🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do bonus payments on hourly projects go throu...
Page options
fareedlancer
Community Member

Do bonus payments on hourly projects go through the 5-day security period for top-rated?

Hello, 

I became Top-Rated last week. I read that one of the advantages of becoming Top Rated is that there will be no 5-day security holds on hourly project payments. 

Today, I received a bonus payment on one of my hourly projects, but it didn't become available. It went to 'pending', and I can't see a date for when they'll become available. 

Any guidance on this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!   

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Fareed S wrote:

Today, I received a bonus payment on one of my hourly projects, but it didn't become available. It went to 'pending', and I can't see a date for when they'll become available. 

Bonus payments go through the 5 day security period as usual. It's only the hourly payments that don't (and those come with a 5 day review period so there is basically already a security period built in).

The date will become available within 24 hours, it's 5 days after Upwork has successfully (!) charged the client.

Hello Petra, 

Thanks for your thorough response! I waited 24 hours for the dates to show up, but they're still not there. It just says 'pending' even though it's been about 25-30 hours since I received bonuses on two hourly projects.

When will these dates and funds become available? Thanks again!   

Fareed S wrote:

When will these dates and funds become available? Thanks again!   

Oh! Check on your Reports > Pending page rather than the transaction history. Is there still no date in the left hand column?

pending date.png

Usually it appears within a day. If it doesn't, there is a chance that the client's withdrawal method could not be charged successfully at the first attempt. You say it happened with two contracts? 2 contracts with two different clients? Or the same client?

Yes, I've been checking it in the pending tab of reports (Please see attached).  

They're two contracts from two different clients. I've been smoothly receiving payments from both of these clients in the past. 

All sorts of stuff on the site isn't updating as it should be at the moment. You might also want to check with a different browser. I find that since a couple of weeks ago the site has become literally unusable with Safari, yet works ok on Firefox.

That's a bit concerning, because who knows how long these payments take to get processed.

Thanks for the tip about browsers. I use Google Chrome, but there's still no dates on Firefox either.

Hi Fareed, in general, Upwork charges clients' payment methods for any outstanding balance such as bonuses once a day. Once the charge is successful, the date will show next to the transaction in the Transaction History report. That's the date when that money will become available to withdraw. Please, allow at least 1 business day for the transaction to be processed. If it still shows as Pending afterward, please discuss this with your client. Note that bonuses, expenses, and other manual payments aren't covered by Payment Protection, you can learn more about Hourly Protection here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members