🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Do I need a license in UAE to start worki...
Page options
hjaved89
Community Member

Do I need a license in UAE to start working on upwork

Hi, I'm new in Abu Dhabi living on residency visa sponsor is my husband, if I start work from home on Upwork do I need any licence for a part time 2-3 hours job or even for a fixed payment against contract. I worried if I withdraw later I may be caught up by the authorities if it is declared illegal. Plz help and define solution if required. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hina,

Please make sure that you are legally authorized to work on Upwork in the country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may have to consult with a legal advisor about any necessary permits and how to properly report your income.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hina:
Upwork does not require to have any particular license.

Upwork only asks that you obey locally applicable laws. Some places and/or some professions may require you to have a license. Others do not. Upwork does not make those requirements, and Upwork does not provide specific instructions about that. You would need to check with local authorities and experts.

e2a83067
Community Member

Hi Hina, I just saw your post, I am in the same situation now. Did you find a solution you could share?

I am in AD, and under my husband's sponsorship as well.

Thank you!

Hi Tatiana,
I didn't withdraw yet, that would certainly explain any illegality:D. Otherwise I still have no knowledge about UAE laws regarding upwork.
Kindle drop a message to help others when you know the solution I will too.. thanks and Good luck! 👍

@Hina / Tatiana, 

In UAE, a residency visa sponsored by a spouse allows you to work full time without a work permit. 

You just need the written permission of your Husband / Wife that states you are allowed to work. Should not be a problem for you both to withdraw funds. 

acharya_swati
Community Member

Hi Hina/Tatiana

I am also riding the same boat. If you happen to know anything about it please update here also.

Awaiting your response. 

Thanks

Yes, you need an e-commerce licence to do any kind of online jobs independently.
Good Luck !

Please, can you link the e-commerce license here? or from where/how to get it

Can i know if i already have residence visa , how to apply for e commerce licence

Search on google for Dubai freelancer permit (Dubai Development Authority). You already have a residency visa, you don't need to apply for the whole package.

Is this the freelancer permit you talk about?
https://dda.gov.ae/en/registration-licensing/setting-up-a-business/freelancer/freelancer-license-reg...

Which then takes me to GoFreelance

Also, how hard is to open a business bank account (under individual's name) with such permit?

3574cf2a
Community Member

Hi hina, im also living here in Al Ain, AD, i just read your question after 2 years while searching for Upwork in UAE. But my question is that did u got your payments withdrawn? They are asking to provide a TIN (tax identification number) to withdraw, so i searched everywhere and the UAE does not give TIN, so can we withdraw funds without that, please must reply waiting for your response.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths