🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do clients normally ask freelancers to critic...
Page options
paucass
Community Member

Do clients normally ask freelancers to critic/give feedback on their own creative content

With this client. I feel like I'm doing the work of an art director or critic instead of a freelancer. I am being patient and helpful but I feel like this sort of scenario is overstepping some freelancer client boundaries.

The client wants me to do something for them but the conversation devolves into me helping him become a better artist. I feel as if my role has shifted into consulting instead of freelancing. I am wondering if is this a normal interaction with client and freelancer or is it highly unusual?

No contract has started yet.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Sounds like "feature creep" before the contract has even started.

Until there's a contract in place, you owe them nothing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Sounds like "feature creep" before the contract has even started.

Until there's a contract in place, you owe them nothing.

Hi, I'm not quite familiar with the term "feature creep" would mind elaborating as to what they are. although  I may have some idea

Feature creep is basically adding new requirements/features/ideas to the original scope, eventually resulting in time and/or cost overruns.

For a current example, the game Star Citizen suffers from MASSIVE feature creep these days.

petra_r
Community Member

There is nothing wrong with freelance consulting, but at this stage you are not doing any "freelance consulting", you are doing "FREE consulting". Stop doing that.

If the client hires you (with that kind of client, I would insist on an hourly contract...) and ONLY if the client hires you, you can carry on consulting (billing time for doing so of course) as much as the client likes.

Until such a time, it's an absolute no-no to waste your time for free.

paucass
Community Member

tlbp
Community Member

Paulina U wrote:

With this client. I feel like I'm doing the work of an art director or critic instead of a freelancer. I am being patient and helpful but I feel like this sort of scenario is overstepping some freelancer client boundaries.

The client wants me to do something for them but the conversation devolves into me helping him become a better artist. I feel as if my role has shifted into consulting instead of freelancing. I am wondering if is this a normal interaction with client and freelancer or is it highly unusual?

No contract has started yet.

The two highlighted phrases are mutually exclusive. If you are not being paid, you do not have a client. If a client wants you to offer advice or criticism, then negotiate a fee for doing so and then bill them accordingly.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members