completely depends on your own circumstances, and this is what an accountant is for. 

ok, thanks Drew.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members