🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Do long-term contracts help my JSS if there i...
Page options
benjamin_blue
Community Member

Do long-term contracts help my JSS if there is (yet) to be any work done?

hello,

I have two contracts i need help with. Things have picked up for me here since these two started, and i am just now taking a step back and checking out my feedback as well as learning about JSS, for starters.

1.  Client One hired me three months ago, and i have not heard from him since. I have messaged him after two months and recived no reply. I had little work when this started and agreed to a rate that was less than half of my last contract. I don't mind letting it go. Does keeping it alive help my JSS, even if no work is done? I guess a better way to ask it is, aside from the low rate ( i can propose new terms i am realizing as i type) is there any reason not to just let it sit, even if no work is ever done?
  2. Client Two's listing on my profile reads "no feedback given" - is that my mistake that i left none for him, the other way around, or did niether of us? Does this affect my JSS / if so what can i do?
  3. Client Three - My only feedback that i don't think is accurate - and that i know is full of bad grammar and mispellings. In my expereience, how we type and comment in a public place may be somewhat indicitave of how we work.
    This client, after i had done a good chunk of work, let me know that he was not the actual client i thought he was, but rather a middle-man of sorts. He had outsourced me you could say. Now that i am typing this, i realize i should ask, is this a violation? I must add i did get paid, even though he ended the contract before we were done. 
    I did some shallow searching for feedback removal - i am not Top Rated (yet), but wanted some input and might not even need to be for this one.

Thanks for reading and replying!

ben

4 REPLIES 4
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Ben,

You may read this article to help you know the factors that can affect your JSS as well as how can you improve it. Thank you and good luck!

Untitled
jcullinan
Community Member

Moderators won't be specific with you because JSS calculation is supposed to be somewhat shrouded in mystery, but here are some things I've learned.

@Ben B wrote:

1. Client One hired me three months ago, and i have not heard from him since. I have messaged him after two months and recived no reply. I had little work when this started and agreed to a rate that was less than half of my last contract. I don't mind letting it go. Does keeping it alive help my JSS, even if no work is done? I guess a better way to ask it is, aside from the low rate ( i can propose new terms i am realizing as i type) is there any reason not to just let it sit, even if no work is ever done?

Inactive contracts DO cause a drop in JSS if you've received no payments in the last 90 days (or so). If there has been no money paid on the contract, once you close it, it will disappear from your work history, and no public feedback will show, either. If, however, the client comes back and leaves negative private feedback, that will lower your JSS as well. Chances are they won't, if they opened the contract and never came back, so I would personally feel very comfortable just closing that one.

2. Client Two's listing on my profile reads "no feedback given" - is that my mistake that i left none for him, the other way around, or did niether of us? Does this affect my JSS / if so what can i do?

The person who closes the contract is required to give feedback to the other party, including private feedback. It is optional for the other party - they'll get an email notifying them that the contract is closed, and a prompt to log in and leave feedback, but they can just ignore it. That's why you'll see a lot of posts in the Community about getting clients to close contracts - because a pattern of no feedback will lower your JSS. But it has to be a pattern - I'm only seeing this on one out of your nine jobs, so no sweat here.

3. Client Three - My only feedback that i don't think is accurate - and that i know is full of bad grammar and mispellings. In my expereience, how we type and comment in a public place may be somewhat indicitave of how we work.

This client, after i had done a good chunk of work, let me know that he was not the actual client i thought he was, but rather a middle-man of sorts. He had outsourced me you could say. Now that i am typing this, i realize i should ask, is this a violation? I must add i did get paid, even though he ended the contract before we were done. 

I did some shallow searching for feedback removal - i am not Top Rated (yet), but wanted some input and might not even need to be for this one.

Yes, clients can outsource you. It's not ideal, but it's not verboten.

The feedback itself from this one isn't horrible, it just seems clueless. Any prospective client reading through your profile will probably discount it. If you really, really wanted to, you could write a response to any factual error, but honestly, I'd just leave it alone, and I wouldn't use my Top Rated perk on it unless I knew for sure that it was dropping me below 90%.

Once you close out the inactive contract and finish a few more with positive feedback, you should easily get above 90% and on the road to Top Rated. Just make sure to let the client do the closing when possible, because then they HAVE to leave you feedback.

thank you for the great reply! it was helpful and insightful 🙂

Hi Ben. If your client who farmed out the job to you received that job as an Upwork freelancer, that's only permitted on fixed-price contracts, and only if the end-client has agreed to it. 

Long-term clients do give you an extra JSS  bonus, but to count for this they must have PAID you over a period of 3 months or more.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Apr 25
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths