๐Ÿˆ Community
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Do I have to provide the software?
Page options
jay_mosley
Community Member

Do I have to provide the software?

Do I need to have the programs like Auto CAD or Revit to work on clients' jobs or do the client give me access to work thru a remote desktop or something?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

You need all equipment necessary to do the job.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
lysis10
Community Member

You need all equipment necessary to do the job.

grimesr
Community Member


Jennifer M wrote:

You need all equipment necessary to do the job.


I think that is an overly broad answer. For me, I negotiate the resources required. Some types of resources should be  your own, if that is a skill you have. If you say you are an Autocad expert, then it would be expected you might have Autocad. However, if the Autocad extension is unique to the project requirements, I see no reason not to ask the client to provide the item or figure out a sharing mechanism.

 

I work on lots of projects that require specific hardware. I require the client to loan me the equipment to be able to develop and test to provide a quality solution.

lysis10
Community Member


Robert G wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

You need all equipment necessary to do the job.


I think that is an overly broad answer. For me, I negotiate the resources required. Some types of resources should be  your own, if that is a skill you have. If you say you are an Autocad expert, then it would be expected you might have Autocad. However, if the Autocad extension is unique to the project requirements, I see no reason not to ask the client to provide the item or figure out a sharing mechanism.

 

I work on lots of projects that require specific hardware. I require the client to loan me the equipment to be able to develop and test to provide a quality solution.


ew, no. I pay for everything and charge them for it. Then it's minnnnnnnnnnnnnne.


But I'm v clever, u c.

grimesr
Community Member

And give Upwork another 20%, not thanks.

 

Also, it doesn't sound like a professional way to conduct business to me.

lysis10
Community Member


Robert G wrote:

And give Upwork another 20%, not thanks.

 

Also, it doesn't sound like a professional way to conduct business to me.


I'm the anti professional professional, bucko.

I
Jennifer M wrote:

Robert G wrote:

And give Upwork another 20%, not thanks.

 

Also, it doesn't sound like a professional way to conduct business to me.


I'm the anti professional professional, bucko.


i find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter


David M wrote:

i find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter


Being this unprofessional takes a lot of skill and hard work. 

I would do that but the software for both Revit and Auto CAD is $3,000 annually I don't have that right now, but that is definitely a great idea, thank you!

Thanks, I use the programs at work everyday but I no longer have access at home because my technical school closed down due to fraudulent activities ending the membership with them (which was the only way to gain free access because the software is extremley expensive for me..) but thank you for replying!

Thank you

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I need to have the programs like Auto CAD or Revit to work on clients' jobs or do the client give me access to work thru a remote desktop or something?"

 

Jessica:

By default, you should assume that any job posting that requires particular software or equipment means that YOU need to own the necessary software or equipment already.

 

A client who wants to hire a freelancer to use AutoCAD intends to hire an expert in this software... a person who uses the software essentially every day and is extremely familiar with it. It is NOT this client's intention to hire an "eager" person who does not necessarily own or know the software, but is willing to read about it and start learning how to work with it.

 

This is what every freelancer should assume, unless otherwise noted in the job posting.


These tips refer to clients who hire freelancers to use commercial software and tools. This does not refer to clients who hire freelancers to use proprietary, company-specific web applications or tools that they know freelancers would not already have or be familiar with and will need to be trained to use.

Thank you as I have been working in the Arch/Engineering world for over 7 years now I know the software very well but do not own it for myself at home the cost is high to me and at the moment do not offer monthly subscriptions otherwise I would do that. I'll either find another way or just wait to freelance until I can obtain the software on my own. Thank you for your reply.

By default, an employer will provide you with the software you need; and a client will expect you to have the software.

 

Upwork job postings are posted by clients, not employers, so unfortunately most AutoCAD job postings will expect the freelancers applying to the job to have access to the tool.

Depending on file compatibility between versions (and precisely what you do), you may find a sensible option is to buy an older version of the software. That will be considerably cheaper than the most up to date version and could be adequate until you can afford to upgrade.

 

Plus don't forget that software will be a business expense to set against tax.

yitwail
Community Member

Jessica, perhaps you can make do with BrisCAD. Supposed to be very similar to AutoCAD and supports AutoCAD file format but much cheaper and it has a free trial.
__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Featured Topics
Learning Paths