🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do I have to report this customer?
Page options
anjagreece
Community Member

Do I have to report this customer?

Hi,

I am new to Upwork. Last week I finished my first job very successfully (customer even paid me an extra bonus). I am very happy about this and I am really motivated to go on working on Upwork.

Last week another client contacted me via Upwork messages. He wrote that he is interested in my experience and that I should contact him by phone, Facebook or email (he sent me all these details on Upwork messages).

I was not sure if I was allowed to contact clients via other communication channels so I told him that I only communicate with clients on Upwork messages.

Later on I was checking the rules and regulations of Upwork again and I found out that it was allowed to contact the customer on other communications channels.

I wrote him an e-mail which started:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Do I have to report this customer? And if yes, does it mean I have to flag him?

I am quite sure that I have to report this customer as I checked the rules and regulations of Upwork again. As I am new on Upwork I am still a little bit unsure about procedures and I do not want to be unfair to anyone and to do everything right. That is the reason why I want to ensure first what is the right thing to do.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Anja,

I would like to confirm that communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation, but offering or accepting to get paid outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS. 
I can recommend checking out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. If you have any additional questions, let me know or feel free to reach out to me via PM with more details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members