cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do We Really Need the Top Solutions Authors List and Top Kudoed Members List?

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
11 of 23

Social Media Marketing -- Regarding any value forum posting might have....

See http://community.odesk.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Top-Solution-Authors/m-p/59622#U59622

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 23

Dianne,

Not sure if you want to or not, but I turned off "Private Messages" under the Preference Options as I didn't want to be messaged in here. Not that it solves the problem you are referring to but it solves being pestered when I am posting in the forum. 

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
13 of 23

hi Suzzane,

what bothers me are the emails I got from my website (so are these people are seeking me out??!!) and tagging me on FB. If they want to pester oDesk staff then they should pester those being paid by the site.

the forum PM system is not the problem. It's the unwanted exposure and unwanted attention which doesn't benefit me at all.

Maybe the only solution is to stop participating so in 30 days, I would be gone from those lists yeyyyy!!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
14 of 23
For those of us who have 'I don't work for oDesk' signatures - signatures are not visible on the mobile version of the site.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 23

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and opinions about the forum's features, I will certainly share it with the Team. We will keep working on ways to improve the Community and we would like to be able to show appreciation to our most active and valued participants without making them feel uncomfortable. Meanwhile, I would also suggest turning off the Private Messenger feature by going to My Settings>Preferences>Private Messenger and unticking the box.

Thanks again!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 23

Thanks Valeria.

However, if I disable my forum PMs, how else would I be able to talk with other active forum members privately? I would hate to stop corresponding with other active members who l think of as friends (btw, you guys are always welcome in my inbox). Also, how would I send messages to you mods if my forum PM is off?

The problem is not the forum PM system, it's the way some profiles are presented which makes other people think that simple active and helpful forum members are working for the site.

Should I ban everyone else from my inbox when the REAL and easy solution is to simply add an Odesk badge to the profiles of those working for the platform?

It shouldn't be too hard to do that.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
17 of 23

Hi Dianne,

We don't have any plans to do away with these two functions. They are an important element towards participation here on the Community and we have found them quite effective in doing so. 

As I've noted elsewhere on a similar thread, I like the idea of adding a logo to oDesk staff profiles and will work on a way to do so. 

Community Guru
18 of 23

I'm STILL getting PMs from people sending me the their whole message thread with oDesk support. I don't bother replying anymore. I simply click on IGNORE USER. Maybe in a bit more it will be IGNORE FORUM like Suzzane's thread.

Also, I don't post here to get some kudos or to be voted as top solutions author.  

I post because I care so as far as I am concerned, those two lists do not affect me nor my posting habits in a positive manner. They are NOT effective for me despite me being the current top person in both lists.

All I get from being on them are unwanted attention from people asking for help or messages from people thinking I'm working for the site. I certainly don't need people harrasing me on FB and tagging me in social media as a lazy oDesk staff just because of some list(s) which misrepresents me.

Isn't it weird that those who are on the list are not a fan of it? Or is stopping posting and participating the only solution? 

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
19 of 23

Mr. Garnor seems to be the only one that thinks they are really needed.

lol@important elements

Community Guru
20 of 23

It seems the IGNORE  USER button is not working. I keep getting messages from this one guy here and I'm not sure if he's just stup!d because I stated 4x in 4 separate replies that I do not work for oDesk and I'm just a member like him. He reads my replies (this can be checked in the PM itself which states when something has been read by the recipient) but really, with what he is doing, it's no wonder oDesk suspended and hid his applications. He's a crazy spammer with no comprehension skills (with 4.90 stars and 400+ hours!!!).

oDesk, please give us a forum that works if the main site won't. Why is it that the IGNORE button is useless?

Can you just make him unable to pester anyone else? I don't care if you kick him out the site just to stop him from sending me the same messages again and again asking for help. I can't believe I'm saying this but he does not possess enough brain cells to continue being here based on how he's acting. This is one person who IMO deserves to be on review despite having a good profile. I can't believe someone with a profile like his can be so dense and not be able to understand simple instructions sent 4x on how to contact the proper oDesk support persons. He still wants me to lift his suspension despite me telling him 4x that I am not from oDesk and I have no power whatsoever to do that as a freelancer just like him. If zombies attack his place, they would pass him over because guess what? NO BRAINS to eat!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS