iaabraham

Do clients get our messages when we withdraw an application?

This is the fifth or sixth time now that a client doesn't seem to have gotten the message that I sent when withdrawing my job application.

(Not the one in the "Other" field, but field that says "Message: Add an optional message to share with the client when we notify them that this proposal has been withdrawn.")

Does the client not get a notification of the message? Are they simply ignoring it or does anyone else have this problem?

E.g., the client and I were in the interview stage of the job; their requirements seemed inconsistent and they went silent, so I withdrew my application with a message. Then later they came back with a message that implied they hadn't seen the message attached to my withdrawal ...

8 REPLIES 8
wendy_writes

Good question, Isabelle - and one I would like to know the answer to as well.

Another question along the same lines for a moderator:

When declining an Invite I often check the 'other' box and write in Please see my message below. Does U have any way of confirming that buyers read the actual reason in the box?

I often explain WHY I've declined to bid as RFP is grossly incomplete as I take the time to point out the missing info. If there aren't analytics to confirm buyers actually read the messages I'll quit wasting my time.

Wendy,

The client will not be informed about the reason why you decline their invitation. That information is recorded by Upwork internally. The optional message below, will be sent to the client but we have no way to track whether or not they read it.

Screenshot_1.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks, Valeria ... I'll continue to give my reasons for declining when I feel the buyer is for real and honestly doesn't realize what is needed.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I checked with the team and it looks like currently the optional message the freelancer writes when withdrawing a proposal isn't delivered to the client. Unfortunately, there is no ETA for when this issue will be fixed but we'll work on prioritizing it.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I checked with the team and it looks like currently the optional message the freelancer writes when withdrawing a proposal isn't delivered to the client. Unfortunately, there is no ETA for when this issue will be fixed but we'll work on prioritizing it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought Valeria. I hope this does get prioritized because I think it's kind of an important issue. Also, is it just me affected or is a platform-wide bug?

It's not just you, Isabelle Anne. It's platform-wide.

~ Valeria
Upwork

hello

Just wondering, Is this issue resolved now?

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

This is the fifth or sixth time now that a client doesn't seem to have gotten the message that I sent when withdrawing my job application.

Do you mean to say that this has happened to you with 5 or 6 different clients or have you tried try to withdraw your proposal 5 or 6 times from the same client?

(Not the one in the "Other" field, but field that says "Message: Add an optional message to share with the client when we notify them that this proposal has been withdrawn.")

At my end as a freelancer, I used to receive a notification whenever my proposal expires.  These days, I notice the news whenever I check my profile page and the proposal number at my right screen get to be diminished.  Verifying the news via the Archived prosals page helps a lot in clarifying what happened to my proposals.

The new feature that I especially find useful these days is the NotePad.  I find it extremely convenient to jot my thoughts down and it saves a lot of my time since it automatically saves whatever is written on that space.  

Does the client not get a notification of the message? Are they simply ignoring it or does anyone else have this problem?

E.g., the client and I were in the interview stage of the job; their requirements seemed inconsistent and they went silent, so I withdrew my application with a message. Then later they came back with a message that implied they hadn't seen the message attached to my withdrawal ...

Is it possible that they're just being polite or trying to be figurative with you?