🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do Upwork workers sometimes manually adjust f...
Page options
synergy321
Community Member

Do Upwork workers sometimes manually adjust freelancer JSS

I took a break from selling on Upwork in 2017 until late 2019. So I've been back on the platform for under 6-months. In that time I've completed about 12 projects, and out of 9 reviews, 8 of them have been 5-star reviews. The one review that wasn't 5-star, was a 4.7-star highly satisfied client.

Now if we did the old simple calculation of averaging out all the ratings, I've lost only 0.30 rating points across 9 reviews, so that would be either 5.0 or in percentages, clearly 99.9%. 

Yet, despite not having 1 single negative review, despite having done fairly sizeable jobs of at least several hundred dollars and several over 2K, my JSS has recently dropped first from 100% to 85% and then to 82%.

The more good feedback I get from happy clients the lower my JSS has gone. I recently received 2 new 5-star reviews on significant projects, and then in the latest update yet another drop in rating.

With coronavirus some clients I had open contracts with were either ill or their business was affected. I had one job awarded, and before it ever began the client said let's cancel it, because things we're difficult in Germany where they were located. On other jobs the contracts are completed, but clients seem less likely to leave reviews. 

I don't know to what extent lack of feedback on some jobs, or a sudden open/close of a contract can have on the JSS of a freelancer. But if a freelancer whose statistical average rating is 99.9% can be listed as 82% without any unhappy clients, it's certaintly a misleading system. Imagine as a buyer if you are sometimes buying on the platform, would you ever look at a freelancer with a 95% and another at 85%, and think that in actual fact the freelancer with 85% may have more consistently good ratings? Would you bother to read the reviews to find out? If the JSS routinely deducts 10-15% because of client behavior that is beyond control of the freelancer, then the system isn't much different from a lottery. I actual read in the JSS guide to how the score is calculated, that the system automatically presumes that if a contract is opened and $0 is exchanged, that the client must be unhappy. Who designed such a foolish system? The client could be sick, or dead, or bankrupt. Or they may have changed their mind about the project. Whatever the reason, how do freelancers predict if a client might cancel a project that is never started, or that they may never leave any feedback regardless of the outcome? Why does Upwork measure our prediction skills instead of our freelance work skills?

Aside from the JSS algorythm itself, it is also notable that my JSS started to rapidly decline shortly after I strongly objected to Upwork automatically cancelling all of my bids after a technical issue left me locked out of my account. The Upwork tracker had a glitch in it's Google Sign-on integration, and the result was that my account ended up temporarily locked. It only took a few hours to regain access, but the cost to me as a freelancer was thousands of dollars in bids lost. Upwork for some reason, has a policy of automatically deleting all bids even if you're locked out only for 1-second. Of course Upwork compensated me for the situation by paying me $6 in connect refunds for in exchange for the thousands of dollars of time lost on bids and the $60 worth of bid connects that the system took.

After raising this issue on Twitter and calling Upwork out for this policy, in subsequent updates my JSS has declined from 100% to 85% despite receiving only 5-star reviews in that period of time, combined with only 5-star reviews in the previous 6-months overall with the exception of a 4.7 star review. It's hard not to think that somebody has in some form flagged the account or made a manual edit to the JSS score. 

9 REPLIES 9
sjbercot
Community Member

Clients can leave private feedback, and this affects your JSS. So you can have 5-star public reviews and a few lower private ratings that result in a JSS lower than your calculation. What does your Clients who recommend you percentage look like in your stats? That can shed more light on how your clients rate you privately.

jr-translation
Community Member

Casey Joel M wrote:

I took a break from selling on Upwork in 2017 until late 2019. So I've been back on the platform for under 6-months. In that time I've completed about 12 projects, and out of 9 reviews, 8 of them have been 5-star reviews. The one review that wasn't 5-star, was a 4.7-star highly satisfied client.

Now if we did the old simple calculation of averaging out all the ratings, I've lost only 0.30 rating points across 9 reviews, so that would be either 5.0 or in percentages, clearly 99.9%. 

Yet, despite not having 1 single negative review, despite having done fairly sizeable jobs of at least several hundred dollars and several over 2K, my JSS has recently dropped first from 100% to 85% and then to 82%.

The more good feedback I get from happy clients the lower my JSS has gone. I recently received 2 new 5-star reviews on significant projects, and then in the latest update yet another drop in rating.

With coronavirus some clients I had open contracts with were either ill or their business was affected. I had one job awarded, and before it ever began the client said let's cancel it, because things we're difficult in Germany where they were located. On other jobs the contracts are completed, but clients seem less likely to leave reviews. 

I don't know to what extent lack of feedback on some jobs, or a sudden open/close of a contract can have on the JSS of a freelancer. But if a freelancer whose statistical average rating is 99.9% can be listed as 82% without any unhappy clients, it's certaintly a misleading system. Imagine as a buyer if you are sometimes buying on the platform, would you ever look at a freelancer with a 95% and another at 85%, and think that in actual fact the freelancer with 85% may have more consistently good ratings? Would you bother to read the reviews to find out? If the JSS routinely deducts 10-15% because of client behavior that is beyond control of the freelancer, then the system isn't much different from a lottery. I actual read in the JSS guide to how the score is calculated, that the system automatically presumes that if a contract is opened and $0 is exchanged, that the client must be unhappy. Who designed such a foolish system? The client could be sick, or dead, or bankrupt. Or they may have changed their mind about the project. Whatever the reason, how do freelancers predict if a client might cancel a project that is never started, or that they may never leave any feedback regardless of the outcome? Why does Upwork measure our prediction skills instead of our freelance work skills?

Aside from the JSS algorythm itself, it is also notable that my JSS started to rapidly decline shortly after I strongly objected to Upwork automatically cancelling all of my bids after a technical issue left me locked out of my account. The Upwork tracker had a glitch in it's Google Sign-on integration, and the result was that my account ended up temporarily locked. It only took a few hours to regain access, but the cost to me as a freelancer was thousands of dollars in bids lost. Upwork for some reason, has a policy of automatically deleting all bids even if you're locked out only for 1-second. Of course Upwork compensated me for the situation by paying me $6 in connect refunds for in exchange for the thousands of dollars of time lost on bids and the $60 worth of bid connects that the system took.

After raising this issue on Twitter and calling Upwork out for this policy, in subsequent updates my JSS has declined from 100% to 85% despite receiving only 5-star reviews in that period of time, combined with only 5-star reviews in the previous 6-months overall with the exception of a 4.7 star review. It's hard not to think that somebody has in some form flagged the account or made a manual edit to the JSS score. 

There are only two parties that influence your JSS: the clients and youself. Looking at your job history it shows that you yourseld made "manual edits to the JSS score".
You have 18 jobs in the calculation window, 10 of them without a feedback. Too many contracts without feedback harm the JSS. Next time close them one at a time if you have to. The check the "Clients who would recommend you" in your stats page.

It's true I've got 6 projects that ended in late March or during April that have no feedback... the feedback rate has dropped dramatically during the pandemic. But I'd be surprised to find that even contracts that just closed, where feedback might be arriving soon, would cause you take somebody from highly recommended to a strong recommendation to never hire them. It's the difference (100% JSS versus 82%) of being able to win jobs consistently, or having absolutely no chance of being able to use the platform at all. That seems a big penalty to face because a few clients are busy and unable or unwilling to make Upworks feedback system a priority. 

tlbp
Community Member

Casey Joel M wrote:

It's true I've got 6 projects that ended in late March or during April that have no feedback... the feedback rate has dropped dramatically during the pandemic. But I'd be surprised to find that even contracts that just closed, where feedback might be arriving soon, would cause you take somebody from highly recommended to a strong recommendation to never hire them. It's the difference (100% JSS versus 82%) of being able to win jobs consistently, or having absolutely no chance of being able to use the platform at all. That seems a big penalty to face because a few clients are busy and unable or unwilling to make Upworks feedback system a priority. 

Wow, unfair system and a brand that takes the time to personally adjust your score just to teach you a lesson, huh? I think if I believed that about a platform, I'd look for somewhere else to market my skills. 

Upwork only bases JSS on contracts completed within the preceding 24-months. None of your pre-April 2018 reviews are included in the calculation. Positive scores from previous periods are dropping out of the calculation window as soon as they pass the 24-month mark which means that your score can change at each calculation point without any current reviews being registered. 
Upwork also recently changed the algorithm to give more weight to contracts that paid more than $1000 over those that paid less. So, a <$1k contract with a high rating will not impact your JSS as much as a >$1k low rating. One no longer counterbalances the other. 

synergy321
Community Member

Counterbalancing of negative and positive feedback would not seem to be relevant to me, I don't have any negative feedback since 2017 which as you point out that is outside the maximum 24-month calculation period. And note that 24-months is the maximum (longest calculation period). Upwork uses 3 calculations of periods according to it's guide on JSS calculation, a 6-month, 12-month and 24-month. Because I restarted about 7-months ago I would have either only a 6-month rating, or both a 6-month and 12-month. But these would be fairly identical, as only 3 jobs extra are in that 12-month span that are not in the 6-month calculation period. Whatever hidden factors dropped my JSS from 100% 4-weeks ago to 82% today are clearly from something that happened in that timespan, as I don't have anything lost beyond that span. 

Bear in mind my JSS was 100% just 2 periods ago or 4-weeks past. I have had 3 reviews since then, all 5-star reviews. Somebody theorized that maybe one of those clients left 5-star public reviews and did the opposite in private. I know each of those clients well enough, that I don't believe that's the case. 

As far as balancing small and large jobs yes I have jobs both under and over 1K. All have positive feedback, so what is there to counterbalance? Counterbalancing yes would be a factor if you had negative feedback. I don't have negative feedback, hence my interest in finding out what caused my rating to go from 100% to 82%, from the top of the field to unhirable, from a profitable business, to zero income. 

The biggest single factor I can think of would be the job I got from Germany that I mentioned where the buyer on the same day of awarding, cancelled it because things were getting crazy in his area as a result of the pandemic. That combined with a number of contracts ending, clients in some cases disappearing... one did turn out to have been infected and just returned the other day. Most were just busy/distracted enough to not consider Upwork's feedback system important.

So I reached out today to 2 of my clients who did not leave feedback to ask if they could help. I attached their responses. If there is any advice I could offer to other freelancers it would be if you notice a project without a review, reach out to ask for one before the deadline. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I mentioned 2 clients without feedback that responsed to me... this was the other one. To reiterate the point, .don't rely on Upwork to gather your feedback... I doubt what the clients are saying is accurate entirely, they probably just forget, but both claim to have either left feedback or tried to. Both expressing they wanted to... if the calculation is such that it will take you from 100% to 82% over missing feedback, well for me personally these 2 missing reviews arguably cost me 90% of my income, and eliminated my freelancer business at least from Upwork, taking me into the unhirable zone after 15-years on the platform (I started as an Elancer). 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Casey, if you let the clients close the contracts you will get feedback every time they close the contract.

What you can do now is go to the contracts in question for those 2 clients and click on Terms and Settings and then on Enable client to change feedback (even if none was left) and then tell the clients they can now leave feedback.

enable client.png

Contracts that end with no feedback do NOT affect your JSS unless you have a massive percentage of such contracts. All that matters is that something was at some point paid. There are people with 80+ % "No Feedback" contracts and 100% JSS.

Contracts that end with nothing ever paid and poor or no private feedback have a negative effect. Contracts that end with nothing ever paid and positive private feedback have no effect.

Casey Joel M wrote:

I mentioned 2 clients without feedback that responsed to me... this was the other one. To reiterate the point, .don't rely on Upwork to gather your feedback... I doubt what the clients are saying is accurate entirely, they probably just forget, but both claim to have either left feedback or tried to. Both expressing they wanted to... if the calculation is such that it will take you from 100% to 82% over missing feedback, well for me personally these 2 missing reviews arguably cost me 90% of my income, and eliminated my freelancer business at least from Upwork, taking me into the unhirable zone after 15-years on the platform (I started as an Elancer). 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**  by closing all these contracts yourself instead of asking the clients do close them.

C: You have a 14 day window to change a feedback. Go to the two contracts and check if it is still possible.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

A couple of posts on this thread have been edited or removed as they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Please, refrain from making personal attacks when discussing topics in this Community
I'd also like to confirm that your Job Success Score is calculated correctly and is intact. It's not possible for Upwork team members to manually adjust the calculation.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members