🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do I have to pay tax to my country if I earn ...
Page options
woiownikbuff
Community Member

Do I have to pay tax to my country if I earn from UpWork?

Hi,

I didn't yet make any transactions from UpWork to my bank, though I'm verified and my card details are there. 

I'm soon going to get $1k, fairly soon, and UpWork get it out as mandatory from what I'v saw. 

Now, I'm very busy doing the work, and I took a little look on taxes, and there is a lot to it. 

I'm in Poland and UK. Well, here or there. 

So my question is, do I still need to pay taxes? When I pay up work 20%? does that count or? 

Also, do I need to register myself as self-employed in my country? Or? 

I'm not sure how the money stuff work. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fatig
Community Member

Where exactly do you live? Do you live in Poland and travel to the UK or the other way round? If you're Polish then PM me, and I'll be able to clarify some issues.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mtngigi
Community Member

No, the 20% fee does not count. That is Upwork's money. If you're going to freelance (or do any work where you earn wages), you should ask a tax professional in the country you reside in.

Freelance means self-employed.

fatig
Community Member

Where exactly do you live? Do you live in Poland and travel to the UK or the other way round? If you're Polish then PM me, and I'll be able to clarify some issues.

maipenrai
Community Member

Hi, Iga. Can you see my message? I'm new at upwork and it'd like to contact you about how to use this site in a legal way. It seems I cannot PM you, because the alert says 'access denied'. Is there some other way to contact you and learn from you? Thanks.

Hello Zofia, 

Welcome to Upwork! Here are some helpful links to get you started:

How Upwork works

Getting started on Upwork

Enhancing your profile for greater success

Untitled
szaflarska
Community Member

Hi Iga! Could you PM me please? I'm also from Poland and I'm trying to find out how to pay taxes. 

If I'm correct you don't need a company to work as a freelancer with "contract for specific work"; the other name for it is "contract of commission" (in polish "umowa o dzieło"). The other option is "fee-for-task agreement"; the other name for it is "civil contract" (in polish "umowa zlecenie"). The question is do I have any of this contracts here with UpWork? If so where is this agreement and how should I pay these taxes in Poland. 

Hello Iga, please, would like to know your direct answer to that post too. I am not from Poland, but from Slovakia, although any information could help. 

Kamila F wrote:

Hello Iga, please, would like to know your direct answer to that post too. I am not from Poland, but from Slovakia, although any information could help. 

In most countries, you don't need to earn very much money before the government starts considering freelancing to be a business rather than a hobby (in the UK, the limit is £1,000). But you will need to look up specific information for your own country and learn how to do bookkeeping and complete all forms properly, or you could end up being fined or even imprisoned. (Better yet, hire an accountant or tax adviser, at least for the first few years that you're in business.) It's not a good idea to take advice on serious matters from somebody in the forum, who may not have the necessary expertise. 

patty_pretty
Community Member

Hi Aurelian,

Yes, you have to register as self employee and also pay taxes. You will pay on the country where you bank account is registered since all your incomings are under the review of the authorities, and they are able to audit your account an have the information about your earnings (who made the transfer, how much you receive, etc.)

Hi Patricia, 
It is a bit old thread but anyway, I use US bank account, and transfer money via WesternUnion to myself (to Uzbekistan), but I do not live in USA, do I still pay taxes to USA if they can audit my bank balance?

re: "I use US bank account, and transfer money via WesternUnion to myself (to Uzbekistan), but I do not live in USA, do I still pay taxes to USA if they can audit my bank balance?"

No.

Read this.

Hi Nodir,

You may want to consult with a local tax advisor so that you can be guided accordingly regarding your tax obligations. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths