๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Do clients who don't end contracts affect my ...
Page options
rainieye
Community Member

Do clients who don't end contracts affect my JSS?

Hey fam,

I've been on Upwork for 2 months and have delivered all jobs with 5 stars reviews. Most clients also left really nice reviews except 1 who said nothing but 5 stars. I don't think that's the problem for me having 85% JSS.

I am suspecting but looking for confirmation, whether have 10+ open contracts would affect JSS? Some of my clients just don't end the contract for whatever reasons - could be waiting for more projects, could have deleted the app, some are hourly contracts but only hired me for 1h a month ago...

So can anyone confirm whether all of these contracts being left open affect JSS? I am already providing the best services possible if that's your suggestion.

Many thanks!!!!!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yunan -

 

The most likely reasons for the 85% are:

1) you have some contracts without any money being paid on them at all that have been open a few months or were closed that way

2) at least one of your clients left private feedback that was lower than the 5 stars they left for public feedback 

 

If you do close out some of those dormant contracts that have some money paid on them, do it slowly so you don't have a bunch of "no feedback left" in a row on your profile. That may not have any effect on your JSS, but it doesn't look good on the profile.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

A contract left open should not have much impact on JSS. But it could have some impact. Because a factor that counts positively toward JSS is the percentage of client relationships that are "long term".

 

For a client relationship to count as long term, it must be with a client with which you have earned money three or more months ago, and also you have earned money from during the past month.

 

Contracts closed without feedback?

 

We use be a lot more worried about that.

 

Now: not so much.

 

I think that when JSS was originally established this weighed heavily as a factor, but I don't think it has any impact now unless the percentage of no-feedback contracts is extreme. Petra reports seeing profiles with 80% no-feedback contracts, and still 100% JSS (if I recall correctly).

 

My recommendation is that you close inactive contracts. As long as you earned some money from them, then having these contracts closed - even with no client feedback - should not hurt JSS. And in fact that would be better than having a large number of contracts open but earning no money at all.

Hi Preston.

 

Thanks a lot for your reply!

But exactly, I've also seen people with 100% JSS, but seriously, How?

I am already over-delivering to make sure every single client is ultra happy. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong to get 85%.

I want to at least have it above 90% to be competitive for jobs. Not looking for 100% but it amazes me that it can be achieved...

So frustrating not knowing how to improve.

Yunan -

 

The most likely reasons for the 85% are:

1) you have some contracts without any money being paid on them at all that have been open a few months or were closed that way

2) at least one of your clients left private feedback that was lower than the 5 stars they left for public feedback 

 

If you do close out some of those dormant contracts that have some money paid on them, do it slowly so you don't have a bunch of "no feedback left" in a row on your profile. That may not have any effect on your JSS, but it doesn't look good on the profile.

Thanks Wes,

 

Those sound reasonable. How about hourly contracts that may or may not have more jobs in the future? There is no money in escrow and the clients are not responding. But they did say there may be future jobs when they left it. Do you think I could close them or wait?

 

Cheers


Yunan Y wrote:

How about hourly contracts that may or may not have more jobs in the future? There is no money in escrow and the clients are not responding. But they did say there may be future jobs when they left it. Do you think I could close them or wait?

 

Cheers


Hourly contracts don't have escrow. There's no reason to close them, especially if the client said they might have something in the future.

petra_r
Community Member


Yunan Y wrote:

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong to get 85%.

 


What is your "clients who would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats" page?

That is the private feedback your clients (those that gave you feedback) gave you.

 

Usually it gives a hint as to why the JSS is lower than the freelancer thinks it should be.

 

It's rarely ever "inactive contracts" - in fact I can't remember the last time I saw a profile where that was the case. Not one of your open contracts has been open long enough to affect your JSS in a negative way, but you want to start getting those inactive open contracts closed before they accumulate even more. 

 

In general, as long as money was, at some point, paid under a contract, it doesn't harm your JSS.

 

rainieye
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer. It's quite informative. 

73% of my clients would recommend me, so I am guessing that's where the problem is at.

I could try nagging some clients to end fixed-price contracts. But others are hourly contracts that are halted or just open until future work becomes available..Those would be fine to leave open?

petra_r
Community Member


Yunan Y wrote:

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer. It's quite informative. 

73% of my clients would recommend me, so I am guessing that's where the problem is at.

Well, there you have it. Clients are giving you poor(er) private feedback. Try to identify why they may be doing that-

 


Yunan Y wrote:

 

I could try nagging some clients to end fixed-price contracts. But others are hourly contracts that are halted or just open until future work becomes available..Those would be fine to leave open?


I would ask (NEVER! nag!!) all clients with inactive contracts if they would mind closing the contracts, and point out that the can easily rehire you when they have more work for you.


Ask once only, or maybe a second reminder (weeks between) and then close the contract yourself. Close them out one at the time, starting with the oldest, and have a few contracts with feedback in between so you don't have a huge block of "No Feedback" contracts.


But idle contracts are not what affects your JSS, poor private feedback is.

 

Hello Petra,

My "clients who would recommend you" was 80% but JSS is 70%
I think the reason is project's weight.
Am I true?

Also, I am suspecting two contracts with poor feedback [one of them or both]
Is there a way to figured out, one or two?

Thanks in advance.


Mohammad D wrote:

My "clients who would recommend you" was 80% but JSS is 70%
I think the reason is project's weight.
Am I true?.


The "Clients who would recommend you" metric is only updated after around 5 or so contracts, so it probably simply hasn't caught up.

 


Mohammad D wrote:

Is there a way to figured out, one or two?

Thanks in advance.


I's definitely at least 2, you have 9 completed contracts, one poor outcome would not cost 30% of the JSS. It is 2 or more, probably 3.

Thanks Petra,
I think you are right and got your point!

My  "Clients who would recommend you" is now 88%
So, I hope after two week JSS will has some kind of increase.

Please, one more question:
I have filed adispute against client's contract, Is there a way to figure out if client's feedback is already included in my current JSS or not yet.
Just to keep my mind in peace and looking forward other staff without interrupt.

I really appreciate your help

Thanks in advance!


Mohammad D wrote:

Is there a way to figure out if client's feedback is already included in my current JSS or not yet.


If the contract ended before Sunday, yes.

Very well,
That's very realistic as I don't have anything to worry about, towards that case.
what happened is happened.

I am really shy to ask another question, please feel free to skip if you are busy or something.

I have to end client's contract then I mentioned the reason of end: other. and I explained what happened.
On th the other side, client didn't provide feedback yet or end contract from his side, but I got my hours  paid.

So, how that does effect on JSS?

Thanks agian for your help


Mohammad D wrote:

I have to end client's contract then I mentioned the reason of end: other. and I explained what happened.
On th the other side, client didn't provide feedback yet or end contract from his side, but I got my hours  paid.

So, how that does effect on JSS?


Not at all. Unless the client comes back and leaves feedback.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths