cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Offers Come Before Any Communication / Negotiation Now?

bf6a6ccc
Anna L Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1 of 6

I'm experiencing something unusual a couple of days and am wondering if its a new Upwork UX for clients / practice, my bad luck or someone trying to lower my rating somehow. I got 2 job offers without any prior communication. One came yesterday, with not enough task details even to see whether I'm up for the job. I couldn't get in touch with the guy (btw he is unknown to me absolutely, and its not related to any job posting of his) so after 24 hours I declined the offer. Did it lower my points, say, for not rejecting the offer right away? Ok, maybe some kind of SPAM, though I. Today I got another offer from a very old customer of mine, who first sent the offer, and after that asked about the price/terms. We didn't agree, and I had to decline again.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
2 of 6

That's not unusual and it doesn't cost you connects.

bf6a6ccc
3 of 6

I mean, if I fail to reply to an interview invitation, my "response time" drops, if I fail to persuade the customer to close a contract, it would eventually skrew up my JS etc. Just wondering what's the best practice of replying to the offers when you don't have enough data to accept or decline.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Anna, 

- I'm experiencing something unusual a couple of days and am wondering if its a new Upwork UX for clients / practice, my bad luck or someone trying to lower my rating somehow. I got 2 job offers without any prior communication.

Clients do have the option to send direct offers, without posting a job. This feature has been available for a couple of years.

- One came yesterday, with not enough task details even to see whether I'm up for the job. I couldn't get in touch with the guy (btw he is unknown to me absolutely, and its not related to any job posting of his) so after 24 hours I declined the offer.

You can message clients who send you direct offers and discuss the job before accepting it. Did you send a message but haven't received a response from your client? Note that sometimes replies come with a delay, due to time difference or a host of other reasons.

- Did it lower my points, say, for not rejecting the offer right away? Ok, maybe some kind of SPAM, though I. Today I got another offer from a very old customer of mine, who first sent the offer, and after that asked about the price/terms. We didn't agree, and I had to decline again.

No, responding to job offers affects neither the Job Success Score nor the responsiveness score.

When it comes to receiving direct offers from clients you haven't worked before, follow up with our team via private messages or ask Customer Support to confirm if the client's billing method is verified. You can also ask the client to provide a link to one of the jobs they posted publicly on Upwork, if possible.

Untitled
bf6a6ccc
5 of 6

Thank you, Vladimir! That's exactly what I needed to know. Yes, I messaged the first client and waited for 24+ hours with no luck. Well, that one was really suspicious anyway. I believe, it would be a great enhancement to Upwork, if we had a profile page for every client account. Not necessarily heavy on details, but the details you get from a job posting page are really helpful (payment method verification, prior collaboration experience and the budget standards the client is normally paying.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Anna,

We have an update lined up for including the details you mentioned in direct job offers but will share more details once we receive an update regarding the ETA.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS