cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do We Really Need the Top Solutions Authors List and Top Kudoed Members List?

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 23

I can't believe I'm saying this but yup, I am. I think that the Top Solutions Authors list and Top Kudoed Members list have to go.

Why?

I keep getting forum PMs from people who thinks I work for oDesk. Even if I say I'm just a member like them and send them links as to who they should contact, they often send more details of their problems and asking me to solve it or do a follow-up... and it ends with me simply blocking them or clicking on 'ignore user'. 

I love helping people but I think that the way profiles are presented, it sends a wrong message to the majority of people who visits the forums (I think the majority are one-time lurkers or only goes here if they have a problem). 

Btw, the Top Solutions Authors and Most Kudoed Members displays stats for the last 30 days only...so if someone out there is trying to get girls scout or boy scout badges by treating the forum like FB, I'm sorry but being on the list will NOT get you clients and will NOT get you money...so just a heads up  --- I'm the current person on the top of those lists and FYI, I'm not getting any extra privilege from the site and yes, I'm a REAL person haha!

It is either take down these lists or ADD a big oDesk logo to the profiles of the platform's staff to avoid users from thinking 'we' are not doing our jobs.

Example of GRRRR situation which came out of this thing: Just the other day I was browsing one of the freelancing FB groups and someone at an oDesk-related FB group posted a link of my forum profile (and a few others) and said I'm no help at all and oDesk shouldn't be paying me (he's one of those whose forum PM I didn't respond to).FYI: I am NOT paid anything at all and I don't work for oDesk. He must have mistaken the Top Solutions Author's List for customer service staff...

Lately, the lists makes me feel like this:

If someone would post a reply to these and say I should simply stop posting to avoid being on the list, HELLO, this is a forum and I won't let some lists (which I don't get the purpose of) stop me from voicing out things.

Also, I'm not against people giving kudos to each other...I like that function since oftentimes, I find posts which voices out my exact sentiments. What I don't like is how it can be misinterpreted...especially the Top Solutions Authors list.

I'm also not against helping out some people, but it should be clear that I'm not an oDesk staff and I am posting and taking time to help out at my OWN expense.

I don't appreciate people asking me to do things for them as if it's my duty or yakking at FB about me not helping them. That can damage my online reputation and I don't even do customer service work.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
2 of 23

Wow so top Kudos is becoming like a money back guarantee badge with none of its benefits. May be odesk can make a separate section for top moderators so that people can pester the right people. Until then may be you should turn off the Private Messages or ignore the ones from strangers. For some this should not be an issue because if your odesk profile is shown by clicking, then no one can send you PMs or stuff. I will do my part and will not send you Kudos.

Community Guru
3 of 23

I'm not against people giving kudos to each other...I like that function since oftentimes, I find posts which voices out my exact sentiments. What I don't like is how it can be misinterpreted...especially the Top Solutions Authors list.

I'm also not against helping out some people, but it should be clear that I'm not an oDesk staff and I am posting and taking time to help out at my OWN expense.

I don't appreciate people asking me to do things for them as if it's my duty or yakking at FB about me not helping them. Good thing only my forum profile shows or else. I also asked the mod of the FB group to take it down.

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 23

lol @ Aseem Woman LOL

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
5 of 23

We don't, and I wish they would remove all the features that make it like a contest. I miss the simplicity of the old forum; I have even noticed forum is not as active as it used to be.

I totally agree with Junelle.

Quote:

Junelle A

Community Guru

‎"Not that it matters, but it looks like now we are being labeled as to how many posts we have made. Why label us?"

i agree. what difference does it make? we didn't have this in the old forum and people participated anyway - oDesk, is this your answer to another member's request for an incentive?

what are the stats for, why do we need to know how much time a person spends in the forum or how many posts they've created? and the kudos? gosh, like it's some contest.

Community Guru
6 of 23

Yeah I noticed lots of people I used to look forward reading the posts of are not posting anymore Smiley Sad

Maybe we should kudos the mods' posts and keep clicking their responses as the Best Answer so they'll be the ones getting the unsolicited messages and getting blasted at FB haha! Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
7 of 23

It will be interesting to see how many Kudos does the OP get for this post. 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 23

Unfortunately, these "community gurus" and the like often do the job that should be done by oDesk staff. The forum staff seem to be hamstrung, and only able to churn out the same canned responses to the endless list of cries for help (which shouldn't even be on the forum really - they're only on it because of a failing of the support team to communicate adequately)

I like the idea on one level of giving lots of kudos (singular noun) to the mods so that they rise up the list - but then again I think I would need to be honest to my self and think "why kudos? they're just doing their job and covering for someone else in the process".

But certainly (and it must be relatively simple even for oDesk's Web people to do) the moderators and any oDesk staff should have an unambiguous sign next to their name signiifying that they work for oDesk. How hard can that be??

Community Guru
9 of 23

Stephen,

I'm very much tempted to do just that, click on all the platform staffs' posts, give them loads of kudos, and keep picking them as the best answer. It won't be honest but with the way things are going, it might be the best thing for me to do to divert the attention to them haha Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 23

New messages in my inbox!

This guy wanted me to hide his feedback and said only I can work and do that for him.

For such an established freelancer here at oDesk, he certainly seems NOT smart enough to see which person works for the site and who doesn't.

Garnor, can I just be taken out of the top solutions author's list if you want to keep the list?

I don't want people harassing me here or looking me up at Linkedin and google just to send me oDesk help messages at my fb, my website, and OMG, my crafting blog!

Ask me about DIY and cooking but please no more help me with oDesk messages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I will simply click your post as best answer or this thread, and I will do that for my other threads just to take myself off the top of the list. Seems to be the only way. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS